Your Favorite Children's Books

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by CelticMuse, Jul 11, 2004.

1. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

I just bought a copy of The Secret Garden for my young niece and it got me to thinking about books I loved when I was a child.
    My favorites were The Secret Garden and the Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott. I also loved the Little House books.
    What were your favorites?

6Sailor9 likes this.
  2. lorelai_g87

lorelai_g87 Senior Member

I can't remember the books I read when I was little. The only one that I can recall is Oliver Twist

3. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

When I was REALLY little, I like the Fraggle Rock books and Little Critter. Once I was a bit older, I liked Babysitter's Club(oh god. *shudder*) and was addicted to Archie Comics...

4. FoolishDreamer

FoolishDreamer Member

I really loved The Giver and I Am the Cheese. I was also into Holes, but that was when I was a little older, like 4th, 5th grade.

5. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I really liked The Phantom Tollbooth. It's always been one of my most favorites. Very different than a normal child's book. It's out there.
    The like the Dr. Seuss books too, but who does'nt? He has an art book out too that's really good.

6. cherryiceangel

cherryiceangel Member

when i was little i really liked the book that had the kid that had a terrible, horrible, very bad day..or something like that...lol

Then as I got older I read the babysitters club little sister series..the one with Karen

I hated(HATED!) that there was like the same chapter in every book it was always the 2nd or 3rd chapter...ugh!

7. FoolishDreamer

FoolishDreamer Member

cherryiceangel, i know exactly what you mean!!! It was that stupid chapter where Karen would explain how she has two mommies and two daddies and two houses and blabbity blah. I would always get mad when that chapter came up, and would often skip over it.

8. cherryiceangel

cherryiceangel Member

lol, Glad im not the only one! I had that one memorized...

9. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

oh oh oh my favorite book was this counting books, it had colorful snails and fish and stuff! oh yay im gonna go get it

10. cherryiceangel

cherryiceangel Member

did anyone ever read the one with the caterpillar?

11. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

When I was really little, I had a suscription to the Fraggle Rock books and I got one every month. And I also loved Where The Wild Things Are.
    When I was around 4th grade I used to read the Sweet Valley High books....and those cheesy R.L. Stein mystery books. I think my 4th grade reading material traumatised me......too much cheese factor, and that is why I dont read much anymore. hehe.:p

12. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

Are you My Mother? Dr Seuss

and Fudgeamania by Judy Bloom.

13. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

If I Ran the Circus - Dr. Seuss

I Can Lick 30 Tigers, Today - Dr. Seuss

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish - Dr. Seuss

i loved Dr. Seuss, as a kid. still do! :D

and Soup, by Robert Newton Peck. I loooooved that book!

14. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I loved The Giving Tree...by shel silversten, and Where the sidewalk ends, and the other one, light in the attic...All the Shel Silversten books i loved and still have..

15. amber

amber Member

When I was really young I loved the Serendipity series... Giving Tree and the Lorax were good ones.... I read so many lil paperback novels I don't even know what my favorites were... anything involving horses, indians, survivalism, etc... Ooohh... I liked the Boxcar children series and The Saddle Club. Also:::
    My Side of the Mountain
    Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry
    Little House Series
    The Black Stallion series
    etc.etc.... I was a friendless nerd who read waaaayyy too many books during my adolescent years....

16. RainbowLovinHippy

RainbowLovinHippy Member

I loved.....and still do as it goes!
    1. Where The Wild Are
    2.Harold and the Purple Crayon
    3.The Hungry catapillar
    4.Scouse the Mouse.

It's fab ive got achild cos i can read these books to her and remember my childhood. :)

17. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I was thinking, does anyone remember how the books were? Not what was in them, but the plastic on the outside? I remember in preschool and elementary school, all our books had plastic book covers on them. I can almost remember how they sounded when you opened them too.

18. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I read The Secret Garden when I was younger, and I loved that a lot. I also loved reading the Little House books. One year for Christmas, I got all the Little House books. But I don't know if I finished them.

19. FoolishDreamer

FoolishDreamer Member

I got a job working at the public library about 6 months ago, and it is so awesome to be putting books away, and many times I'll get distracted because I find a book that I loved when I was younger. That is the best part of the whole job, looking through all the books.

20. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

oh yeah...i forgot Chicken Little. When my mom would tell me to choose 3 books for her to read to me before bed, i would sometimes just ask her to read chicken little 3 times. hehe..aww..