Does anyone remember the griffith park love-ins

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by pieman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. pieman

pieman Member

high i used to help focalize the griffith park sunday love-ins in la in the late 60's-early 70's...i am interested in hearing from folks who attended them
    i used to work w/green power. we gave out free food to the freex and we had a free store in venice, ca. you can find me via http://www.pieman.org.
    pix of how i looked then are at http://www.pieman.org/piemanspastpix.htm
    feel free to write me off list via pieman1024@aol.com

2. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I remember The Love=Ins at Griffith Park and You Pieman. I remeber being at this particular one and don't ask me when, ok you can ask. maybe late 67'or earily, (hey I was trippin' ok) when I was visiting my folks in So Cali.
    There were a couple o hundred people all gathered on a hill as I recall, flat on top and perfect for looking out over the beautiful view of the park. There we all were in all our splendor, a kalidiscope of color pulsating to the beat of the music. Smiling faces and eyes wide with wonder and love in our hearts, celebrating life in peacefull assembly. There were booths set up and beautiful people sitting around talking and singing, laughter filling the air like tiny tinkles of bells ringing in chime with the music.
    The air itself was thick with Paisley and the scent of Nag Champa and Patchuli lingered on the breeze. The shinning light that eminated above us was eletric blue and lit our Spirits with it's blanket of warmth and love. Tears of joy dripping down melted faces, with eyes twinkling as stars connecting with the universe bursting inside with the glory of Being. The Spiritual Nature of Assembly seeking food for the Soul from the Infanite Source that created us all. The Great Spirit of Enki. Pagan, Christain, Buddist,Jewish, Catholic, all seeking blessings from the ONE that we all came to seek. That ONE being what ever Infinate Energy Source one draws from. It's all the same source and we were bound in Unity.
    The energy was so high I guess that it registerd on the rictor scale. As memory serves me, I was sitting in a circle of 'friends' gazing out in the vastness, having fantastic insights, when I noticed something that brought me back to the reality of body. I saw coming up the hill what looked to me like a big black shinny ring that was coming up out of the ground surrounding us all like a big black devoring mouth inclosing us in it's mitts. My heart started pounding as the intuitive alarms started sounding in my very alert brain.
    At first I did not know what I was seeing, being sike up on 500 miks of Owzleys best. Then the realization og it all began to reviel itself for what it was. The black mouth turned into to black helmets that coverd the heads and faces of bodys blending down into black uniformed Robot like creatures. They were barirng WMD and coming right for us.
    Everything got deathly quite as ones became aware of the negitivity that was overtaking the positivity of our circle of light. Eyes we wide now and the smell of destruction in the air.
    People held their places, drawing their children near, we sat waiting, omming and chanting our peace prayers. They came upon us like Locust Decending. They kicked us and hit us with sticks and we stayed strong. They came on and on with their bats and batons randomly striking heads and bodies as they closed in.
    There was a commotion over in the booth area and suddenly every one got up and started yellin' and resisting. There was PIE THROWING from the booths. Then the gas bombs started going off and choking us and stinging our eyes. People started running a women were screaming and babies were crying.
    I got up and stated looking for my ride and one of the black robots came up and smacked me upside the head with his club. I went down to my knees and blood started pouring down my face. Then they sprayed me with something that stung my eyes and my skin. I immedatly became a fetus and hunkered up in a ball protecting my head with my arms. I felt a kick to my ribs and another blow that caught me in the arm. I can remember laying there crying beging Great Spirit to release me from my tormentors, when all of a sundden I was lifted up and carried down the hill.
    I was peekin' heavy by now and I didn't know what the hell was going on around me. I started to panic untill I heard a soft soothing voice telling me I was safe and not to be frightened.. I started to become aware of my suroundings and realized I was inside a vehicle, a bus and there we people hovering around me. I felt a wet cloth on my face and some one was holding my hand, telling me it was ok now. Then they all loaded up in the bus and they took my to Hanover St. in Hollywood and I stayed there with them a few days and then went back to So Cali to my folks for a few weeks.
    That was the last time I was at Griffith Park.
    (was that you throwing the pies, Pieman)
    sh

3. pieman

pieman Member

was that on easter sunday 1969?

