Caffeine Allergy = mental illnes Warning

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Peter Popper, May 24, 2006.

1. Peter Popper

Peter Popper Tripper

JUST A WARNING http://mentalhealth.about.com/library/yourturn/uc091602.htm

Symptoms of cerebral allergy can range from minimal reactions, such as lack of comprehension and inability to focus, to severe psychotic states, such as delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations

Toxicity is known to cause excitement, agitation, restlessness, shifting states of consciousness, and toxic psychosis (10), mimicking amphetamine psychosis. Allergic individuals may be erroneously diagnosed, medicated, and lost in a dark disturbed world, until death.

a young woman, allergic to caffeine, presented with alternating states of delirium and mania, resembling schizophrenia

In allergic persons, each cup of coffee, cola, tea, every piece of chocolate, and any ingested caffeine products, intensifies toxic psychosis. Half-life increases. Subsequent doses, including minute amounts, act as a bolus. Cells are poisoned, including neurons.

(6). It's known that amphetamine psychosis can't be distinguished from schizophrenia (7,8). With a caffeine allergic person's inability to eliminate, continually ingesting caffeine, neurotransmitter levels, including dopamine and adrenaline, quickly increase. Cells rapidly absorb the drug.

One woman's conversational topics wandered from subject to subject. She screamed, and believed that she was in prison. Natural judgement was impaired (1). In 1931, a truck driver brought to the hospital in a confused and irritable condition, complained of being attacked by flies. Flies were never present. Examination revealed that he'd consumed large amounts of cola

Caffeine toxicity may also masquerade as depression, and anxiety.

Proportionate to toxicity, physical withdrawal may take up to 12 months, or longer. Recovery symptoms include memory loss, confusion, tremors, agitated states, insomnia or somnolence, and nightmares associated with amphetamine withdrawal. Following physical recovery, residual mental symptoms, primarily confusion and mood alterations, may exist for several months.
    (Probably why i feel so fucked all the time, but i keep forgeting this and getting confused. i, myself have caffeine allergy)

2. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

All I drink is caffine, Ive been drinking it since I was a toddler, I probably drink two cases of cafinated soda a week.

3. lynsey

lynsey Banned

wow this is what my ex psychiatrist thought may be contributing to my anxiety since I had no history of mental imbalance before I started drinking coffee at about 19. Sometimes after I drink coffee I get a very bad panic attack or feel delusional or confused or manic or depressed or angry. I should really try to cut back asap. Thank you so much for this artical!

4. Xac

Xac Visitor

Hey lynsey if you suffer from panic any sort of uppers can trigger an attack so you might not be allergic but it can still mess with you.

5. Peter Popper

Peter Popper Tripper

lynsey - Id like to know if cutting back at all helps. However, it takes 1 week or two to noticably notice the difference.

it was my insanely high daily intake of caffeine, that led to my toxicity.
    plus i started using amphetamines with caffeine which your not sapose to do, it gave me incredible psychosis. which slowly led to my complete toxicity.

i belive i was taken by aliens. And i get concerened that myself could come running through the door at any time. trying to convince myself to go with me.

6. Zajko

Zajko Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This describes my own experience exactly.

Until I went to a doctor at the age of 33, and he ordered me never to touch it again, I was a coffee adict. Coffee transported me to a different reality full of bright colors and wild geometrical shapes, which grew weirder and wilder as my addiction grew. It was a genuine halucinogen. I remember drinking coffee one morning, walking into town, drinking another cup of coffee, walking up to the mezzanine, and turning around to see the stairway moving and swaying back and forth - I had no idea how I was going to get back down those stairs. I was also, toward the end, unable to stand up after a cup of coffee - the ground would start swaying like the deck of a ship.

One unanticipated result of giving up coffee and getting caffeine out of my system at age 33 is that I was able to experience orgasm for the first time! During my entire youth I had been unable to orgasm through either sex or masturbation, and it was apparently the caffeine, which I had been drinking heavily since age 13-14, that was blocking it.

