You know you're from New Zealand when...

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Taylor, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

You Know You're From New Zealand When...You know what to do in an Earthquake: get into the nearest doorway before any other bugger and say, "Nah, i don't reckon it's the big one this time. We'll be right"

You can hum the theme song to Coronation street.

You know what apples really taste like (and that there are more than four different kinds)

You know rugby league is not, and never will be, an international sport.

You're not sure about cricket, either. Or hockey. Or netball. Or swimming. Or the women's 400m. Or any other sport in which Australia are world champions. Yes, you're even having doubts about real rugby.

You know what happened to the lead singer of Push Push

You're seen split Enz, or former members thereof, performing live at least once

You reckon anyone who carries on about how great they are is an up-themselves wanker. Or an Australian.

You wouldn't dream of wearing thongs on your feet. Thats what jandals are for.

The name "Chappell" still makes you queasy

You know someone who worked on The Lore of the Rings or Xena

You wish Fitzy, Zinzan and Josh were still playing for the ABs.

The dairy sells more than just stuff from cows

You rolled Snifters, rather then Jaffas, down the aisle at the movies

You know something's horribly wrong if you've been driving for more then 2 hours without the scenery changing.

The words "NZ cricket victory" just don't sound right, somehow.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from New Zealand.

2. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

when..

you put 'eh' on to the end of nearly every sentence. (or is that just Auckland?)
    "alright eh?" "Norse weether abaht eh?"

you eat fush 'n chups.

you don't think twice about barefooting it to the supermarket.

you can put up with the sound of rain on a metal roof.

3. veinglory

veinglory Member

I was stunned when I was turned away from a US supermarket ecause I had no shoes on. Live and learn. Apparentky they figure I'll somehow cut my foot open on their... linoleum.

johnshearing likes this.
  4. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

You know you're a kiwi when you get done in every sporting contest (especially cricket)

BUT

You know you're a kiwi, when on Anzac Day, you can stand with your Aussie neighbours and know it's something special :)

5. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

oh, shit, and herewas me thinking that the Lions tour, the one that we took out three - nil, was a sporting contest...my bad.

BUT

You know you're a kiwi, when on Anzac Day, you can stand with your Aussie neighbours and know it's something special :) [/QUOTE]
    and thankyou, it's surprising how many aussies think it's AAC day and that NZ had jack all involvement.

6. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Ah Moony, are you going to hold on to that Lions tour forever? Pity, that's it's the only win you have in mind. ;)

Of course i recognise the kiwi's involvement. We may poke fun at each other and like kicking each other's arses on the sporting field but we share a unique bond. The other won't ever be forgotten :)

See ya

and thankyou, it's surprising how many aussies think it's AAC day and that NZ had jack all involvement.[/QUOTE]

7. belladonna

belladonna Member

You know you're a Kiwi when.....

Someone's always trying to nick your public figures - usually the Aussies.

You know what a Kowhai tree looks like - & may have one growing in your yard.

You know the meaning of : Wiata,Aroha,Kia Kaha,Korero,Ka kete & Kia ora.

8. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

lol yes, omg...like the aussies giving Spilt Endz a lifetime Aria award. They also had Tim and Neil Finn down as some of Australia's best mussicians in Rolling Stone...give it up, guys :)

and trickster, yep, the lions tour was the last test we played so it kind of makes sense to talk about that, doesn't it? I mean you are really only as good as your last game...(which, btw, means that we rock :) )

9. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

what was it... oh yes... last year I (and 9 other fellow kiwis) were hanging out with a bunch of aussies, a bunch of south africans and a bunch of brits (also some americans but they don't play rugby so they don't count) and we realised that the NZers had the Bledisloe, the South Africans had the Tri Nations and the Brits had the World cup... and the aussies had jack shit... now I don't know about you, but that kinda made my night.

also, you know you're an NZer when the idea of living more then 2 hours away from the beach is foreign to you

you know you're a NZer when hokey pokey is an ice cream flavour, not just what they've got in th middle of crunchies.

10. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Split Enz received the Aria for their work in the Australian music industry. No-one thinks they are bloody kiwis. They were just being recognised for their achievements. I don't remember any kiwi music night doing that.

You know you're a kiwi when you winge about Aussies day in, day out.

And think you actually win the contest :p

11. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

then why, oh why did the aussie rolling stone recognise them as some of AUSTRALIA'S best musos?

i mean you guys have lots of super talented people, so why take other country's glory? practically everyone who is from NZ and who is famous, and who maybe had a 1 hr stopover in sydney on the way to LA suddenly becomes an aussie.
    you guys even tried to pinch shihad :)

12. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

now now ya left 1 out,, everyone knows a kiwis first girlfreind is a sheep... ;)

13. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Didn't hear the Finn brothers complaining. Did you?

Carn the AUSSIE cricket team :p

14. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

the finn bros changed the name os the band from split ends to split endz so that they had the nz in there somewhere, to remind aussies where they were from. They mentioned that in their speech - it was like 'yes we are very flattered KIWI's"

and yes, the aussies did do well at cricket...they didn't even have to underarm bowl :p

15. Megara

Megara Banned

not sure where exactly to post this..but since there was lion/all black talk..

have they announced the winner to the last man standing commercials? that ad used to be played every other ad...

16. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

God i cringe when i see that footage of the bodyline series. At least today's players have more integrity than that.

I have no wish to claim the Finn Brothers in any way, it's all in fun if anything. Plus, one listen to them speak and it's completely obvious that they are kiwis. Well, not to the yanks but there you go :p

17. MollyThe Hippy

MollyThe Hippy get high school

you know you're a new zealander when you're waiting for a non-new zealander to commit the most minor of faux paus and then you jump all over their ass

18. Megara

Megara Banned

don't be an ass. They may have been a bit too PC, but they were trying to help...

19. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Exactly. I was just correcting a mistake which is the obvious thing to do. I wasn't jumping down your throat but if i see something that i know is not true, isn't it a normal thing to correct it? Anyway.............It's not really a big deal.

20. vimmeroony

vimmeroony Member

I look at that..

and then i look at your avatar..

:p