Raising Barefoot Children

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 exile

exile

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 06:19 AM

Another thread suggested that many adult barefooters are people who were denied the option of going barefoot as children. I am getting close to wanting to have children of my own, and I was wondering, does anyone have any info on the best way to raise a child to enjoy being barefoot?
Chad

#2 sweet_dream

sweet_dream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 06:46 AM

Well I have thought about this too, and would suggest raising them in a barefoot-friendly social environment for one. I've seen kids raised in the country who go barefoot everywhere and to school as well. My observations of them suggest that they enjoy the challenge and are encouraged by other barefoot children. I think if I ever raised kids it would have to be in the country.

#3 Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 08:40 AM

There is a website called Parents for Barefoot Children. Take a look.

www.unshod.org

#4 Barefoot Guy

Barefoot Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted December 30 2005 - 08:51 AM

I met a barefoot mom and her 14 year old teen daughter at a McDonalds one evening. They arrived on bicycles. The daughter went in to buy food. I complimented the mom on her (lack of) footwear. She told me she raised her daughter barefoot just as her mom raised her. She said her mom is in her 80's and still goes shoeless.

I met another mom in a Friendly's. Her feet were very dirty as were her 3 year old daughter's. She said her daughter always kicks off shoes, sandles, etc and that she picked up the habit from her!

#5 Amontillado

Amontillado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted December 30 2005 - 09:40 AM

I've wondered about this. There was apparently a time when children routinely went barefoot in warm weather. I can half-remember a quote from either Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer where Huck (the all-around bad kid) was "the first to go barefoot in the spring, and the last to put shoes on in the fall", implying that all the kids did it at some point. But now it seems strange if a child goes around without shoes. When did the change happen?
How many times do I have to tell you kids to quit perning in that gyre?

#6 hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy

Sugar and Spice

• Members
  • 17,235 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 09:43 AM

I was constantly barefoot as a child, and when the weather permits, so are my children and I (my husband is more of a flip-flop kind of guy and rarely ever went barefoot as a child! I think that's just horrible!).

It just feels so much better to be barefoot. How can anyone really enjoy having shoes on their feet? I know my kids don't, and neither do I!

#7 Boogabaah

Boogabaah

pizzatarian

• Members
  • 23,291 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 11:21 AM

i don't think i've ever told my kids they needed to wear shoes unless it was to school.

had a lady in a store tell me i couldn't shop there if i didn't put shoes on my kids next time :rolleyes:

Posted Image

alien/monkey hybrids UNITE!

vote weesnaah '12 for president of the united states of amnesia

#8 NudistMike07

NudistMike07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 02:35 PM

i don't think i've ever told my kids they needed to wear shoes unless it was to school.

Kids shouldnt have to wear shoes to school and if a school makes a kid wear shoes there then I wouldnt send them there. There are plenty of schools around so youre bound to find one that allows kids to go barefoot and if all else fails the kid can always be homeschooled and then it doesnt matter what they wear. I dont like modern schools anyways, the whole education system is screwed up, too much laziness and corrupt people working in it.

had a lady in a store tell me i couldn't shop there if i didn't put shoes on my kids next time

What makes her think theres gonna be a next time? If shes so stuck up about your kids wearing shoes into her place then its not worth wasting time going in there, you should really take your business somewhere else where the customers wishes are more respected. Nobody should have to put up with that NS3 crap from stores.

#9 NudistMike07

NudistMike07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 02:39 PM

But now it seems strange if a child goes around without shoes. When did the change happen?

When all the conservative nutcases started taking over everything and influencing society. I guess they wouldnt feel they are able to impose their outdated morals on us unless everyone is wearing shoes so we dont offend anyone.

#10 Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 04:35 PM

But now it seems strange if a child goes around without shoes. When did the change happen?

Blame it on our "lawsuit happy society", merchant's phamtom laws, and the athletic shoe industry, especially Nike and Adidas.

Growing up most kids had two kinds of shoes, your Sunday or "School shoes" and sneakers for gym class. You either wore your nice shoes when appropriate or your PF Flyers (that was a brand of tennis shoe back in the 50's and 60's), or just went barefoot.

Thanks to the fashion industry, tennis shoes are not just for gym class anymore and you need several makes and styles to be considered a part of the "in" crowd. And now a water shoe, a WATER shoe????? P'leezze! Now kids can't go the the waterparks and pools barefoot.

So much for barefooting........kids don't know what they are missing.