Now my question is this:

WHY DOES OUR SOCIETY THROW KIDS IN JAIL FOR SELLING CRACK AROUND SCHOOLYARDS - BUT TOLERATES BIG BUSINESS LACING SOFT DRINKS WITH CAFFEINE - FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF MAKING THEM ADDICTIVE - AND MARKETING THEM TO CHILDREN??!!!

7. Cosmic Butterfly

Cosmic Butterfly Member

I had to cut my coffee addiction to decaf because I was getting horrible anxiety. Like I felt like something terrible was going to happen as if someone was going to die. Not good for me mentally at all. Plus if I didnt have my fix I would get a pounding migraine.

Adios Coffee!

8. lost in smoke

lost in smoke Member

i want to stop drinkin coffee really! really really, i think im startin to associate my dissassociated feeling with coffee, but it seems so odd to associate it with one of the worlds major commodities!

9. lost in smoke

lost in smoke Member

but wen ur by the kettle, strong coffee is always too tempting

10. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

I just drank some coffee and after it felt very strange as if I had smoked pot, you know that feeling in your mind. This has new to me and am wondering if it is this caffeine allergy.

11. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I wouldn't go around just assuming it's an allergy to caffeine.

However, caffeine and espiecially coffee has many normal side effects- espiecially if you drink too much of it and drink too much on an EMPTY STOMACH.

Most of the time I can handle coffee just fine (though I don't like to drink it that often)- but there are times when I drink it on an empty stomach and well, it's not pleasant. I've had a full blown panic attack brought on before from drinking coffee because I couldn't breathe right and my heart was pounding so fast. This was on two cups of coffee but it had been about two months since I had ANY coffee.

12. PurpleMapleTree

PurpleMapleTree Member

That was interesting to read. I've had panic attacks since I was a child, and within the past 3 years my doctor has directed me to stay away from anything with caffeine. It absolutley makes a difference. The slightest bit of anything caffinated will set me up to have a panic attack later that day. I find that chocolate is the worst, as is coffee, and soda. Tea doesn't effect me nearly as much.

13. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Caffeine can lead to anxiety because it gives you unhealthy, unnatural energy.

However, it isn't safe to assume that because you have a panic attack after drinking a couple sodas and a cup of coffee that it's an allergy. From what I understand about caffeine, that's what it does, in general... and I didn't think this was news.

But more so, the problem lies within YOU. If you're having panic attacks, don't blame it on coffee. You need therapy. When I began therapy I cut my caffeine intake down until therapy started helping. Now I'm drinking coffee regularly again, and I'm just fine, because I know how to handle my anxiety and panic attacks.

Everything in this world will have some sort of affect on one person or another, so it is your job to gauge what it is in your surroundings, or what it is that you're consuming that is giving you difficulties. And either find a way to work with it, or get rid of it.

I'm not sticking up for caffeine, because I'd really like to try to break my addiction to it one day... simply put though, everything has its risks, and only you can decide which ones you don't want to deal with and which ones you can work with.

Breathing the air everyday is a risk to your health for fucks sake. I get a bit irritated with things like this, only because everyday it's something new, this or that causes cancer, or is an allergen or causes this or that... Shit, people, just LIVE.

I'm not saying go out and smoke a ton of crack because everything can be dangerous anyway, I'm just saying, sometimes you need to just relax, and just live, and remember that you need to cut yourself some slack sometimes because there is no fucking way you will ever be living "perfectly healthy"

14. Peter Popper

Peter Popper Tripper

there is a difference between caffeine giving you a panic attack or a little anxiety, and caffeine allergy.

ZajkoThis describes my own experience exactly.

