Your Favorite Children's Books

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by CelticMuse, Jul 11, 2004.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Lion's Paw, Robb White
    upload_2018-7-22_7-37-0.jpeg

It's about three children taking a missing father's boat in search of a sea shell called a lion's paw in the belief that the father will return if only the shell can be found. Pursued by bounty hunters and the Coast Guard they encounter a giant storm at sea.
    Prices range from $20.00 to $700.00.

6Sailor9 likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

3. Jenny9595

Jenny9595 Members

I really enjoyed the Dark is Rising Sequence, by Susan Cooper.
    So we’ll written and spanning the ages. The Enid Blyton like Drew family, the Dark Harry Potter like Will. The coming to power from innocence, Bran.
    Linked by the mystical wizard, and the Arthurian legends.
    [​IMG]

4. thefallenone1986

thefallenone1986 Members

Famous Five. Animorphs. Harry Potter. Chronicles of Pyraadin

5. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Pretty much any of Roal dahl books + Robin Jarvis depford mice.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  6. LittleBitOfHope

LittleBitOfHope Members

For me as a child i loved all the fairytale books, they gave me hope that we can have happy endings

mysticblu21 and thefallenone1986 like this.
  7. leeds85

leeds85 Member

Would be any cat in the hat book for me.

"George W. Bush, was asked in a survey recently to name his favourite book from childhood.

He cited Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." Trouble is, it wasn't published until 1969 -- the year after he graduated from Yale."

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

MeAgain likes this.
  9. R. W. Culpepper

R. W. Culpepper Newbie

I have always loved, Charlotte's Web and Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham.

10. LittleFritter

LittleFritter Members

When I was really little I liked Hooray For Pig, and the Frog and Toad books. Later I got into the Prydain series (Black Cauldron, etc) by Lloyd Alexander. Wind In The Willows is another huge one. Not that the latter two are exactly 'kids books.'

11. Sarah Long

Sarah Long Newbie

Most of these activity books tend to all follow a certain theme and my little scribblers get bored after a few pages but there's bedtime in this activity book that came as a complete surprise. It had my kids and my husband laughing their socks off and it's almost become a nightly ritual at this stage. I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone but this is so well worth the cover price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FP9NWQW

[​IMG]

12. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

I like Fanny at Chez Panisse (Waters), Oh the Thinks you can Think! (Seuss), Lizard Music (Pinkwater), American Boy's Book of Brownies and Birds of the Woods (Beard), and American Folk Songs for Children (Seeger).

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Giving Tree.

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I have always liked Green Eggs and ham :)

15. Eliza Telford

Eliza Telford Newbie

I have recently read to my children Amazon Kindle books. They liked a lot Marina Nola's books "Bernegi, the quokkas". Adorable pictures and twisting plots. As I see, every book is a little piece of a whole story. I highly recommend reading them together. The second part must be must read for dads.

Toker likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I never paid attention to it (really) until I was in 8th grade at boarding school and honest to goodness parts of our curriculum (the emotional growth part) had their focus on the inner child...

My inner child was distinctly aware of Siddhartha, Blue Highways, Brave New World, and my private journey reading this book:
    [​IMG]
    ... And the focuses of our learning (emotional growth is a learning process) were, among others Dr. Seuss "Oh the Places You'll Go", which was used as a tool for thinking about and embracing your empowerment to live life to its fullest.
    [​IMG]
    -----
    More recently, I saw this image when I searched for Ritt Momney's "Put Your Records On" which features the artist sniffing a flower.
    upload_2023-1-14_11-28-59.png
    Instantly I was transported back in time 40 years to a time when I was a very very little boy, and my father read to me.

I remembered Ferdinand the Bull...
    [​IMG]
    For anyone who doesn't know me, I grew up in suburban California in a place where there was only one barrio with everything else basically gentrified. Before I turned 11, I played with Caucasian friends doing whatever we wanted, like video games or squirt bottles (instead of Super Soakers), slip 'n slide, or just running through the parkway lawn sprinklers. That was when it was easy.

As I grew up, social pressures were affecting my judgment. I started growing my hair, drank alcohol, and finally was sent to the boarding school.

This red book means something special to that "inner child". It serves as testimony to the idea that even when it gets very difficult, that I was loved as a child.

Some of the choices I make violate the validity of that memory. I must try to remember that when I need to know what to do.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  17. soulcompromise

Cair Paravel via Dawntreader...

Cair Paravel | The Chronicles of Narnia Wiki | Fandom

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Sneetches was one of our sons favourite bedtime stories.
    More than 40 years on, he now sees the true meaning and the affects that prejudice still has on our lives.

~Zen~ likes this.
  19. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Where the Wild Things are was a huge favorite of the kids in my class at Montessori. Every day someone wanted to grab that book for themselves...it was rather well--worn at the end of year one.

20. soulcompromise

[​IMG]