Another question about Sanskrit...

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by inbloom, Feb 8, 2006.

1. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

I'm looking for some translations, or sanskrit words, if anyone can help me.

I want to know if there's like, a word that means "Infinite Consciousness". Also, I want a word, if there is one, that sums up like, transcending beyond reality.

I'm looking for tattoo ideas, but don't know enough about sanskrit to know these things. Any help is appreciated, thank you. :)

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

The world for consciousness is the same at for truth - Satyam, but sat-chid-ananda is an oldie and goody. And for transcendence there is the word - turiya - or transcendence.

3. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

You could always go for an Om tattoo although you might think of it as a cliché it is still a very beatiful symbol aesthetically aswell as in meaning.

4. inbloom

Thanks, guys.

Chodpa, I looked up Satchidananda, and found that it basically means "Existence-consciousness-bliss" right? That would be PERFECT, and I think I want to use that. Do you know of any place that I might possibly be able to get it written down into sanskrit, or tibetan text? I found a site, here, that does it, but it's not quite right. I put in "Om Mani Padme Hum" and it came out differently than what is normally seen. If you know of any good places where I could get it translated into the proper text, I would be very grateful.

Spacer, yeah I'm designing my own Om tattoo, that I'm going to get as well, along with Om Mani Padme Hum. I just wanted to also get an additional tatt, that was something a little more original and that wouldn't already be taken by a bunch of other people.

Thanks again for your guys' help. :)

5. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Here is two sanscrit there is two words that are used to the infinite are:

(1) Moksha

(2) Mukti

Meaning the Absolute ie infintity.

These can be found many bhuddhist texts as with many from India like the Shri Bhagavtan Gita.

In Love and Light

Eccofarmer

6. inbloom

Thank you. :)

So, does anyone know of any translators, anywhere? I want to get it in real Sanskrit/Tibetan text. Google searches weren't as helpful as I thought.

7. Spacer

You can get them here in Sanskrit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MokshaFor a tattoo I think Tibetan writing looks alot nicer than Sanskrit.
    Here's the tibetan Om symbol below which isn't as nice as the Sanskrit but in general the Tibetan writing looks more aesthetically pleasing.

I'm sure however that some of the Indian members on the board will be able to maybe write them in Sanskrit and scan a pic of them in for you. Some of them post in the Asia forum.

Actually here's a page with loads of Sanskrit terms which might help also.
    http://learn-sanskrit.com/sanwords.htm

Hope some of that helps.

Om Shanti :)

8. inbloom

Thank you, Spacer. :)

I agree, I like Tibetan alot more than Sanskrit, and that's actually what I'm going for now. I've found a couple website with the consonants and all that, but I have no idea to form the words I want.

Also, about this Satchidananda. Upon looking it up, I found lots on this guy Swami Satchidananda. Was he given the name, after the word, or did the word come after him? I mean, I like the meaning behind the word, but don't want to get a tattoo that's the name of some guy, you know?

9. Spacer

lol, yeah loads of people have Japanese/Chinese etc etc tattoos and don't have a clue what they mean, if indeed they do mean anything worth while. You should see are there any Tibetan Buddhist centres near you. If there are then maybe a monk could write it down for you.

10. inbloom

Yeah, I know this guy who got a bunch of Chinese symbols on his arm. I asked what they meant and they were like "Wisdom" and "Water" and "Dragon", lol.

I mean, those are all very respectable ideas and all, but they mean absolutely nothing to him, lol. I'm sure he picked them out of one of the catalouges at the tattoo parlor. I'd rather have my ideas be somewhat original, you know?

11. MagnanimityMan

MagnanimityMan Member

the arameic word for Truth is - Haqq

the arameic word of Sacred Unity is - Allahha

Allahha Haqq is a nice prayer word to deliver vision in meditation.