Until I went to a doctor at the age of 33, and he ordered me never to touch it again, I was a coffee adict. Coffee transported me to a different reality full of bright colors and wild geometrical shapes, which grew weirder and wilder as my addiction grew. It was a genuine halucinogen. I remember drinking coffee one morning, walking into town, drinking another cup of coffee, walking up to the mezzanine, and turning around to see the stairway moving and swaying back and forth - I had no idea how I was going to get back down those stairs. I was also, toward the end, unable to stand up after a cup of coffee - the ground would start swaying like the deck of a ship.

One unanticipated result of giving up coffee and getting caffeine out of my system at age 33 is that I was able to experience orgasm for the first time! During my entire youth I had been unable to orgasm through either sex or masturbation, and it was apparently the caffeine, which I had been drinking heavily since age 13-14, that was blocking it.

Now my question is this:

WHY DOES OUR SOCIETY THROW KIDS IN JAIL FOR SELLING CRACK AROUND SCHOOLYARDS - BUT TOLERATES BIG BUSINESS LACING SOFT DRINKS WITH CAFFEINE - FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF MAKING THEM ADDICTIVE - AND MARKETING THEM TO CHILDREN??!!! QUOTE -QUOTE-QUOTE

the first signs of caffein allergy is that when you look around things seem perhaps a little extra rich, extra euphoric and you have a strange feeling in your head and you just know somthing is strange. this is the first stage, then it turns into full blown crazyness. if i have one teaspoon of coffe, it feels like an experience to walk through the door. it makes you feel like your loosing grip of reallity. it gives you delusions, i prayed to aliens to contact me through an M&M tube. i suddenly realised i had been taken by aliens as a child, at which point i was shaking violently pacing round the house in a delusional fit. i thought my friends brain was leeeching into mine and it had an evil presence, and i couldnt sit next to my friend and things gott very weird. it felt like my conscouness was slipping out of my head onto the floor. i would go on these crazy estatic hi's that were so insane nobody could beleive it, then be soo low and perculier in a matter of one day. i had flashes of images of aliens and shit in relation to missing memory and beliving i had been abducted. just sitting in class it was like i was stuck in some crazy world, looking onto the varandah talking to somone it was like the verandah was moving and the pipe was doign strange things , i cant describe the way it was. i 100% thought i had shizophrenia, all my friends thought for sure. i was so paranoid i would have a delusion while near my mum, there completly uncontrollable. when i thought it was schizophrenia, i thought caffeine could be making the problem worse, so i stopped. it takes days (weeks, months) before you become back to fully normal because your body cannot metabolise caffeine when your allergic. for this reason people dont think caffeine is the problem so they continually unawareinling ingest caffeine. My symtoms were bad cause i would put about 5 or more heaped teaspoons of coffe in a single cup of coffe, then drink red bulls or take caffeine pills.
    i planned to kill myself after a few months if things didnt improve, reality was that distant. (this is when i didnt realize it was caffeine.)
    i whant to spread the word about caffeine allergy, cause i just wonder how many people have been suffering all their lives on medications with what they thought was schizophrenia, and is just caffine. or all the people who killed themselves. (i love life, and am certainly not the one to want to die,)

my allergy to caffein came after a few years of really high daily ingestion of caffine.

15. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

wow this is very shocking and interesting to hear. As of late I have been digesting an extreme amount of caffeince, specifically coffee and chocolate. I have also been having serious issues with anxiety and stress and cannot turn my mind off of harmful thoughts. Ive also been somewhat depressed. I think I need a healthier diet. I am definately going to make a big step tochange that.

16. LittleBee

LittleBee Members

I used to have 6/7 cups of coffee a day (either black or cappuccino).
    But then I felt like fed up and now enjoying green tea.
    but it's said that green tea has much more caffeine rather than coffee.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

i don't feel that caffeine really has that much effect on me.

18. morrow

morrow Visitor

Pound for pound, tea has more caffeine than coffee!

Buy a good decafe coffee! You will never notice the difference, and decaf tea is stronger, so your quids in!