#11 txbarefooter

txbarefooter

• 1,185 posts

Posted December 30 2005 - 04:56 PM

I keep in touch with a family that was on Trading Spouse .. a barefoot family in California. anyhoo, the parents let their sons go barefoot if they wanted and the sons did. in fact the kids went barefoot so much that both parents picked up the habit and now they don't wear shoes except when in some situations, but mostly they are always barefoot.

they are also Taoist, not that that has anything to do with them being barefoot. They are really nice people, not like was portrayed on the show.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

#12 DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie

Resident Beach Bum

• Members
  • 9,226 posts

Posted January 02 2006 - 09:17 PM

Like any other decision...I will let my kids decide. If they don't want to wear shoes, I won't make them. If they want to eat a hot dog, I let them. If they want to vote Republican, I'll still love them.

Letting a child make their own decisions is the best thing you can do for them.
Everything in nature is connected...

#13 whichaxe

whichaxe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted January 02 2006 - 11:04 PM

Eh.... there's a balance though... Sometimes the most important word a child can hear is "No". As far as barefooting goes... it's free, it's probably beneficial, and it doesn't hurt anyone. I can't see any reason to discourage it.

#14 NudistMike07

NudistMike07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 10:15 PM

Eh.... there's a balance though... Sometimes the most important word a child can hear is "No". As far as barefooting goes... it's free, it's probably beneficial, and it doesn't hurt anyone. I can't see any reason to discourage it.

Anybody who tells a kid "no" when they wanna go barefoot oughta feel ashamed of themselves. There are so many other things that parents have to tell their kids they cant do, going barefoot shouldnt be one of them. Kids need to enjoy their freedom while they can.

#15 the music isnt' over

the music isnt' over

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted January 03 2006 - 10:46 PM

it amazes me how much most perants in todays society control their children far far to much. children only have one childhood and it goes very quickly so the perants have no moral right to make them conform to this gross nowday society's veiws

#16 helen

helen

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted January 04 2006 - 10:28 AM

I've bin going barefoot since I could walk--never liked shoes; my parents didn't wear shoes a whole lot either only when they had to. I have three boys my oldest is my special needs son, he doesn't like shoes either; he takes them off right after school.

#17 april922

april922

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 03:39 AM

if i could i would be barefoot 24/7...but job requirements etc.. I remember being out of school, durring summers, I would be barefoot the entire break.
Posted Image

#18 brandonveg

brandonveg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 07:13 AM

When I was a kid they said I used to kick and scream when they would try to put shoes on me, so they just stopped (unless I was going to school)...We were all at a Denny's one morning and the management came by my parents table and refused to serve us because I was barefoot and i was like 3.....so My parents have not gone back to Denny's in almost 16 years.
It's funny cause thats like on eof the very few things they ever let me make up my mind about as a child. I am glad they did though....oh yeah they made me wear shoes if I was riding a bike oo.....I didnt put up and argument with that one though I did some crazy shit on my bikes.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world wil know peace - jimi

#19 NudistMike07

NudistMike07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 10:36 AM

When I was a kid they said I used to kick and scream when they would try to put shoes on me, so they just stopped (unless I was going to school)...

They shouldve let you go barefoot to school and if anybody said anything to you, your parents couldve chewed them out for it. I dont think any kid should be made to wear shoes to school, theres no good excuse for that.

We were all at a Denny's one morning and the management came by my parents table and refused to serve us because I was barefoot and i was like 3.....so My parents have not gone back to Denny's in almost 16 years.

I wouldnt wanna go back to a place like that if they refused to serve me just because of something silly like being barefoot. If they refuse to serve customers so easily then im surprised they dont go out of business. Its better to refuse service to customers who rightfully dont belong in the restaurant cuz theyre causing a disturbance not because of something simple like being barefoot. If I ran that chain and found out one of the managers refused service to a customer just because their kid was barefoot, id fire em.

It's funny cause thats like on eof the very few things they ever let me make up my mind about as a child. I am glad they did though....oh yeah they made me wear shoes if I was riding a bike oo.....I didnt put up and argument with that one though I did some crazy shit on my bikes.

Easiest way to go barefoot on a bike is just wait till youre out of sight of your parents and then just kick your shoes off, throw em in a bag and then just keep riding barefoot. What they dont know wont hurt them.

#20 brandonveg

brandonveg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 12:12 PM

yeah well im grown now so I dont have to hide anything from them (except pot lol) .... but no like i said I agreed with wearing shoes while riding my bike...i was laways doing some crazy shit on there and gettign hurt bad enough anyways....the only reason they wanted me to wear shoes anyways was cause my mom used to ride her bike barefoot when she was a kid and got her toe or something stuck in the chain...but yeah its all good.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world wil know peace - jimi

#21 NudistMike07

NudistMike07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 03:18 PM

the only reason they wanted me to wear shoes anyways was cause my mom used to ride her bike barefoot when she was a kid and got her toe or something stuck in the chain...but yeah its all good.

