Katrina

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by squawkers7, Aug 30, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

LOUISIANA:

_After hitting Florida last week, Katrina strengthened to a Category 5 storm over the Gulf of Mexico but weakened slightly and came ashore early Monday as a Category 4 storm with wind of 145 mph.

_A water main broke in New Orleans, making it unsafe to drink the city's water without first boiling it. Police made several arrests for looting.

_The highest winds in New Orleans were estimated at about 100 mph.

_Evacuations: New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the entire city of 485,000 to evacuate. For those who couldn't, the city opened 10 shelters, including the Superdome. The mayor estimated that 80 percent of the city's residents had left.

_About 9,000 spent the night at the Superdome arena. Power failed, and three hours later the wind tore away metal and left two holes in the roof, one 15 to 20 feet long. Officials said the holes were not dangerous.

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I am also a bit windy today, but I can not top Katrina yet.

3. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

We're dealing with what's left of Katrina here in Tennessee now.

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Katrina and the waves. [​IMG]

5. MollyThe Hippy

MollyThe Hippy get high school

there will be one small benefit to Katrina... i live in the nyc watershed in upstate ny and due to the bad drought, local officials have been asking folks to keep flushing their toilets so nyc will have drinking water... hopefully with Katrina coming, the drought will end

6. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

thank goodness I live far away from any large bodies of water :p Hopefully the only outcome of this will be property damage, and no one will get seriously hurt or die

7. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

our local news paper had two homeless guys on the front page for the hurricane.... im tryin to figure out what they lost if they were homeless... their cardboard box and a crack pipe?

8. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

probably their tin cans...

they were probably on front page cause they were out in the storm perhaps cause they were homeless...dunno..

9. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

keep flushing your toilet for drinking water? i dont get it. If you flush your toilet, arent you using the water thats coming from the treatment plant in the first place?

and its a rainy gloomy day here in soutern ohio too. I hope i can get a ride to work

10. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I don't have that much emotional investment in the goings-on in the South right now. However, I will note this: this is New Orleans we're talking about. They're not only survivors, they're partying survivors. Southern Decadence, the gay Mardi Gras, is scheduled for this weekend. Everything will be back to normal by then, because New Orleans will be damned if they can't throw a good party. It's a matter of civic pride, and fleecing boozing people out of their money, which in New Orleans goes hand-in-hand. Laissez le bon temps roulet.

(If you can afford to get there. Katrina's caused wholesale gas prices to rise. Like any excuse was needed for that to happen.)