Underrated Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Doraemon, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Doraemon

Doraemon Member

Josie and The Pussycats (hilarious music industry satire)
    Starship Troopers (viscous anti-war polemic)
    The Hoodsucker Proxy (Appears to be one of the least-mentioned Coen Brothers masterpieces)
    Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (It's not Clerks...but come on it was never supposed to be. Worthy of this list for the Good Will Hunting sketch alone)
    Austin Powers in Goldmember (the best of the series in my opinion)
    Powerpuff Girls: The Movie (I love them powderpuffs. And the donut shop called something like "The Donut Thing" cracks me up every time, and the crazy monkeys)

2. andyundo

andyundo Member

Contact was pretty underrated, as well as Finding Forrester.

Also.... *thinks*... The Hurricane, with Denzel Washington

Actually, I don't like at all the austin powers series, as well as the powerpuff girls movie. Movies that are too predictable.

3. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

state property
    kicking and screaming
    the pest
    assualt on precint 13
    the punisher

4. Doraemon

Doraemon Member

Madagascar - I thought this was easily as good as Shrek, in it's own way. It is a very different film. And it fell foul of unfair comparisons.

5. Dariah

Dariah Member

I think many of Christina Ricci's films are underrated (though it's understandable considering she starred in a shitload of indies). But I liked her movies Miranda, Pumpkin and The Opposite of Sex.

1 person likes this.
  6. Doraemon

Doraemon Member

I've just seen Saved! and I loved it. It strikes me as a real undiscovered, underaprieciated gem, and one of the wittiest, most subversive teen films ever made. It's essentially a satire of christian fundamentalism that places all the rediculous performativity and hypocracy of that in a high school setting. Not to everyones taste of course - just a glance at the IMDb Message boards for the film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332375/) will confirm that. You have to be quite open-minded to like it, it does have a subversive project that isn't exactly hidden from view. This should be a massive cult hit, I don't understand why it isn't.

Saved! also has something in common with the excellent and woefully underated Inside I'm Dancing in the way it positively reprersents a group of people that have been starved of positive representations in cinema. Generally, the only thing bad about Inside I'm Dancing is it's cringetastic title. I'll never know why they went with that, since the movie is almost obsessively unsentimental. More here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417791/. I love the fact that these two movies have the sense to avoid portraying their disabled characters as saintly beings, to be pitied, revered or admired, and instead aknowledge that people who sit in wheelchairs can be b******s too

7. Hip_Priest

Hip_Priest Member

I dunno that it's underated, but Ridley Scott's "The Duellists" (1977) is definitely overlooked / unheard of by most.

Stunning direction/cinematography - as scenes change it's like taking a tour through a classical art gallery, from the comfort of your armchair. Similar to Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" yet surpasses it.

This being a well established Hippie hangout, I'm surprised I'm first to mention it (unless the search isn't working). Mellow out to its visual splendour - if you can find it.

8. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

"Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" is very underrrated. "Motorpyscho" and "Mudhoney" are too. Everyone should see this movie. or any Russ Meyer film.

9. IC3

IC3 Member

pitch black
    the cube
    lilo and stitch 1 and 2
    brother bear
    ice age
    gothika

10. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

Big Trouble.

Most underrated comedy EVER
    came out a few years back....one of the funniest movies ever

11. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Elizabethtown was great.

You can say whatever you want, but I liked it.

12. JeffNCali

JeffNCali Member

A few off the top of my head:

Office Space
    Breakdown
    Gattaca
    Equilibrium
    True Romance

13. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

definitly Gattaca and Equilibrium office space is pretty well known and definitly not underrated

14. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

off the top of my head....

Dark City
    City of Lost Children
    City of God
    Hedwig and the Angry Inch
    The Cube
    National Lampoons Van Wilder

15. passittotheleft

passittotheleft Senior Member

Spun and The Punisher

16. wednesday_rain

wednesday_rain Member

Spun is one of my top five favorite movies.

17. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

of course it is ya speed freak! LMFAO

18. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Are you kidding me?
    Josie and the Pussycats deserves about as much respect as the movie Glitter.
    Goldmember was the least funny in that trilogy.
    And, POWERPUFF GIRLS? C'mon....get a life.

19. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Totally. She's a great actress and doesn't get near enough credit for her work.

20. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Other than the guy who said Office Space...everyone is dead wrong, in my opinion.

No other movie, besides Office Space, that was mention, was worth a damn thing...

although Ice Age probably comes in a distant second in worthwhile movies to watch that you all mentioned.