A Hip Job!

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by Curious_Jane, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

Hello I'm new to this forum but it seemed like just the place for my question..........I'm 22 years old and just recently got my NCMA (Nationally Certified Medical Assistant)diploma and had a job from nov 05 to may 06 as I was fired because the business owners and doctor parted ways and had this huge legal battle over who owned the employs.We did not recieve and pay check for three weeks because of all the mudslinging and I refused to go back to work until I was paid for my time already worked.At the end I was fired and never recieved my 20 hours of pto time to boot!All my life I wanted to be a small business owner I bounced different ideas in my head from cafe to salon to headshop and thrif store.I know now that my passion is in music and hip style products and would like to head in that direction.........I live an area that has no need for such a business but when my partner John graduates school in july of this year we where looking at the Arizona or Florida area as future homes......This is my dream to live and work for myself out of the dependence apon someone else to support or tell me what they think my worth is....I'm looking for as many pointers and tips along with helpful books and websites to get this started particularly in this area of business I'm interested in.........This would be a big help! Thanks Everyone[​IMG]

2. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

Have you contacted a lawyer about your previous job? You got screwed! You should be paid for hours worked, and probably interest if it's been a very long time.

I don't know anything about Arizona, but Florida has kind of a reputation for being the place for vendors, because it has warm winters and many tourists. However, that reputation draws a lot of vendors all thinking the same thing, and there is enough competition that it isn't that easy. I'm told that many parts of Florida are very, very expensive.

My advice to you would be to start small, and work your way up. My friend Aaron runs a very successful hippie shop in Rochester. He built it up from a small vendor cart. Perhaps you might consider starting out selling on ebay or even with a hip shop here, and gradually growing your business a little at a time.

3. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

Thats a great idea! I've thought about doing fleamarkets and craft festivals while still working a full time job but I don't know where to buy the products? I know about whole sale and how to turn a small profit from markups but not how to attain high qulity merchandise at the a low price?

4. kitty fabulous

Well it takes awhile to learn the good distributors, and it helps to know someone in the business to show you the ropes. I'd recommend you have a clear but flexible idea of what exactly you want to sell before you get started. There are lots of wholesalers on the web, the best thing I can suggest there is search and research. Look for wholesalers with a low minimum order to start. You can get a lower price later on when you are ordering greater quanities, but for starters you don't want to get over-stocked. A case or two of this or that and see how it moves before you reorder. A lot of vendors start out buying on ebay, because they can order small quantities for a reasonable price.

What I suggest you do is start going to flea markets near you and talking to the other vendors. Hang out in the kind of shops you want to create. Get advice from people actually doing it.

Good luck!

5. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

I have alot of friends who work in the area Im interested in and most of them have parents who own that business so I ahve been tring to get a part time job in one of their shops and see what its like and ask around when I meet people who do this as well..... I wnat to start with accessories like ahnd bags,jewelery,hats,ect ect....Things I can not get and find cheap but make as well...... I have made jewelery for years and just given it away to friends.... I know where some fleamarkets are close by and that their booths rates are not that bad...... I also thought about having cards made up if things do good to advertise it more..... I have alot of ideas but money and thats has aways been my problem!

6. kitty fabulous

A part time job is a good way to start learning the business. Be aware that if you want to sell items you make, it may be a good idea to sell other people's work as well, or else take the winter off for production, because otherwise you're not going to have the time.

7. badwolf

badwolf Member

Another way to promote your buisness is having an Esty shop featuring your homemade/crafted stuff (if thats the kind of shop you want).

8. Curious_Jane

Curious_Jane Member

well I'm mostly interested in hemp accessories,jewelery,handbags, at the moument but would like to add music as well if I got a store going....Other things would come along Im sure if the need was there...........

9. malakala

malakala Member

I think the key to success is uniqueness. There are thousands of those little "hippie shops" ...you need to make yours stand out. Get creative, and offer a wide variety of merchandise that you can't find easily elsewhere. Also, a great vibe at your store will do wonders; lighting, decor, color, instore music, etc. And don't go with some cliche name for your business (ie, some Dead song title or something); make people wonder what your store is about so they'll investigate out of curiosity. I barely ever step foot into a shop that's big inventory is hemp jewelery and is named "Ripple" or "Sugar Magnolias", dig? It's too tired and played out. Offer freshness!

The single most important thing though, is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! A wonderful concept and great business will fail if not located in the right spot, hands down, every time.

10. kitty fabulous

Location is important to consider, even if you're a market or sidewalk vendor with a cart or a portable stand. Choose the markets/shows/festivals you vend at carefully. And consider the price of a spot in proportion to the money-making potential. For example, I can pay $5 a spot to vend in the weekly Moravia farmer's market, which most people ignore, and it'd be unlikely I'd sell much hippy gear to the local yokels. (Might try it anyway, though, for the practice, and because they will buy the pro-organic and biofuel bumperstickers.) The Park Ave Festival in Rochester costs $250 for an artist/crafter to vend at, and there will probably be a lot of people interested in hemp jewelery and macrame. But enough to justify the cost of a spot? I'm not sure - maybe in later years, but certainly not now. A friend I know who does patchwork recommends you never pay more than $100 a spot, unless you know you've got enough products that really move.

Keep in mind, however, that it's ok to start small, and that allows you the flexibility to learn as you grow and not have to consider everything all at once.

11. AmyC.

AmyC. Member

To get paid, contact your local Labor Board!
    I had to once & I did get paid!
    Best wishes for you & your dreams.