Addiction Discussion

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Tsubasa, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Last Stand

Last Stand Banned

Your lights are on, but you're not home
    Your mind is not your own
    Your heart sweats, your body shakes
    Another kiss is what it takes

You can't sleep, you can't eat
    There's no doubt, you're in deep
    Your throat is tight, you can't breathe
    Another kiss is all you need

Ohh oohh
    you like to think that you're immune to the stuff
    It's closer to the truth to say you can't get enough
    you know you're gonna have to face it
    you're addicted to love

You see the signs, but you can't read
    You're runnin' at a different speed
    You heart beats in double time
    Another kiss and you'll be mine, a one track mind

You can't be saved
    Oblivion is all you crave
    If there's some left for you
    You don't mind if you do

Ohh oohh
    You like to think that you're immune to the stuff
    It's closer to the truth to say you can't get enough,
    you're addicted to love

Might as well face it, you're addicted to love(5x)

Your lights are on, but you're not home
    Your will is not your own
    You're heart sweats and teeth grind
    Another kiss and you'll be mine

Ohh oohh
    you like to think that you're immune to the stuff
    It's closer to the truth to say you can't get enough
    you're addicted to love

Might as well face it, you're addicted to love(5x)

2. wonderboy

wonderboy the secret of your power!

Yeah, well, there was another guy in my res more into it than me, and he only JUST left it, and he still thinks about it all the time. Instead of gaming, he spends his time on the forums, chatting, etc etc ABOUT WoW, just not actually playing it... pff. addicts hate it when you approach them... go here for some advice/suggestions! www.gamerwidow.com

I don't really know what you can do... what set it off for me is my dad really getting upset about it when I went home for christmas and just really coming clean with me - but an average friend can't really flip out on another friend and expect something good to come of it. You just gotta remind them of the other things in life, I don't really know though, to be honest.

uhh... yeah, no kidding... in the case of psychological addictions, mine was a normal one, though. name some typical behaviours to do with addictions of this nature, and i probably exhibited them.

3. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

actually i think a close friend could have the most power - but only if approached in the right way. when getting someone to overcome an addiction, you have to get a person to realise their problem, not tell the person what their problem is. its not that easy, and definately not a simple realisation, you need to be novel and subtle but make the point youre trying to make very obvious.

4. white ginger

white ginger Senior Member

Sounds like a friendship depth-tester. Scary, but so worth it. By definition, friends are honest with their friends.

5. Turn

Turn Member

Fuck yeah Cracked is a great book, its by Dr. Drew the guy who does Loveline with Adam Corolla. His point is you are most likely to become a compleat addict if you were abused as a child in any way:sexually, sever beatings, or abandoned. So yeah if you are any of those, stay away and get therepy. Also he says even if you don't use drugs you will still have behavior proablems that come out, since your brain gets rewierd when you are abused as a kid.

6. white ginger

Does Dr. Drew add that this gives the abused-as-a-child adult a chance to heal, deepen their understanding of themselves, and motivation to not settle for mediocrity in the future?

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

addiction is not inherently a disease, its just that most of the addictions that are noticable as addictions, are so because they result in negative side effects of some sort of another in the perspective of someone or another.

a heroin addiction is totally different in caus and effect to a hipforum addiction, its just that the mechanism of behavior (mediated by the brain) is the same process in both.

addiction is a process. put different input to a process, youll get different output.

8. Tsubasa

Tsubasa Member

Silly pronouns. If "this" was in reference to therapy, then yes. But if "this" was in reference to drugs as an escape, then no. He does not say that drugs will give you a chance to heal, to deepen your understanding of yourself, or prevent you from settling for mediocrity. While it is possible for some people to get these things from drugs, if someone is predispositioned by negative experiences in childhood, they are more likely to use drugs as an escape than as a method of emotional and spiritual growth.

9. white ginger

Oh, I meant 'this' in reference to the case in which the abused person didn't do or get addicted to drugs. I didn't mean to suggest that people are likely to use drugs as a means of spiritual growth. I was simply curious if the author had written much 'helpful' information, because it strikes me as irresponsible or deluded to write a book about the effect of abuse to a child in terms of the child's brain development, and not mention the huge potential for growth from that situation that could easily exceed the growth the person would have had, had the abuse not happened.

10. Tsubasa

Tsubasa Member

I didn't feel that the doctor implied complete victim status to the abused minds. He always expressed a continuing hope and belief in recovery. (The book was about addicts, so it's not as if he was focusing on abused children and saying they would become addicts, but rather that he continually saw addicts who were abused as children. He doesn't seem to believe the abuse limits them as much as their unhealthy habits (mental and narcotic) do.

11. Jennasia

Jennasia Member

I'm sure people who were abused as children are prone to addictions. I was hook'd on coke for almost a year and was never abused I just have an addictive personality which is really all it takes. I was doing a line every half hour/hour at work at home wherever I was I made sure I always had enough on me for the day.

I can't have it around me cuz i love coke it's my absolute all time weakness but I kicked the habit by myself. I've been almost two months clean I know that's not very long but I think about it everyday still. Actually I started coming into the hip drug forums while I was struggling with quitting and oddly enough I think it helped keep my mind straight while I was doing lines all night.

I would stare at myself in the mirror while I was at work and think, "what am I doing to myself???" but still I didn't stop. A person has to really want to stop or they just won't, I didn't stop til I was really, really ready I know everybody keeps saying that but it's cuz it's really true that's the only way to kick an addiction. The incredibly stupid thing about it all is that I wasn't getting much out of coke anymore cuz I was so tolerant but I was fiending so hard for it. I was totally addicted and it was purely mental.

That was the lowest point of my life I would panic & cry when I ran out and was just nasty to my friends when they refused to get me more when I couldn't get ahold of my dealer. I would have driven to the ends of the earth to get more if that's what it took. When people around you start telling you they notice a change in you is when you realize you've let things get out of control but you dont care anyway cuz all you care about is coke. Everything that ever meant anything to me just didn't matter anymore, that's the truely scarey thing.

I would lay in bed and cry for somebody to help me but there was nobody around cuz I didn't let on how bad my addiction got. I never want to be that person again I was a very ugly person. The thing is I think I've changed since then, I'm more secluded. I don't really know why perhaps I'm still mentally getting over it......dont know.

12. Jennasia

Jennasia Member

Emotion??? Perhaps but I just loved the feeling of being wired but overall very true in my case. I truely BELIEVED it was a matter of life or death. For me cocaine is the devil and I believe she'll always be calling out to me.

13. white ginger

Oh, I see. ~Thanks for letting me know