'The Beach' and other similar movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Blazin, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Blazin

Blazin Member

Who's seen The Beach? I thought it was pretty cool. I like the whole idea of independent and spontaneous travel, and I like the way it was filmed. I haven't read the book though, and I've heard it's a lot better than the movie.

What other movies about travel, deserted islands, people living in their own communities on islands etc can you think of?

2. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

i enjoyed the underlying theme that even paradise is a sickness.

remember when daffy comes back saying how the people on the beach needed "a cure for the cure"

3. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I loved that movie/book... so damn much.

4. FerdinandTheImposter

FerdinandTheImposter Member

it is an awsome movies and i was suprised and impressed that leo dicaprio did as good of a job as he did.

5. minkajane

minkajane Member

There were so many bad reviews for that movie, but I actually really liked it.

6. KyndVeggie4Peace

KyndVeggie4Peace -[ in.bloom ]-

Yeah this movie is one of my favorites. Makes me wanna up and leave ... start a new life. hmm ...

7. Blazin

Blazin Member

It made me want to just get up and go somewhere. I like it up to the point where he goes all tribal and crazy. I don't like the whole video game part, but everything before that is cool. I like his idea to just go for it and see where it takes him.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Indeed, me too. Well done, but I think I liked it only because you could see where it really goes wrong. That guy that got attacked by a shark should 've been taken care of.

9. Nimrod's Apprentice

Nimrod's Apprentice Member

Well he had the chance to be brought to a hospital, he was too scared to lie down in a boat across the water. Which was bullshit, because they took a boat back when the head chick and DiCaprio went back to Koh Panyang. That was his fault, plus what the fuck is a doctor gonna do he needed to be in a hospital, in a sterile environment of shit. It wouldve been stupid to bring a doctor out. Yet this movie does show the parasitic nature of humanity, and how humans that have been exposed to civilized side of life are already fucked. Theres no saving those that have already seen hell.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I liked the idea of this peachy commune on an island, totally self sufficient... don't know any movies like it tho, sorry.

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeah that

i dont think the movie was about the glorified paradise and encouraging pple to drop out of society

au contraire

we can ignore the ugliness that we dont want to acknowledge, but that doesnt mean that it doesnt exist. run away to a beautiful paradise, but putrescense and gangrene that are so predominant in 'babalon' still destroy, even in a traveller's eden.

blah blah

12. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

the point though was that paradise does not come without a price to be paid. hence paradise is an illusion. nimh has summarized it well. Besides a movie is art.....your looking at it as reality a bit too much to enjoy the poignance of that scene.

enjoy

13. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I enjoyed both the book and the movie, and though I prefer movies to follow a book precisely, I liked the movie plot version better. The movie got a lot of bad press because the filming crew allegedly did serious damage to the area where they filmed it. The woman who played the French girl was stunning to watch, too :)