Vendors?

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by kitty fabulous, May 19, 2006.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

Does anyone vend at festivals or flea markets? I might be vending at Bonnaroo this year with a friend who's showing me the ropes of the business.

2. chime

chime Member

i vend at festivals. usually i guerrilla vend, which means i'm there unofficially and subject to being thrown out. but i never have been. bonnaroo rocks for vending! they have shakedown rows, or you can just throw down a blanket. they do have a general rip-off store that sells the essentials for high prices. i hear things are going to be a little different this year, so be careful. i did see a couple of undercover busts last year. the things bonnaroo has no sense of humour for is: nox, and anything bootlegged with their logo or name on it. other than that they pretty much leave you alone because there is so much of it going on. there is a lot of glass pipes there. things that go well are things that are different but not too pricey, original t shirts, things you really need (like lighters & cigs & such), and liquor. good luck and be smart.

3. kitty fabulous

Well, if everything works out and I do actually make it, I'm not going to be vending alone, nor guerrilla vending. Arden is there every year I guess. She has a big head shop in Ithaca, and she's offered to let me share her space, if I have enough inventory by then. My start-up funds are taking their time trickling in, don't know what the hold-up is.

Have you ever vended at Starwood? I guerrilla vend or barter there sometimes, and am not sure whether I want to try going "legit" this year or not.

4. the_allister

the_allister Member

I got hired to help sell tie dyes at a bunch of art fairs and music festivals last year. this summer i'm moving in with the artists and am going to be learning the trade and helping out with like anything that needs doing.

so far, the coolest show we have done is vegoose, by the promoters of bonaroo.

working at shows is so much fun!

5. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

we used to do both methods & legit is usually better for cash flow but it's draining. we used to do a 3 day festival in KC where we started out selling right outside of our bus on the road outside the festival grounds, then did a blanket just outside the entrance , then finally got a legit booth.

Hopefully someone else will be watching the kids Kitty Fabulous; if the weather's nice, you'll be to busy to look out for yourself! Survival hints: freeze a gallon of honey lemonaid & have a second chilled to stick in a cooler, frozen water containers are a good idea too; you'd be surprised how much a person can drink while yelling over music in the heat all day. Sunscreen!!! Even if you tan, even if the booth will be tarped; the backs of legs are very vulnerable in a tarped booth. & Munchies, especially if you don't eat greasy festival food which you might not have time to buy anyway cuz the lines are so long.

Biggest thing tho, is to stay 'up' (in a good mood) & have fun with it; the sales come naturally if you're having fun! Good Luck!

6. kitty fabulous

I've arranged to have the kids stay with their father. Arden brings her kids sometimes, but I want to be able to concentrate on work and learning.

I thought about clipping some shower curtain rings full of hemp necklaces to the belt loops of a pair of cut-offs, and walking around selling necklaces that way. Most of the time I imagine I'll be busy, though.

7. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

ACK! what happened? why is my reply posting as you? I think I might have clicked "edit" instead of "quote" by mistake...sorry :& still getting the hang of this...

I'm looking for Vendors to service Goodstock 2007 Peacefest in WV. To be schedueled for Memorial weekend of 2007. If anyone is interested please contact me by pm.

I'm PMing you, I'm curious.

I was living in Woodstock with a man who worked for one of the vendors. He told me the way to sell incense was to burn it. He used to stick an entire package of nag champa or sai flora into the ground, and burn it all at once. People would smell it, and be drawn to his stand.

guess I won't have to work to hard at that part! People can usually smell the patchouly oil in my dreads from 10 feet away! :p

8. uproar

uproar Member

I've done a lot of local craft fairs, as well as a bigger indie craft fair in Austin, TX called Stitch (put on by the Austin Craft Mafia).

I'm also very familiar with large, open-air flea markets, as my mom has owned one for the past 10 years. Unfortunately the pavillions got wiped away last fall by Hurricane Katrina, but she will be rebuilding the flea market, hopefully starting soon (the land is currently being rented to FEMA).