• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted August 21 2005 - 09:46 PM

ok first off here is the web site where you can find plenty of local communitites near you and you can also do a search in Puerto Rico and find out more about us and contact information.
http://directory.ic.org/geo/

now that being said Howdy!
we need some farmers and gardeners to help become more self sustaining. we got plenty of room just not many people and who we do have cant grow anything.

alittle about us we are 4 single parent families total of 5 people over age 16 and 9 under 16.
we are very family friendly but so not want anybody forcing any belief on others curently we have a practing wiccan a babtist a cathloic and agnostic. so we are open to all as long as nothing is forced on another person. we belive that as long as what you do is not harming anohter person you fine. but because of so many children we tend to do out own things in our own areas. such as smoking its allowed no problem but respect the wishes of others and do not smoke in common areas that are enclosed.

that was an example but basically if you want to be part of a family and respect the wishes of each other while still being free to do as you wish in your area and willing to help take part in the care and maintence of the communitity. then your welcom to join us...bring a tent build a cabin, hut, home what ever...

http://directory.ic.org/geo/ search for puerto rico

#2 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 02:24 PM

howdy again people. i have gotten 3 messages abotu this post and i am thinking now maybe it was a bad idea to sujest contacting me persoanlly. because all 3 have basically said and asked the same questions. so in future go ahead and ask here please it may save you the hassle of looking up my contact info.

ok now ill try to answer a couple of the more common questions
no we dont have a fee to join or monthly dues or anything.

we lease the land from the goverment and its incredably cheap, but its also stipulated to be an easment to other land. so i cant block the road that runs through the middle. and the natinal guard reserves the right to pratice manervers there. but not destroy property. by agreeing to those terms you wouldnt belive how cheap it was.

and to save another question its 1.00 an acre per year and its 350 acres.. so as i said its cheap.

yes we need farmers but its not required to know farming but a willingness to learn is great. any added skills are nice to have around. and if not skilled just be willing to learn will do.

we all vote on issues concering money (adults) (16 and over)
children have a say also in chores and minor rules as they become needed. but the important stuff is for the adults.

alternative lifestyles are fine with us we just do not force anything on anybody and we have plenty of room where if you wanted to howl at the moon totally naked with your body covered in honey you could and nobody else would see. but in common areas i dont think its approatite.

as of now children outnumber the adults we are 4 single parent families

1 divorced male and 3 divorced females all with 2 or more children living on site,

the 5th largest and fastes growing part of the island is withen walking distance
aguadill has many attractions and brings lots of turists to the area and turisim is where we generate money. buy selling items we make. such as hand painted sea shells and the like.

well i think that about covers the questions i have had sofar....hope it helps and id be happy to see some people show up even if it was just for the summer or winter or what ever.... some new faces and new stories would be nice around a bonfire on the beach.

#3 FreedomRyver

FreedomRyver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 08:58 AM

hi,

I am very interested in this, i have been looking for somthing like this for awhile now, id like to hear a little more info about this community though.What are the ages of the people living there? do you have any pics? and what goes on in a normal day at the community. Sorry for all the questions but ive never been part of one before and im not really sure what its like.
But i feel thats the way i want to live and yours sounds exellent.If youd like some information about me just let be know. Im looking forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you
Joey:)

#4 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 10:20 AM

i recently added some pics of the nearby area to my gallery and will be adding more soon of the property and some of the buildings that need worked on.

ages we have range from 2 yr to 15 in the children there is 9 of them and 16-41 in the adults 5 of us. so we are out numberd by the kids of the adults all but 1 is female and the children is pretty even mix.

as for what goes on in a day. well some of us have regualr jobs that adds extra money to the communitity we take turns doing the everyday chores like cooking for the group and such. and getting the kids to and from school. taking care of the animals horses goats sheep ect ect

#5 FreedomRyver

FreedomRyver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 11:36 AM

You know what? i seen the scenery and location in your gallery, and if your willing -you got yourself a farmer-:) ,i have a strong interest in horticulure and animals, and can work very hard. Do you have an msn account were we can talk further about this?

#6 FreedomRyver

FreedomRyver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 09:04 AM

Just let me know if you are interested:)

#7 TokeTrip

TokeTrip

• 1,105 posts

Posted September 04 2005 - 05:47 PM

I'll be very interested in a few years. When I'm out of high school I mean. My parents expect me to go to college, but that's not really what I have planned. It'll either be moving to the U.K. (Near glasgow specifically) and helping out with a friend of mine who grows (marijuana, shrooms, and cherry tomatoes) or moving to a community.

#8 hawkrider

hawkrider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 09:36 AM

Greetings,
My ladyfriend (47), her son (15), and myself (58) are looking for a lifestyle change and the tropics seem to be the answer. Currently we live in Florida and talking of going south. I'd like to hear from you personally thru my E-mail, please drop me a line.
What are your electric sources, water, sanitation, etc ?
It is my understanding that passports are not needed.
More when I hear from you.
Thanks, Jay
life is many journeys, you just can't take them all at once.