4. shameless_heifer

It could have been 69' the only way I have to judge a time frame back then is by my kids ages. I was childless at the time so it had to be before March of 70' cuz that's when my boy got here. It may have been 69' the more I think about it, cuz when I left my folks in so cali, I went back to The Haight and thats where I got prego with Jomie.

So it was you throwin' them pies?!? Heh heh.
    sh

5. SLOTH

SLOTH Member

sloth outta here

6. white rabbitt

white rabbitt Member

shameless_heifer hay i was there with pieman
    me and arron are friends, u seem to be claiming to be everywere in the 60s, u got a big ego, freaks dont be ego trippin about who they knew, but u are bragging big time about every famous person u ever met, not a knock on u but just some advice sister respect your friends, dont star ego trip about them, be peaceful,
    white rabbitt
    the haight-- the sunset strip- east village

7. teepi

teepi living my dream

Well maybe I'm on some big ass ego trip too....
    I talk a bit about where I have been,lived knew,experienced.
    These days it seems my memories are what keep me going.
    The ones I can remember at least.

Don't know how old some of the posters are around these parts. Your age is supposed to be listed in your profile according to the powers that be.....oh well.

But any of you who were around in the time frame we seem to talk of much, know that there was ALOT of traveling around.
    I for one left foster homes numerous times to hit the road.
    I traveled all over the U.S.....

When I have talked of places and things I have been asked to talk more about them...
    Some of us LIKE to talk of the old daze and some of like to HEAR talk of the old daze.

Gee thought thats what the forum was for.

And golly gee.....SH started the damn forum, so I guess she can spout off,share,bitch and talk about any freakin thing she wants...as far as I'm concerned.

8. teepi

teepi living my dream

Oh and gee I also was at Griffith Park...was not in '69 but the early part of '71.
    I lived in the park for awhile till I met up with some good people in Venice....

AAACCCKKKK!!! there goes that damn ego again.......

9. white rabbitt

white rabbitt Member

teepi lol lol hahahaha u made my day lol on floor bustin a gut u just made my day

10. shameless_heifer

Hold on' A Little Ego Trippin' Here.. I left Anihiem calif in 66 I was 16 I was into acid and Timothy Leary's Brotherhood. My bro in law was one of his dealers, I got in a lot of 'doors' with him and my sister. I went to Griffith Park several times in my youth. over by the observitory, I went to Love-ins and Sit-ins with friends and sometimes I would just hitch by my self.. I went to the haight in 66 after a bad marriage and lived there on and off for 11 yrs. I tripped around the southwest going from here to there and back to the haight and so cali to see my family. I lived in Texas, Calif., Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Oregon. I know people from all over the place. I've lived in communes with some of the people right here in the forums. I was in the Haight when all the beautiful people were there, before the junkies moved in. I ran into famous and not so famous people, I knew a lot of them from hippy hill before they got famous, I knew them from the streets and the houses, WTF,.. I didn't live in a cave, I lived.. I was where I was and who I was and with and that will always be what it is, my life. Take it or leave it, I'm not forcing it down your throats
    And furthermore if YOU or Your Buddies were there you probably saw or knew me. And I don't believe I ever did say I was in the Village. I said I was at Woodstock, The Haight and Griffith Park. I don't see that as an impossible Life Story. Increidable yes, but not impossible. Besides, It's none of my buissness what you think of me.
    Brightest Blessings
    sh

11. white rabbitt

white rabbitt Member

heifer im just as famous as
    most of the people u talk about
    me pieman and wavy are all hippie icons
    as for your ego trip, well i could do the same about the rip off jerks called the brotherhood, leavy told me he was sorry for what happend in the haight, but it got out of control, i accecped his appolligy, u did not say where your commune was, mine was vary well known in the haight 532 clayton 3 doors over from the haight free clinic
    everyone knew they could come to our hour day or night and we had acid in a punch bowl,
    ;) :) hay heifer lighten up,i probly saw u back stage at the family dog janis put me on the big brother guest list, , peace love
    white rabbitt
    i probly met u lol

