Saving Money

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by xscoutx, Dec 10, 2005.

1. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

P.S.
    we do have the $$ to shop and buy food, but why would we, with hookups like this!

2. brack1936

brack1936 Member Lifetime Supporter

Main ways to save money: 1 - Don't spend it. 2 - realise that, in most cases, brand names are a load of crap. Go the salvos!

3. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Its amazing the amount of food that supermarkets and other fooderies throw away alright!

4. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

yeah! we get such good veggies dumpstering; most of the time they are in perfect shape; not expired or anything.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Omklahoma rainbows had a couple sweet dumpsters for mushrooms, apples and other dry-able (i know, not a word) produce.

6. Rainbow gatherer

Rainbow gatherer Member

For those of us with children, I strongly suggest going to large, but fashionable, clothing stores (name brand places) and shop the clearance rack. These places try to clear out merchendise fast and you'll often get better buys (that's my experience) than at Beijing Mart or other so-called super saver type places.

7. Make Mangoes Not War

Make Mangoes Not War Member

At the end of some church services the church will give away bags of bread. Also the site www.freebiebombard.com has quite alot of stuff you can send away for. For clothing, you and your friends can find all the clothing you don't wear anymore then al get togther and sort through it and keep anything you find and give the rest to the Salvo's. And green grocers have food MUCH cheaper than supermarkets. Here in Australia mangoes are about $4-5 and I went to the green grocer and bought them for only $1.69. Stupid supermarkets.

8. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I am the clearance rack queen at stores like that! My kids are dressed super cute, but for a cheap price. I refuse to pay full price for something they're going to outgrow or wear out within months. So I hit the clearance racks and I'm almost always guaranteed to score big. :)

9. Big Bull

Big Bull Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If anyone in Colorado would like a good thrift store. in Colorado Springs in the historic district. They have some of the best furniture and other items, I don't remember the name but I always stop there when I visit my sister. Its right on the main drag like you are going to Manitou Springs.

Army surplus are also a good place to pic up clothes, I bought several things there, but I am a big guy and the clothes don't fit me. Canteens, shovels, and things like that, so I will always have water when I am outside.

Coupons work good too!

10. I know the person who originally posted this thread probably shares this sentiment, but for the benefit of others out there: STOP CONSUMING, buy only what you NEED when you need it.

Uh, once I was living out of home with about an excess of $20. I drove a scooter which cost about $5AU of petrol a week, cheaper than the bus. Scooters are very popular in third world countries for the reason that they are cheap, clean and good for the environment. If you want to get around, theres a good tip

11. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

I have two bank accounts. One is the normal statement account and the other is a saver account where every pay day, $20 bucks automatically gets debited from one to the other. I don't have an atm card for the saver account so i'm not tempted to take out the money and basically you forget about it. Soon enough it adds up to a nice sum. I know some who use theirs as a honeymoon account or just to save for a trip in a years time. I first used mine for my car.

12. canadian_boy

canadian_boy Brohn Zmith

Try to be even more charming, that way, you'll get more often invited for dinner :D

Meh, i don't really have anything to add , all the good tips have been already said ..

13. Mellow1

Mellow1 Member

-Coupons
    -Day old bread stores
    -Never, ever pay full price. Clearance or used only.
    -If you have a skill or know a trade barter for services. I'm a good handyman as well as landscaper and I barter for as many services as possible.
    -Live Simply!! Most folks (not on this forum) don't need 75% of the consumable crap they buy.
    -Huge money saver of course is biking to work and to run errands.
    -Spoil your kids with love and affection,not material items.

ANd the most important one is; marry some one who shares your views. You can't do it alone.

14. phaseolus

phaseolus Member

For saving money : making children !

You stop going to the cinema, you stop going out, you get family support money and stop having any friend that push you spending money in bars,etc...

One problem : children cost a lot of money (but we love them !) :)

15. PoorPenelope

PoorPenelope Member

Go to thrift stores for clothes and children's toys, etc. I generally find shirts for $3.00 and pants for $4.00. Compare that to Wal-Mart ($24.00 for a pair of jeans!). [Not to mention the people who make those jeans are only paid pocket change, literally.]

If you see something you want, wait for twenty four hours. If you can live for that much longer without it, you don't need it.

Avoid eating out or fast food. The cost really adds up. Chances are it's not healthy, either.

16. jahsun

jahsun Member

:sunglasse ;) If you check the dumpsters outside the market (especially healthfood stores cause the stuff dates quicker) at the right times there will be all sorts of goodies. Watch out though for there are also sometimes alot of not-so-goodies. Be careful of being seen but dont worry, if you see someone calmley make your exodus and give thanks because JAH PROVIDE. I know a commune where almost everything they have in the pantry and freezer and fridge is dumpstered. Just take a look around if you feel like it! Put bread in a fridge or freezer, etc. and stock-up! all that stuff about coupons and sales and day-olds is great too! Food should be free! and many times is if you seek it, at least in this country.

17. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

i've had excellent luck with dumpster diving!

18. NaturaAtraSpiritus

NaturaAtraSpiritus Member

What sort of dumpsters do you guys go to?

Also a good idea would to learn to knit, you can make really cool things, also learn how to sew so you can repair rips and tears instead of just throwing them out.

Garden as much as possible(i dont think this has been mentioned) Even if you live in an apartment you can container garden. Grow all sorts of things like tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce... etc.

Also herbs and spices like Chives, Peppermint, Peppers, ....etc.

Also compost for your potting soil and use worm bins, it reduces garbage.

19. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

the dumpster behind the healthfood store is always good, as is the bikeshop dumpster...