#9 wideyed

wideyed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted September 17 2005 - 08:11 AM

damn dude. i have an agricultural diploma and five yrs experience farming cereals and oilseeds in western canada, not to mention vegetable gardening and indoor gardening, (hydroponics), but i need a pardon to travel to a us property.. :(. i just quit my job too and am sitting here thinking about rearranging my life.. maybe by the spring i could have my pardon paid for.. anyway,for now i'm still a wisher not a doer.
so the fruit of your labours
have fermented into wine,
and the sweat that you drip
is now the honey of the hive...

#10 miller

miller

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 04:35 PM

i know a little bout farming and i am willing to learn anything...i work hard on what i am told to do..i used to to be in the us army..having been out for two years i have no direction and am looking to change my life...i only have a few questions...is there power...any communications....and would i be able to smoke somthing other than ciggarettes

#11 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 10:51 AM

sorry i had been away and not replied for the past month , a storm knocked out the phone line and since we were only customer on that cable they were in no hurry to repair it but it up now ill try to get replies out tonight thanks

#12 miller

miller

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 07:11 PM

well i have been thinking and talking to my mom and some people and i think ill come down to lend a pair of hands..all i need top do it straighten a few things out and save up the money to get there and i am on my way

#13 wideyed

wideyed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 07:18 PM

rock on miller :)
so the fruit of your labours
have fermented into wine,
and the sweat that you drip
is now the honey of the hive...

#14 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 11:42 PM

I'll be very interested in a few years. When I'm out of high school I mean. My parents expect me to go to college, but that's not really what I have planned. It'll either be moving to the U.K. (Near glasgow specifically) and helping out with a friend of mine who grows (marijuana, shrooms, and cherry tomatoes) or moving to a community.

Columbus Ohio? hmm i was from Cincy hows the weather been up there ?
down here it never changes more than 10deg 80s in winter and 90s in summer, if you ever do decide to come down mind bringing a few items? LOL i like a few jars a frishes tarter sauce. and some cincy chili mix. and some white castle. LOL none of those are to be found here.

#15 makno

makno

• 7,541 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 11:56 PM

i used to live in orocovis ....we grew a lil of everything ...gondules ,yuca ,batatas ,nyame .chayotes malanga , yaltia gineos ect .
viva zapata

#16 Gyva02

Gyva02

WACKY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 01:49 AM

Sent you a E-mail... please let em know if it doesn't arrive.

Mike...

#17 TheMagicalMushy

TheMagicalMushy

• 1,571 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 06:14 AM

Im going to Pm you in a second. Stay on

#18 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 07:57 PM

Im going to Pm you in a second. Stay on

im sorry but if 15 is your correct age. i think maybe you should come with your parents or wait a few years.

i cant see where taking a minor in would be good for us here. i mean what if you got sick or hurt or something? we would have no legal right to tell doctors what they could and could not do to you.

the laws here are kinda funny it is part of the us and federal laws apply but the local legal system is based on the spanish legal code. and a person can not even have a car in their name or rent a car here untill they are atleast 21.

even to get married under the age of 21 you need the parents consent.

so it nothing against you but i really do not belive it is a good idea.

#19 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 08:08 PM

i used to live in orocovis ....we grew a lil of everything ...gondules ,yuca ,batatas ,nyame .chayotes malanga , yaltia gineos ect .

orocovis is ok ,should start a water melom farm down here. those things cost a small fortune here and anytime you see a truck on the road selling them its busy and sells out in a day. for crazy prices. like 10.00 for a water melon the size of a cantalope. we tried to grow some here in aguadilla but i guess there is just to much salt in the ground here they wont grow and the few that did looked like a drug addict hehehe

i also have a much smaller place in Sabana Grande right part of the land borders the aqua duct and river that feeds it. near Sausa state part. and i am really considering going there full time because fresh water is much more readely availble and our buisness of making horse dran equipment is taking off rather well. but most of the customers are down in the south of the island where it much more rural. and the customers keep telling me i should be closer to them for they are having troubles getting the wagons and such all they back down there.

#20 makno

makno

• 7,541 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 08:16 PM

it was pretty country around isabella ....we mostly stayed up in the mountains .....ive seen a few folks do those cannonball melones ....but a bunch of em might be tricky .ive been to sabanagrande once ....ill have to look at a map ....
viva zapata

#21 resincake

resincake

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted October 10 2005 - 08:07 AM

hi,

I currently live in the UK .. and am looking for exactly the type of commune, that it seems you offer. I am not exceptionally physically strong (but am more than willing to help) , but I do have a wide academic background (including a university degree, various RSA certs, etc). I am a budding artist and web designer, and believe that I can offer creativity and perhaps a new income source. Also, I am experienced in hydroponic growing and have done that a number of times, with tomatoes and 'similar' plants. I do not think i would need a visa or anything, just the cost a the flight and a tent ..