12. hippiewise

hippiewise Member

i remember the love-in's at griffith park and at golden gate park in san francisco, man those were the days my friends:

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS, WE THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END, WE'D SING AND DANCE FOREVER AND A DAY, WE'D LIVE THE LIVES WE CHOSE, WE'D FIGHT AND NEVER LOSE, THOSE WERE THE DAYS, OH YES THOSE WERE THE DAYS

who sang that song? can't remember, cool ass song
    hippiewise angel

13. shameless_heifer

White Rabbitt,
    If you read my past posts you'd know I was with The Church of the Good Earth. I live at 406 Cole on the corner of Oak and Cole. from 71 to 75, I stayed at the Diggers before that for a few weeks in earily 67' I visited Wheelers but don't recall being there. There is a pic of me and a friend of mine 'Patty' walking down Haight St in 68' in Larry Keenan's website, called 'Wild Horses' I'm the blond. I lived with Sister Juniper Odd a cool red haired lady in a wheelchair with a small blonde boy named Steffen, and her ole man was Herb. She took me outta their doorway on Haight St and moved me in with them in 66'. I met my boys father in 68', his name was Cliff. I left Cliff in 71 and moved into Good Earth.
    A Lot of living was done in those years, some wonderfull some not so wonderfull, but it was what made me who I am today.
    Peace to you Rabbitt
    sh

Hippiewise, I think it was Carole King or Ann Murry who sang that song. or NOT..lol..

14. white rabbitt

white rabbitt Member

well heifer im in austin texa where we grow things bigger and better i hear your in texas what part,
    would love to chat with u

15. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I looked thru Larry Keenan's pictures online, and saw you Shameless...great shot!! You may have posted about that photo before, and I missed it, but I'm glad I saw this post..I love this forum; so many good people,and so much good information...

16. shameless_heifer

I'm in The Piney Woods of East Texas, Rabbitt. Chat away.. :)

Sus, hey sista, glad to see your smilin' face. I came across that pix last year when I was doing some research for my book. It's the only one I ever saw of me while I was in The Haight. People didn't like cameras all that well. The anominitity(sp) thing.
    All the memorabilea I had from the day, was burned up when my mama's house caught fire in 95'. I had it all in an old steamer trunk stored at her place cause I traveled around a lot. I had a few good pix of some of my pards in the Haight. My sisters have a few old photos of me they took on my visits down to Orange County to see them. I may get some copies and post them in my gallery after the holidazes.
    Brightest Blessings
    sh

17. shameless_heifer

Teepi my friend, I thank you. I don't know why some just want to cause distension in The Garden. Maybe testing the water. sigh.
    Writing is a form of art to me, a poetic phrasing of ones life and purpose can be captured in ones words. Having no formal training in writing I simply write what I know about, and I know most about my own life and it comes from my heart of being..

And yes I opened this forum to reach out and connect with Likemined ones that have experienced similar lives, also to reconnect with lost tribe members and family of the time.. We try not to judge others here for their contributions, we of the forums are here to learn and to teach. We are here to grow and we come with love.
    sh

18. Bluesbilly Dave

Bluesbilly Dave Member

Rabbit,
    Janis told me she only put you on the guest list because you were so damn annoying.
    -Dave

19. white rabbitt

white rabbitt Member

hay vioded u trying to start shit
    no one was talking to u
    mind your own bidness
    dis dont concern u
    dis be tween me and da heifer not ya"ll
    in nice peacefull way kiss off
    peace love
    white rabbitt

20. maxs

maxs Member

I think I remember that and it was Easter '67.We had rolled up a bunch of soda straws in multi colored papers to fake out the Pigs.I got the Hell out of ther before things got to bad.