#1 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,257 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth, until I find a bigger playground

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:39 AM

hey, we all know our local free fest, and maybe we think it's lame, but someone else might be traveling through and need a day off the road, or think the idea is great.
So: what a great free fest you know of? Be sure to list location.
  • Asmo likes this
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

Unless I post MOD NOTE, I'm replying as a member of the community.

#2 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,257 posts

Posted August 20 2006 - 06:50 AM

OKla:
Woody guthrie Free Folks Fest
Okeemah, Okla (East of OKC/ Shawnee on 40)
Held weekends close to Woody's Bday (July 14)
Some paid halls in town. Camping at Pastures of Plenty amphitheatre (read- cow pasture)

Calif.
Grover Beach (some one know where this is? San Louis Obispo county)
Aug. 26 Wolrd Music faire
Looks rather cheesey, but a couple jewels stand out: Aphrodesia, Resination, Satori Daiko (I'm a drum freak), Better Late than Never (bluegrass)
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

#3 MikeE

MikeE

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationEast Pole

Posted August 21 2006 - 05:22 PM

Calif.
Davis Whole Earth Festival
Every Mother's Day weekend (2nd weekend in May) on the UC Davis Quad.
Starts Fri. noon till Sun. eve. No camping on the University propery.
4 Entertainment Stages. 3 Education venues.
Last year only 3% of the Festival's waste went to the landfill. The rest was composted or recycled.

#4 loveisfree

loveisfree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted August 30 2006 - 12:29 PM

Any WI festivals?

#5 jane a

jane a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted August 31 2006 - 10:16 AM

In California
Parkland bluegrass festival. the weekend after mother's day. Its full of rednecks, ranchers, and republicans, but everyone is real nice after theyve had a beer or five. Some great acts each year.

#6 shedtroll

shedtroll

Peace, Love & Linux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted September 10 2006 - 12:10 PM

If your in scotland and your traveling through edinburgh, be sure to cheak out the edinburgh tree fest at inverleith Park.

See the website for details.

Why should we fear that which is different...

#7 barter mama

barter mama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted October 09 2006 - 05:47 PM

HEMPFEST! In Seattle, usually around the third weekend of August. There are many other hempfests in other cities, too. I know there are some in Eugene and Portland, Oregon, and even one in my little town of Moscow Idaho (it's usually around 4/20).

BARTER FAIRS are all over the northwest. See www.barterfair.org for current info & dates. One of my favorites is in Tonasket, WA in October, it's called the Okanogan Family Faire.
Posted Image
~megan
:rainbow: (barter faire addict) :rainbow:

#8 familydog

familydog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 07:05 AM

Canada:

Sunfest, awesome cultural festival with music (the main attraction for most), food, and booths (which are a bit lame and commercialized now).
London, Ontario, usually either the first or second weekend in July, starting on thursday night going till sunday in Victoria Park
Posted Image

#9 podious

podious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 07:46 PM

#10 Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27

Surrender to the Flow

• PipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted January 16 2007 - 08:51 PM

Pennsylvania - 7/16

Turks head music festival.

100 South Brandywine Street.
west chester pennsylvania, 19335.
7/16 @ everheart park 12:00-8:00

about a dozen local bands, with styles ranging from, bluegrass, to rock, to jam.
over 75 crafters and information booths. kid's games and amusements rides.

Posted Image

#11 42007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 02:57 PM

The www.SoundQuiltMusicFestival.com is free. Camping however, costs $25.00 for the entire weekend. There is no profit made by the generous people in charge.
The Location is Gore, VA!

#12 NoGodsNoMasters

NoGodsNoMasters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 02:05 PM

Does anyone know if any free fests still exist in England? I'd love to know.
Big A little A, bouncing B, the system might have got you but it won't get me

#13 Rue Takedo

Rue Takedo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hash Bash!
Ann Arbor, MI (check around the Diag!)
Weekend of April 20th.
-Rue Takedo-

Posted Image

"I don't look like they do
And I don't love like they do
But I don't hate like they do
Am I ever on your mind?"
- Evans Blue, "Cold (I'm Still Here)"

#14 sublimegrl

sublimegrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 03:25 PM

i hear ozzfest is free ... never was my scene tho ... just throwin it out there
Posted Image

#15 firedragon

firedragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 07:57 AM

Does anyone know of any Rainbow gatherings in British Columbia Canada this summer. Even close by such as seattle would be cool. I'd like to hook up and check out the community this summer. Meet new people share thoughts and idea's.

Peace be in you
  • Ashalicious likes this

#16 gandhiwars

gandhiwars

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 10:17 AM

Does anyone know of any Rainbow gatherings in British Columbia Canada this summer. Even close by such as seattle would be cool. I'd like to hook up and check out the community this summer. Meet new people share thoughts and idea's.

Peace be in you

Check out www.Welcomehome.org for rainbow happenings. It's the best way to find inf0- even if the website is a little hard to navigate.
We Had A Dream, We Had Everything, We Rode To The End Of The World, We Rode Searching, Climbed Skyscrapers, Which Later Exploded, The Peace Was Gone.

#17 phflhippie

phflhippie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 14 2007 - 11:37 PM

just go to cochran's mill ga and invite people its perfect
The monk bought lunch
Ha ha, he bought a little
Yes, he did
Woo!
This is the best part of the trip
This is the trip, the best part
I really like

#18 i'm_not_beethoven420

i'm_not_beethoven420

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted March 17 2007 - 06:59 PM

i hear ozzfest is free ... never was my scene tho ... just throwin it out there

LOL, no, Ozzfest is not free, altho they do kick down a few cheap tix at the begining of tix sales.