I do have one question, however. I have a pet dog, who goes everywhere with me .. would he be able to come with me ? If so .. I think I am in .. I will PM you further after reading your repl to me enquiries ..

thanks in advance, buddy ..

Russ.

#22 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted October 10 2005 - 07:17 PM

hey a dog is ok with me as long as it dont hurt things like kids and animals. but im not sure about entry of the dog to here. i know comming from the states it isnt a problem but no idea of the requirments from UK

#23 FreedomRyver

FreedomRyver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 07:31 AM

Hi how ya doing?
if your willing I am serious about joining you guys down there(along with my lady friend), I wrote a post early in this topic if you want to check it out. Let me know what the deal is.
thanx:)
Joey

#24 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 01:08 PM

hello again all.
i have been getting many private emails from people who read this post and that cool, but id like to save us all a little time . could the people just wanting a free ride vacation spot not bother writing anymore? PLEASE.

not trying to be mean or rude but we work and live here and would love others of like mind, but we dont have the time to baby sit PEOPLE who come under false pretences.

i can understand a visit to see if you like what is going on here thats cool. but when people arrive and just by the way they talk its easy to tell they just want the free place to stay for a short time.

in the past we have been very receptive to visitors in hopes it would attract like minded people but besides 3 families all others seem to be just looking for free vacation.

so i guess i will have to narrow the request of people to join us to family folk. married divorced what ever. but with children.

and one other thing is we do not preach to each other here. we pretty much keep political and religoeus beliefs to ourselves. we do talk about it if both people talking are willing but nothing is ever forced one the others here. so no matter how benine or inecent your beliefs are on those two subjects, unless you can hold your tounge and not argue again please dont waste our time.

in short i hope to answer some common questions
we have 4 familes now all single parents

children ranging from 2 to 16 and many in between

8 sheep

2 horses

a few cats

a few dogs (seems all the kids like having a dog to call theirs,and tag along with them while doing chores)

2 goats

around 350 acres

1/2 mile of beach

few acres of wild rice

7 concrete buildings all in need of work

off grid_ meaning we use little eletric but when its needed we produce it and store it in batteries and when power is low recharge the batteries with a generator.

we have TV and satalite

at current even though we have buildings most of us live in tents in our own little areas on the land so we all have our own space to do as we wish during free times.

we share meals and we take turns doing the cooking so its chefs choice on meals

all money we make is common

some of us work off the property others work only here.

we make items that we sell to the turist industry

i make horse drawn equipment like wagons & buggys

i also make wood furniture

fishing is great here with 1/2 mile of beach surf fishing is a common thing here.

we are located on the north west side of the island where MONA passage meets the ATALANTIC OCEAN

the land is leased.

how much we pay really isnt a concern of anybody else but us that live here so stop asking.

yes it is leased from the goverment and it is possible to lose it. but the property was empty for nearly 50 years, and is of no strategic importance so i doubt that will be a problem.

no we are no swingers and we dont have orgies, as i have tried to say before we are very family oriented.

we take turns taking the children to and from school.

this area still has an active coast guard base and english is widly spoken in this area, but for a job unless you get one on base spanish is still needed.

yes it is part of the united states, and no you dont have to pay federal taxes here. but social securtitity is still withheld.

all federal laws allpy here but few are enforced.

yes the constatution still applies here so all civil rights still apply.

political views are varried here we have comunist liberal and even conservitive.

religion is varried as well from none to pagon wican and christian

we do not preach personal beliefs to each other. if its a mutual discussion thats fine but if one is not intrested that should be the end of it.

home schooling is only allowed on the island if the child has never been enroled in pubilc school on the island.

smoking and drinking is allowed but we dont want drunks and drugies.

drugs on the property could hurt us all and cause the lose of the land so if any of us catch a person growing here on the land they will be gone and fast. is plenty of other open parcels of land away from us for people to do such stupid things, and the risk to the others here is to great to stand for it.

your pets are welcome so long as they dont harm other people or animals here.

we have a common area where we cook and eat in one of the buldings it is also the where the tv and other itmes are located that need eletric.

most of us live in tents still and use oil lamps or battieries that we recharge when the generator is on to light our living area.

only 2 species of snake are on the island and neither or venomeous.

the sun is the most dangerous thing here. temps usually range year round 98 to 88 the average varience is only 10deg between summer and winter,

insects are the second worst problem. ants will get into anything that is not properly stored. and small bark scorpions and very large centipedes can sting. since hurricane george a few years back not many bees or wasps around.

i think that covers some alot of the common questions i am asked. i hope it can save you and me some time.

