What is better being homeschooled or public school?

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by TokeMEup420, Aug 6, 2005.

1. El Hefe

El Hefe Member

Public School. Living a sheltered life in a controlled environment is a bad way to raise someone to adulthood.

Most folks survive Public Education and move on. They go to college, get a Job etc..

2. Nisha

Nisha Forlorn.

i was in public and then private and all girls. at first i didn't like it but i realized the teacher's lessons were simply more intense and nitty gritty. if you like that kind of pressure on you, private schools are good.

i don't want to say i believe the quality of education is more mediocre in a public school because all children, regardless of their family's financial position, deserve to have a good education and chance at proving themselves academic-wise. I won't deny though i noted a big difference.

3. El Hefe

El Hefe Member

Thats like saying all Black people are gangsters because of a video you saw on MTV.

4. El Hefe

El Hefe Member

Not everyone experienced such a traumatic time in public schools. Public School is like anything else in life, you have your bad days and your good days. The world is not Black or White there is lots of grey areas in the middle. Not everything will be handed to you on a silver platter or the entire world is willing to insure that your self-esteem is never inujured. You need to learn to live on your own terms and not let others make you feel bad or tell you how to live your life.

5. andrea-

andrea- Member

Uh, yeah... With that kind of writing you aren't putting us other homeschool students in a good spotlight...

6. dreadiemama26

dreadiemama26 Member

I am sick of people who think automatically that if you are home schooled you are sheltered. There are plenty of parents that take every oppurtunity to get their kids into sports, music, play groups, and other things that are perfectly great ways to get social experience, make friends, and grow up knowing how to function in society. People are so badly misinformed about what home school is. We don't lock our kids in a room with a desk and force them to learn things that are totally meaningless, and uninteresting to the them.

Come on now, is that really what you think?

In many communitites parents home school their kids together. So they have kids of all ages learning together on different levels, together. I think that it's great.

Just had to say something, Assumptions....pppfffftttt!

7. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

This "socialization" is a myth created by the government school system when they finally had nothing else to offer.

8. pansy

pansy Member

9. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

Like some people said, I think it depends on the student.

However, I think that it depends on the parents even more. Some people can homeschool their children while others clearly can't. Sometimes, the parents may think they can homeschool their child well when in fact they can't. In order to homeschool, the parents need to be very well educated themselves, and not only in one field but in pretty much all fields. And of course, they need patience, and ability to explain things. They also need to have a lot of free time to do the homeschooling.

I, for example, am a product of the public school system. I hated much of it, but I think I was better off. I am not very good at socializing. School (and now university) is the only place where I could meet people more or less comfortably. Then I could meet others through social networks, but everything started at the school.

10. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

homeschooling can get very very very boring

11. shrooms4all

shrooms4all Member

im doing homeschool right now and i was in public the only reason i leavt was cuz of problems with the schools princible was always giving me problems so i leavt to home school and acctually i am gonna go back when the next school year starts just because even though its fun to home school cuz i am at home and i dont have to worry about dress code and getting in trouble i have no one to hang out with i wanna go back to public school just mainly for the fun of getting to hang out with friends...... also kinda hard to meet girls to date when your not at a school

12. AllieCat

AllieCat Member

I wish I could have gone to a private school. My high school was a nightmare.

13. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I find it impossible to vote in this poll. There are far too many factors. The main problems I have with public schools can also be said about many private schools and even some homeschooling families. What is best is when each child's individual learning style and needs are addressed. The only way this ever happens in public school is when that child just happens to fall exactly in the middle of the road, because school can only teach to the middle, everyone ahead or behind gets the shaft. Then there's the whole problem with institutionalizing children and indoctrinating them into a fucked up society or belief system, and the way public and religious education are tools used by those in power to keep their power and to keep the workforce compliant and unquestioning of their authority.... but many families who do "school at home" are guilty of the same things schools inflict upon children. And then some homeschoolers go too far in the other direction, trying to shelter their children from the real world and any people who do not share their particular religious beliefs (for one example).

For my kids, given their individual learning styles, my ability to recognize what educational approach works best for each of them, our participating in an incredible homeschool support group, and the state of our local schools, homeschooling is by far the best choice.

14. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

It so totally depends on the child. I did public school when I was young, and from about 6th grade on, my parents let me guide my own education as a "homeschooled" child. Of course, in my case, I was passing college entrance exams and my teachers had basically given up on teaching me anything. I think everyone figured as long as my test scores kept rising, I probably couldn't do too much harm :D

Of course, I AM a freak of nature. And come to think of it, I probably would have benefited from more P.E. and more positive light on excercise as a fun activity - I'd be in better shape today...

15. MeMilesAway

MeMilesAway Member

private schooling too wreaks havoc on self-esteem if not done correctly. Public schooling, or community-based education is meant to foster social awareness and it does help individuals grwo in society with members of society in their own age group.

In my experience, children who are homeschooled have much more difficulty socializing at University when they get there. I have seen the same in high school as well.

Homeschooling can be awesome if done correctly...which means organizing weekly whole sessions with other homeschooled students in the area. This includes organizing group-based assignments, etc. There must be social interaction and interdiscussion as it is fundametal to what education is. If these areas are not met (because they are in community-based schooling) then the homeschool child is missing out.

I've taught in public schools. I've taught in a private school. I think private schooling is the better option than home schooling if the reason for homeschooling exists soley in the detrimental enviornment of public schools.

However if someone believes they can homeschool a child and have them profficient at 12th grade level by the time they are 15...then I think that is the way to go.

16. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

the homeschooled children I know in real life have less problems socializing than their public and private schooled counterparts. Mostly due to the fact that they interact with people of all ages, instead of being herded into a room full of children the same age as themselves. It's amazing to see how the older children in our homeschool group teach the younger ones things they would not be learning from kids their own age. Kids learn so much more about real-life from other kids than they do from adults. The homeschooled teenagers I know are all patient and kind to the younger children, as well, something you very rarely see in public schooled kids. But, I have to add the disclaimer, that I am only speaking of kids in my real-life eclectic homeschool group, not children being homeschooled in isolation from other people (which I have heard of in arguments against homeschooling, but have never ever encountered in real life).

17. The Shombadia

The Shombadia Member

I have been in private a little bit, public alot, and am currently homeschooling because my parents think I cant handle regular school. Public is best because it is as close to the real world as it gets more diversity you learn alot from peoples cultures and lifestyles. All in all it is the best. It just depends on how you take it in.

18. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

Are any of these things really better for every single person? I think it depends on the kid, the school, and the parents.

19. oceangirl

oceangirl Member

i was homeschooled for 2 in a half years. cause ppll were making fun of me then when ii got to public school they stopped. homeschooled is much more differnet then being in public school. lol u don't get to talk to yur friends all the time like u do in public school. i replyed because of what you said about homeshooled and that is diffently tue. ttyl beth

20. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I invoke Little House On The Prarie an awful lot in my everyday life. I was thinking today about how prarie schoolhouses, in a lot of ways, are more similar to current "homeschool' standards than any other standards. A lot of that probably does come back to what mamaboogie mentioned about mixing the ages.
    And although some would say in those days people were more ignorant, for the sum total of knowledge in the world, the standard of education was a whole lot higher. Cyphering... I've never met a kid in my life who can do a long division problem in their head, and back then it was par for the course...