flowerchild looking for a commune in southern california

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by SunnyTheKid, Jul 29, 2005.

1. SunnyTheKid

SunnyTheKid Member

hey. i'm a 13-year-old gal in southern california looking for a commune to stay at for a while. how come? well, i live in the number one safest city in the united states of america. need i say more?

and no, i'm not having family problems. just bored out of my mind and have nobody to relate to around here. i want an adventure.

so, well, know any? do they still exist around here? how can i join? are there rules? what are they like? do i just walk on in and say "HELLO!?" man, what should i bring? i'm fairly sheltered, and have a lot of questions... it'd be really great if somebody could just help me out, and not try to talk me out of this. if you can't, i guess i'm really just going to be on my own for this one.

2. happyhippiegrl

happyhippiegrl Member

Hey Sunny, Well I'm not quite sure what your looking for as far as an adventure. I also live in So. Cal. and maybe I could help you out with some information on things to do in your area. Do you have any activity centers in your area? Best way to go about anything is just asking questions. Tell your parents hey I'm bored can I go to camp this summer or something like that. You can email me if ya want. Goodluck girl. Peace:)

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

You shouldn't help out a 13 year old girl get away from home to join some commune.

4. SunnyTheKid

SunnyTheKid Member

thanks a whole lot, but i don't want to go to summer camp. and i certainly don't want to play basketball. much less SOCCER... or any other sport, activity, whatever. i've really got to get out of here, and have my fun, before i'm sent off to boarding school or something. i just want information on communes.

5. Mojave Joe

Mojave Joe Member

Hey Sunny,

Spend some time at the Intentional Communities site http://ic.org/ which has been around since 1994...

"Intentional Community is an inclusive term for ecovillages, cohousing, residential land trusts, communes, student co-ops, urban housing cooperatives and other related projects and dreams"

... hundreds of community listings, and you can use the advanced search...

http://directory.ic.org/records/?action=search

... to refine by location, whether it is an established commune or a new, forming one, plus select from...

Rural/Urban/Suburban
    Financial Style
    Number of Shared Community Meals
    Dietary Practice
    Decision Making Style
    Educational Style
    Percentage of Food Grown
    Incorporates one or more of these spiritual paths

... the choices are overwhelming, but fun to peruse!

Personally, I think you're WAY too young to move out, but there is no reason why you can't see what is available, and even visit some of these places in your area with a responsible adult, and when you're older, you might already have a plan for your life... or at least your first one as an adult.