thanks

#25 oldwolf

oldwolf

Waysharing-not moderating

• Super Moderator
  • 1,259 posts

Posted October 29 2005 - 07:20 PM

Now that's too bad - always sorry to see people feel the need to pullback on the reigns and restrict people. But not being in your situation - not quite so hospitable a climate - the great N E has her snow.
The seasons for us help us to Pay Attention though sometimes the Now might not be what many might enjoy - hardship is a part of life.
Now you get too many people who just want to visit but are hard workers,tell 'em that you know just the place for them - we got's plenty of room and are open to visitors; but again like you all, are quite busy trying to make our joint visions manifest into reality.
Blessings along your Way my brother ....... May the Light of Love ever Guide your Way
Life is an opportunity and becomes what you make of it

May the Light of Love ever Guide your Way
Grow on ... Enjoy !

Peace Blessings
Love

Namaste

oldwolf:
my @hotmail email adress is nomadhermit
my @yahoo email adress is waysharer
http://www.hipforums...hp?journalid=20
http://www.hipforums...hp?t=2917&f=129

#26 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted November 04 2005 - 08:52 PM

OK Since people just keep asking and asking about comming down to visit, this is what we are gonna do.

1. you want to come stay on the land and provide your own tent and food great $10.00 a week.

2.you want to come and have us supply the tent and food, ok but $10.00 a day for one or two people.

ALSO i have said this many times but Puerto Rico is part of the United States. if you live in the states you DO NOT NEED a passport or anything to come here. just like visiting another state.

Now only if people actually read this post before they send emails asking more of the same questions.

#27 tlxreed

tlxreed

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted November 26 2005 - 07:49 PM

The picture you are drawing is very cool. The pictures are beautiful and Aguadilla is supposed to have great beaches. What a deal, $1 an acre per year.

Good luck with your lives out there. Maybe you could post a picture of the buildiings you are reclaiming.

#28 Billie Spears

Billie Spears

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 12:17 PM

Hi my names Billie, or Hannah and I have a two year old son name Salem. This wasn't at all what I was looking for, but somethings find you. And I just got the craziest adrenaline rush reading your posts. I was about to fly to the Big Island and go to college. But it sounds like that can wait for now! I'm going to meditate on this for awhile, and if you want to get to know more about me, write me -k- Oh, and I EXTREMELY aprreciate your standards on no druggies. I have been searching for some type od community for awhile now, and all of them have posts about stupid shit! Very discouraging that all "tree huggers and hippies" have this urge to alter themselves. Growing up I always thought "hippies" were the REAL ones, but growing older has changed some childhood fantasies! I know you are busy writing everone back, but I truly am intrigued. My e-mail is Hannahbeesweet@yahoo, PLEASE write me! Thank you and much love Billie

#29 zendude

zendude

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 08:14 PM

greetings gringo. it sounds like you have a lot going on down there and i'm intrigued. my farming experience is limited but i've been a horticultural grower for a few seasons and this past summer i apprenticed on a biodynamic farm in northern california. we grew vegetables for a CSA and i was involved with all aspects of it. there were horses there also, percherons, and i spent a little time working with them. i shared in taking care of them and i'd like to spend more time learning to work with the horses along with caring for them. what breed of horses are you training and to what end? as for growing vegetables, what is the climate like? i understand that it's hot year round and i assume growiing can be done all 12 months along with that, is that correct? how much rain does this area receive, aguadilla and the other with more fresh water available (forgot the name) and over what months of the year? what kind of crops are currently being grown and do you have any ideas for the future agriculturally, other than watermelons? just a few questions. hope all is well. ~mike

#30 gringo_in_caribbean0

gringo_in_caribbean0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted November 27 2005 - 10:33 PM

greetings people i had thought this thread was dead but i see its still floating around out here.
so a couple of things to address here

hannah aka billie. i sent you an email .

everybody if you would like to contact me faster than email you can via yahoo messenger at gringo_in_caribbean05 since it works on cell phones we dont need to have internet acess to talk with folks on it.

zendude
it rains almost everyday in aguadilla and in sabana grande it only rains everyday for about 3 months of the year but during that 3 months it really really rains almost 24hrs at a time it seems.

breeds of horses here seems to be 3 tpes down here throughbred paso fino and then mustang most people just have the mustang type mutt horse.

something id like to grow and could really make some money down here would be alfalfa hay in kentucky it used to sell for 1.50 a bale in florida about 5.00 a bale down here its 17.50 a bale maybe it needs a cool weather cycle to grow i just not sure on it but if it grew down here that could be a great income source, but even if it cant grow here just a bale of straw that people in the states would possibly pass over as bedding for an animal runs 3.50 a bale....

and laslty a new request anybody out there have experience spinning wool into thread? or combining it with cotton ro spin a blend? we have cotton growing wild here also so a 50-50 blend wouldnt be hard to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users