I think its pretty easy not to get your foot caught in anything on the bike if youre careful when pedalling. I used to ride a bike *never barefoot* and I never got my toe caught in anything. It would probably be easier and more fun to ride a bike barefoot anyways.

#22 brandonveg

brandonveg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 04:32 PM

Ok dude...Im sorry for riding my bike with shoes on as a child.

#23 Myranya

Myranya

Slytherin Girl

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted January 06 2006 - 09:56 PM

I'm not sure how you'd get a toe caught in the chain when you're just riding normally... and I'm from bicycle country here, *everyone* has a bicycle and rides it almost daily... no one wears a helmet either for normal traffic. On the other hand, when you're fooling around on it, it might be a good idea to wear some protective clothing :p
NO OUTSIDE LINKS IN SIGS

#24 opium_eyes

opium_eyes

Une Canadien Errant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 12:01 AM

The only issue with kids going barefoot is... well athletes foot sucks.i used ot get sick through my feet all the time. strange as it sounds, i got bronchitis and they think i contracted it through ym feet. i go barefoot from about march/april until about november. well i did. this year i started getting bonchitis at least once a month. and my doctor said i might have contracted it from my feet.

I live in windsor ontario and we are incredibly filthy. my feet are stained black from march until december. since i got chronic bronchitis, it's alot easier for me to catch pneumonia and for it to be fatal.
letting your kids go barefoot is wonderful, but you have to think about the fact that it's very easy to get sick through your feet.
i suggest having them bring sandals with them to school to go into bathrooms at the very least.

Posted Image

#25 sweet_dream

sweet_dream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 05:59 AM

When I was a kid I was forced to wear shoes. During that time, I caught colds all the time, and had episodes of athlete's foot. I also had bad posture and back pain. Since I stopped wearing shoes for the past 19 years, I have hardly ever caught a cold and *never* had athletes foot or any other health problems. My posture is very good now and I have no pain. Going barefoot prevents athletes foot- provided that the feet are consistently bare. The problem is that putting feet back into shoes causes the germs and fungus to grow and multiply. Then the germs can get transferred into the nose and lungs and cause bronchitis. But if you keep your feet dry, the germs never get a chance to multiply. The proof of this is in the smell. Dry bare feet are never smelly, even if they are dirty. But put shoes on and your feet may smell bad soon. The smell is caused by waste gases given off by large numbers of bacteria. They grow only in the warm moist environment provided by shoes.

#26 Myranya

Myranya

Slytherin Girl

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 08:25 PM

There's also the myth that cold feet cause colds... especially since a recent research project where they chilled the *body* and the *method* they happened to be using was putting the test subjects' feet in cold water... unfortunately a lot of papers reported in error that the cold feet caused the increased chance of getting a cold... but on CNN, there was a more detailed article plus video, and there one of the researchers clearly explained you had an increased risk of getting a cold when your *core* temperature dropped, and that the feet just happened to be the method they used to make that happen. So if you keep the rest of your body warm enough, you should be fine. Perhaps you were pretty lightly dressed overal? I often wear legwarmers and the like when I go barefoot and it's chilly!
NO OUTSIDE LINKS IN SIGS

#27 opium_eyes

opium_eyes

Une Canadien Errant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 08:28 PM

i wasn't getting cold. when i started getting bronchitis it was in the summer.
and since i go barefoot only in the house now, i don't get it anymore. or not as often at least. i've had it about twice since i started wearing shoes.
it's not shoes i have a huge problem with, it's socks.
i usuallly wear shoes without socks now.

Posted Image

#28 MirrorBallMan

MirrorBallMan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted January 12 2006 - 10:33 PM

There is no way going barefoot will drirectly give you bronchitis. Its possible you were barefoot in the cold and were not dressed warmly which would cause that.

bronchitis is caught from entering your mouth, nose, eyes not your skin, so unless you put your feet near those areas its not possible.

Also about athletes foot. Going barefoot actually gets rid of it and before I went barefoot I had a severe problem with athletes foot that no spray was working, my Doc told me to go barefoot for a month as much as possible out of school so thinking he was crazy at the time I did and it cleared out in 2 weeks. Yes you can catch it by going barefoot but only in wet places like pool or shower where someone else did and then slip into shoes with still damp feet, it will trap the fungas and cause it to grow.

If you look at this article:
http://health.discov...ml?article=2761

Its for fungal nail infection but its shows the cause it athletes foot and it lists one of the cures as going barefoot as much as possible (Says at home but thats just to protect them from any problems people have if they went barefoot outside their house.) You will also notice one of the causes is going barefoot in the shower or pool.