Mandolin scales

Discussion in 'Country, Bluegrass and Old Time' started by hippie-McHipperson, Apr 17, 2006.

1. hippie-McHipperson

hippie-McHipperson Member

I play guitar, though about six months ago I got a mandolin and kindof taught myself all the chords and such enough to play it decently. Now I know that on guitar to solo there are penatonics and long runs along with scales - (a scale, b scale, c scale....) but I dont know how to solo on mandolin - ive looked all over the place - it would be great if anyone could tell me where i could find mandolin scales or whatever patterns are used for soloing - thanks!

2. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

mandolincafe.com

3. hippie-McHipperson

hippie-McHipperson Member

Ive looked there (amazing site) - its what i used to teach myslelf chords, but i ant find scales there. Could you link me if I just cant find it- or were you just recommeneding looking there.

4. pdga24861

pdga24861 Member

You could just go the bad ass way and just forget about scales and theory and what not. or you could learn theory. There are formulas for all the different types of scales, and this will apply to all instruments, mandolin, banjo, guitar, ukulele etc. just pick up a theory book and learn from that. there is a book out there called "mandolin scales and studies" you could use that as a refrence to the theory, but scales wont help you unless you know the theory behind it. as for solos you just have to go with it, you know, just jam and find something that works, scales cant really teach you to solo, they are just guidlines.

sorry if im preaching

peace

5. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

6. Ginger Ali

Ginger Ali Seeker

Thanks, seems like a pretty good site! I'm learning some mandolin as well at the moment so this stuff looks interesting. I'm not as serious as to get a book, so it's good to be able to check out stuff online when needed.

7. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Glad to help out.