safety pin piercings

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by MissEddyG, Mar 17, 2006.

1. MissEddyG

MissEddyG Banned

so, dumb as it might be, how many of you have had something pierced with a safety pin/sewing needle/etc.? i've had my nose and bellybutton done that way...but i took out the belly one cause it got hella infected. :eek: the nose is doing fine except sometimes it's hard to get my stud in/out...

so. discuss. :D

2. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Well ....I pierced my nose with a sharpened earring post. Yes. LOL. My boyfriend at that point and time used a metal file and made the earring like needle or pin pretty much... and I just stuck 'er right through my nose. Good time. I still have it...and I did that 3 years ago. Never was infected.

I ended up using real, nose screws though, and it hurt a bit, when I decided to start using them, because the gauge on those is a bit thicker than regular earrings are. Like 18/16 gauge.

I did pierce my belly with a sewing needle, when I was 13. I ended up taking it out, because I was afraid of my parents murdering me if they found out. Got it professionally done then, when I was 16.

All of my ear piercings except for the first ones, were done by me and a handy sewing needle. Right now I only have three in each ear, but I used to have 5 in the left, and 3 in the right, plus a cartilage piercing in the left. I have a thing with my left side apparently, because now I'm stretching one of my left ear piercings as well :)

I pierced my eyebrow via sewing needle as well, and it was fine...didnt hurt, didnt hardly bleed, and I did it wonderfully....Put a hoop through it... and while playing with my cat, his claw got a hold of my hoop and as he pulled away it ripped out... NICE. It was terrible, I still have a scar.

Theeen I pierced my own lip using a needle, yet again, but that got infected. Those are hard to keep clean, even if done professionally, so doing it myself was idiotic.

It might be dumb, as you said, but.... I feel like it's my own art, more so, if I do the piercing myself. But, i'm just fuckin' weird like that. :-D

However, the only piercings I want now, I defintely am going to get done professionally.

3. MissEddyG

MissEddyG Banned

ahah wow. :eek:

i think i'd let someone else do my eyebrow, buttt...i want all sorts of other piercings (lip, tongue, etc.) that i'd have to have done professionally...:eek:

4. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i did my ears with a safety pin. it turned out fine.

5. Foreign Flower

Foreign Flower Member

I too peirced my ears the third time with a safety pin. I was not careful where I peirced them so they're just terribly uneven. Other than that they haven't given me anymore or less trouble than the ones I got done professionally.

6. KING NOVOCAINE

KING NOVOCAINE Member

haha, im not going to get into why DIY, uneducated, unsterile, non professional piercing is is a bad idea. i am proud to say i've never been pierced with a sewing needle or other relatively sharp household object. however, i got pierced with a gun when i was 6 *hangs head in shame* but i didnt know any better.

7. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

the only piercing I have is my left ear...and it was done as old school as it gets...even surpasses the sewing needle....I used a syringe with a shot of cocaine in it.....so there was no pain involved...nor infection....and that was done in 1973...times were crazy then:sunglasse

8. astrobreaux

astrobreaux "pan"

the problems with the nose and getting your ring in is due to you piercing it with the wrong needle. on heavy cartilage piercings, you must use a gauge larger hollow needle than the jewelry you intend to wear. cartilage has really poor blood flow and heals very slowly. using the gauge larger needle creates a hole big enough for the skin to grow through and form a tube. a cheap and safe source for piercing needles is a farm supply or feed store. you can get needle gauges up to 10 in various lengths, they are presterilized in a sealed tube. on a lower ear lobe you can get away other types of needles, but using these forces a hole open that seals up when it's pulled out, making it difficult to get the jewelry in, there is also alot more pain involved. the hypo needles are made to cut through effortlessly, and you can insert the end of the jewelry into the hollow needle to get it into the new hole. DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO USE A PIERCING GUN ON YOU UNLESS IT'S NEW IN A SEALED PACKAGE!!! hepatitis B can go dormant for 5 years and those cheap-o guns can't be sterilized properly. they are only for lower ear lobe use. i can't count how many customers have come in with upper ear piercings giving them problems, because they got it pierced with a gun at places like department store jewelry counters.

9. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Yeah, and on top of that...those guns are nasty anyway...the whole POP noise and everything *shudders*

ICKY!

10. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

trust this man, I did, with my dick and a needle, TWICE.

He has gentle hands :X :D

Been a year this weekend.

11. Smelly Socks

Smelly Socks is probably lurking

I pierced my nose with an ear piercer that I bought at Sally's. Worst idea ever. I ended up having to pull the back off with a pair of plyers (pliers?) shoved up my nose.

I pierced my belly button with a needle I bought at a head shop. It ended up getting infected, so I had to take it out.

I had a friend give me a labret with an earring stud. Another dumb idea.

My lip and my ears were the only professional piercings I got.

12. astrobreaux

astrobreaux "pan"

even with the right needle and doing everything by the book, it is highly likely you would have had trouble with your navel piercing. belly buttons are the worst possible piercing to consider, next to tongues. the navel carries more bacteria than your mouth, armpits and crotch combined. a navel piercing will get irritated and/or infected 2-3 times more than any other piercing, more on females since their pants ride different than guys and comes into contact with the navel more often. most jewelry out there isn't even close to suitable for ear lobes, much less anywhere else on your body. sorry you had to learn it the hard way. if anyone has any questions about piercings or problems they are having with them, please feel free to PM me.

13. astrobreaux

astrobreaux "pan"

happy anniversary!!! ready for that ampalang? hehehehehehehe

14. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

shit no! lol

15. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I did my belly button piercing with a safety pin in 7th grade history class. Haha. Then, when my friend did it and I saw just how stupid it looked, I took it out and waited for my mom to come around and get it done professionally.
    I pierced my right ear with a sewing needle when I was drunk. I still have the video tape of it. It bled and when I looked down and saw the puddle of blood on my pant leg, I got sick and took it out. So, I still just have the one piercing in each ear.
    My ears were done with a gun when I was 6 months old. They healed nicely....no infection. But, it was a gun piercing none-the-less.

16. warpedsoaper

warpedsoaper eternal optimist

When I was 5 I pierced my foot with a rusty nail.
    When I was 6 I pierced my finger webbing with a staple gun.
    When I was 9 I pierced my calf muscle with metal re-bar.
    When I was 13 I shoved a diaper pin through my navel, then I used the same needle to pierce both my nipples.
    When I was old enough to make smart desicions about body modification I did research, spent the money and only ever went to a reputable piercer!
    Just because you can doesn't mean it's a good idea.

17. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

When I was eleven I found out I was getting earings for Xmas and I had let my ears grow over.....I was afraid I would get in trouble for this, so I re-pierced them myself with a sewing needle.

That's the only time I was not pierced with a gun AND the only time there was no infection after. Coincidence? ;)

18. shinta

shinta Member

I also did my ears with a safety pin :)

19. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

Hah when I was like 14 my friend begged to pierce my ear, so I let him, with a pin. And he pierced another hole in my ear after that, I don't remember with what.. I think a sewing needle or something haha.

20. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

i pierced my second holes with a safety pin they turned out just fine