#19 Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27

Surrender to the Flow

• PipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted March 17 2007 - 07:27 PM

LOL, no, Ozzfest is not free, altho they do kick down a few cheap tix at the begining of tix sales.

i dont think this is the best thread for this conversation, but.

from the offical ozzfest website:
"2007 will forever mark the year OZZFEST spiked the concert industry's punch and gave every head-banging American kid a reason to strap on an air guitar with the historic announcement that tickets to the summer.s premiere touring concert festival won't cost fans a dime."
http://ozzfest.com/news_2007.html

Posted Image

#20 monosphere

monosphere

Holly's Hubby

• PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 09:59 PM

Ozzfest might be free, but you're still paying the price with your time and attention. You'll never get those hours back again.

NW Folklife Festival is free and is held at the Seattle Center during Memorial Weekend. Several stages, inside and out, with music and dance from all around the world. bluegrass, bellydancing, reggae, performers from the Andes, spoken word, Tuvan throat singing, lots of food and vendors. It's the food and vendors that empty your pocketbook, but if you have any willpower, you can avoid that.

#21 TARABELLE

TARABELLE

on the road less traveled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted April 10 2007 - 04:39 PM

Ozzfest might be free, but you're still paying the price with your time and attention. You'll never get those hours back again.

Well, that's slightly harsh, as there are people, like me, who enjoy that music genre. If fact, I enjoyed last year's Ozz Fest, (can you say Ozzy and SOAD, hell, yes!) much more than any music festival I've ever attended here. The people at Ozz Fest were overwhelmingly nice and friendly. We met some wonderful people from Canada among many others. Everybody we saw was having a wonderful time all day.

Each to their own, I always say!
What lies behind us and
what lies before us are
small matters compared
to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted Image

#22 Niketa

Niketa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 02:16 PM

any free in east tennessee, knoxville/servierville/maryville/morristown area? :D

#23 earthfriend

earthfriend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 02:23 PM

www.nwfolklife.org

It is a free, fun, cultured 3-day festival in Seattle WA, right at under the Space Needle..workshops on drumming, all sorts of ethnic food vendors, lots of diverse music, fun fun fun!!
"Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." --Albert Einstein

#24 monosphere

monosphere

Holly's Hubby

• PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, I'm going to Seattle Folklife next weekend. I've been on many an occasion and always had a blast. Nice thing about the location is that it's also near the Experience Music Project, Sci-Fi museum, Space Needle (as mentioned), Science Center and IMAX, and the Children's Museum. They have several stages set up throughout the center (mostly pedestrian section) and a nice big fountain that kids (and adults) can run through. All free, with the exception of what you spend at the vendors.

#25 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,257 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 06:39 AM

Well, that's slightly harsh, as there are people, like me, who enjoy that music genre. If fact, I enjoyed last year's Ozz Fest, (can you say Ozzy and SOAD, hell, yes!) much more than any music festival I've ever attended here. The people at Ozz Fest were overwhelmingly nice and friendly. We met some wonderful people from Canada among many others. Everybody we saw was having a wonderful time all day.

Each to their own, I always say!

well that's because they were canadian? :) Texas metal fests, for an example, are quite different.
and yeah, I work a few metal shows. Give me folk anyday, and even a hippie rave...loving Bassnectar these days.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

#26 TARABELLE

TARABELLE

on the road less traveled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 12:45 PM

Everybody seemed just so happy to be at Ozzfest, it just was spilling over everywhere. Posted Image

And Seattle's Folklife Fest is one of the best around. And like Monosphere said, it's relatively inexpensive - free to get in! I really liked the local music. And there's lots of it!
What lies behind us and
what lies before us are
small matters compared
to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted Image

#27 dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy

Refried Hippie

• PipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 04:42 PM

This weekend is our annual freedom weekend aloft gathering. It's been in the area for years and this weekend will be in my home town of simpsonville. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me to this celebration? I'll be there most definitely Sunday and possibly Friday and Saturday, at least for the booths.

Basically it's a.... well, people set up booths and there are concerts (Goo Goo Dolls are playing Sunday, Josh Grobin, some other up and comings and some has beens!) It's held in a big field (this year at Heritage Park) and there are hot air balloon shows on Saturday afternoons. As well as fireworks and the whole lot.

We use to celebrate it 4th of July weekend but it got too hot.

It's free to get in and $20 to see the concerts... which isn't bad for Goo Goo Dolls and is often set up in Woodstock fashion. Everyone gathers in a big field and dances etc etc.

Average turn out is around 10K a weekend. At least that's what it use to be about 10 years ago. This time it's going to be in a different area than it ever has before... less than a mile from my boyfriends house.

I hope you guys take the time to come out. I would love to get to meet you guys and have some fun. Maybe we can make some crafts and pass out at the fair. (Oh, there are kiddie rides too.... it's basically a bazarr.)

Here's a link... http://www.freedomweekend.org/

I want lots of feedback!

Posted Image

#28 angie252525

angie252525

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 05:40 AM

ive had a great time at ozzfest each year i attended.

can i have more info about that fest in WA my email is alandry08@hotmail.com if you dont mind :)
Angelique :sunny:

#29 monosphere

monosphere

Holly's Hubby

• PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 08:41 PM

ive had a great time at ozzfest each year i attended.

can i have more info about that fest in WA my email is alandry08@hotmail.com if you dont mind :)

This will help ya.

http://www.nwfolklife.org/

#30 prettylittlehippy

prettylittlehippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 08:24 AM

colorado festies?
eh?
Posted Image
lie together
cry together
i swear to god i hope we fucking die together :)
<nik3

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop