~~~ The Beatles ~~~

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by MarijuanaPhysicist, Jan 5, 2006.

1. MarijuanaPhysicist

MarijuanaPhysicist Member

the beatles are probbly the best band ever. any of u guys ever go to a live show, or have memorys of listenign to them on the radio... man id do anything to be able to travel to the 60's and see hendrix, clapton, dylan, beatles, the moon landing, civil rights movement and shit.. man sucks that i missed it... anwyays PM me if u wanna chat. btw im pretty stoned and im blabbering on..
    so..peace,
    jared

2. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember being a little girl, and seeing them on Ed Sullivan....my parents wanted to gag me, I'm sure; I screamed as loud and as long as the girls in the audience did... ;) They could generate more excitement than just about any other band could. For Christmas that year, I got a copy of the album, "Meet the Beatles"...damn near wore the grooves off of that thing...

3. MarijuanaPhysicist

thats fucking sweet. man i wish i could see them. or atleast have lennon alive.

4. oldhippieman

oldhippieman Member

I never did like the Beatles, but then I don't care for pop music. Try to find any music groups that play Beatlelike music now. Very few. But many other bands influenced music of today much more. Bands like Cream, Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Blue Cheer etc etc.

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Not quite old enough to have gotten into them when they were together. Best album IMO- Magical Mystery tour & best tune- "I am the Walrus".

6. MarijuanaPhysicist

not old enough to get into them? im 18 man cmon. u were alive while they were playing, thats fuckign awesome.

7. HairyCarey

HairyCarey Member

Never saw them myself (Obviously, I'm sixteen [​IMG]) but I've seen shitloads of tribute bands and shows... not quite the same...

Erm, my ol' man used to go to the Cavern and he saw them before they were famous, I thought that was kinda cool.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

They announced the break up in April of 1970- just before I turned 7 and hadn't developed any musical taste. There were some environmental factors that stunted among other things the development of my ability to appreciate arts.

Funny, thinking back, it was likely if I had the opportunity to be exposed to different genres of music I'd likely have not appreciated what was around.

9. SDaddyD

SDaddyD Member

The Beatles where a pop thing. I think that even they broke up because of that. Some of them were simply more into being real (John, George). Some of them were into making money and being popular (Paul). Some were simply interested in great pussy (Ringo). With this said, Magic Mystery was their only serious work. But with all rock, trace it back to roots. Beatles --> Back Street Boys. On their own, they migrated to their tendancies. John --> incredible solo career and all round art. George --> Queit but important. Paul --> Boy band Ringo --> Barbara Bach (again something you will have to look up.

On the other hand, Beatles (pop rock), Cream (mainstream rock), Hendrix (truly defined the electric guitar), Doors (poetry/rock mix), Joplin (blues rock), Santana (rythmic percussion rock), LZ (heavy metal), Rolling Senior Citizens (Stones) (rock attitude, and Eagles (rock country). The point being that you have to get all of them to actually get it.

10. Woodstock_Blazer

Woodstock_Blazer Member

and the who! Rock Opreratos

11. MarijuanaPhysicist

wow im pretty surprised none of u hippis have seen the beatles before.. like im kind of in shock, i expected u guys were atleast into lennon, he was all about love and peace, he did so much.. but w/e guess i was wrong.

12. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

My cousin and I saw them in 65 in Dallas with our Mom's. I was in the second grade and they had TONS of back up bands. We fell asleep, I remember Mom waking me and hearing 'Long, Tall Sally' and 'Roll over Beethoven'. That is all - as least they were rocking tunes. And the yelling was annoying. Oh, and our Mom's cut and dyed our hair in Beatle cuts (mine turned green later - a major source of embarressment at the time) and bought us little Beatle outfits and boots. I did a "Live with the Beatles" on an Argosy cruise up here last year and there was a program from when they played Seattle in 65 - there WERE alot of back up bands. I was always questioning my memory on that.

13. oldhippieman

oldhippieman Member

"wow im pretty surprised none of u hippis have seen the beatles before.. "
    THATS BECAUSE THE BEATLES WERE NOT A HIPPIE BAND!!

14. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

beatles = most overrated band of all time..

15. oldhippieman

oldhippieman Member

Thank you Hippiehillbilly

16. MarijuanaPhysicist

shit man, not a hippi band? are u kidding me? specially lennon, u know he stayed in bed for a week to protest war, and dude he does so much. they went to india and shit.they were all about love, they were hippies.

17. sm0okeythebear

sm0okeythebear Member

i must say, the beatles were not overrated.. the beatles formed rock n roll in my eyes, if not for the beatles rock would of sounded like Elvis for alot longer than it did, and Lennon and Harrison were a big part of the peace movement acttually.. Lennon did alot more than stay in bed for a week. my personal opinion Lennon was the voice of a generation.. im sure you all have red or seen something on tv or something over the years about the whole Lennon fbi file? traced fone calls, and thats not even the tip of the ice berge.. anyways to make a long story short.. lennon faught for his right to be in this country, and spoke in the word of peace every chance he had.. along with alot of other things he felt should be known. the fbi was so hell bent on gettin him out of this country, they tried holding a "drug bust" charge for finding a pipe with resin in it, while he was at a place ringo owned with yoko... i mean maybe its just my personal miss understanding.. but John Lennon was involved and i do see the beatles as a huge influence in the music world..

18. MarijuanaPhysicist

thank you smokeythebear. i know lennon did alot, hes 1 of my role models.

19. bioblond

bioblond Member

I saw them in 1996 in St.Louis. Awesome!

20. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

they didnt play in dallas or seattle in 65,, twas 64.. ;)...

http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg7/photopg7.htm#1966