A Little Advice needed....... Please

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by TheJesusDude, Jul 5, 2004.

1. TheJesusDude

TheJesusDude Member

not sure if this is the right place to post this.........
    i want to start a band SO bad, i sing and write my own stuff, its pure expression from my soul i share to others but nobody understands
    i don't even know what to describe the music i want to do, some songs are pure pure metal, others soft rock. some blues, it just defys a catagory and all have a spiritual aspect to them and are christian themed
    i can never find anybody for a band who wants to play such a variety of music, does anyone have any advice?

2. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm guessing you aren't in a band now. First, get in a band. Start by looking for folks just to jam with. Are any of the folks you hang with players? From those sessions, you might start building a network of players who, over time, will want to hook up into a tighter-knit group than just a jam session group. It might take time. It might take a lot of time.

As much as you want to perform your own material, be ready to put it on a back burner. The folks you play with might not be interested in playing original music and/or your music may not be to their liking. Be ready for that to happen.

You get folks together on a regular basis, get a good mix going on, both music-wise, talent-wise, and people-wise, get some time and maybe some gigs under your collective belts. Then start bringing some songs up for try-outs.

Of course there are infinite ways all of this can go, but my money's on the above.

Good luck!

3. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

I agree with the above! I was lucky with the way it started for me, I started a band with musicians I'd known ALL MY LIFE and one day we just all kinda said "Hey... we got all the instruments, we got the talent, let's start a band!" And it was really great... But sadly a couple members are moving away so there's not gonna be a band for me in about 3 weeks :( But I've already made a connection and may have another band to play with... But I'll admit it was a lucky shot in the darkness during a bus ride home from a marching band field show trip.

From other bands I've known, they might have taken years to form. Sometimes it starts with you knowing one person, then that person having a friend who plays something, ect ect. Look for ANYONE who plays music, and maybe bring some of your lyrics/music/tabs along to show them, and see if they're will to give it a shot. You'd be amazed at how willing some bands are to change when good material is thrown in front of them. Talk to the leader first off, if he/she accepts you, the rest are more likely too. Dont' be shy, always be willing to talk it out with other band members! Make a compromise, maybe do covers for awhile and then maybe you guys can branch out into doing orginal work. Just wait and see, but best of luck :)

Too bad you're not here in WI, I need a singer! :(