Yeah Denver!

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by Adamness, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Adamness

Adamness Member

2. lenamarina

lenamarina LaLa

Woot!! That rocks but it says that people will still be prosecuted under Colorado State Laws. Confusing.

"Opponents also said it made no sense to prevent prosecution by Denver authorities while marijuana charges are most often filed under state and federal law."

"DENVER - Residents of the Mile High City have voted to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. Authorities, though, said state possession laws will be applied instead."

:( I guess it's a step in the right direction.

3. Adamness

Adamness Member

Symbolic victory, if nothing else.

4. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

State law is more lenient than the old city ordnance: The LA Times sez:

"State laws banning pot still apply in Denver, however. Police for years have cited most offenders under state law rather than city ordinance, as a matter of convenience.

The state law is pre-printed on the front of tickets, so just by checking a box an officer can issue a fine for as much as $200. To use the previous city ordinance — which carried the threat of as much as a year in jail if convicted — an officer would have to write out the relevant code by hand."

http://www.latimes.com/la-na-pot3nov03,0,1456097.story?coll=la-story-footer&track=morenews

How come we're not reading the Rocky Mountain News on this? That paper must be published by potheads. It's folded funny.

5. Ebene

Ebene Mountaineer

It's supposed to be like how some people get speeding tickets and have to go to court then some don't...

6. Big H

Big H Member

so wut does that mean, cops in denver will just not care or will u still be fucked in denver if u got like an 8th of weed on u????

7. confessor

confessor Member

They may not care, or they may try to f@&^ you over;

From head of SAFER (Safer Alternatives for Enjoyable Recreation) Mason Tvert:

"They say their legitimacy comes from being elected by the people, but now they're not going to recognize this vote," said Tvert. "Why are they hiding behind state law? The fact is, this city has the right to handle marijuana cases under the municipal law, and it is a matter of prosecutorial discretion to do so," he said. "Ultimately, if our elected officials fail us, we may have to find new ones," he said. "Anyone who is arrested for marijuana possession in Denver on state charges could demand a trial".

This is a milestone, people. We finally have some recourse to the law, however minute. A lot of people have fought for a long time for something like this. Thank God public opinion is finally starting to reflect a hint of logic in regards to marijuana laws. Now if we can just get the politicians to apease the voters who put them in office .... I guess that's another battle.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/410/denver.shtml

8. Beleg

Beleg Member

Uh, fucked? Getting a ticket and having your pot confinscated is not quiet the definition of 'fucked'. Its decriminalized here in Colorado. We only get fines.

9. Turn

Turn Member

Its weird ya know, 54% of the people vote it should be decriminalised then BAM thats it the issue should be closed, curse this Republic, if we only lived in a Democracy.

10. jojoeyes

jojoeyes kinda high

in conclusion, everything blows ass.

11. SirTokesAlot

SirTokesAlot Lives

12. ssj3gotenks

ssj3gotenks Member

thank you sirtokesalot for your vital contribution. :rolleyes:

13. SinPusher

SinPusher Member

The will of the people is now known, but the stupid fucking police will still use state and Federal law to harrass us otherwise lawbiding citizens. They have put weed on par with alcohol here and made the case that the community is a safer place to live. The idea was to free up resources to go after crimes with victims.

For you locals. At 7:30pm on Friday night on PBS channel 6 there will be a debate about how the new law will affect us all. Also for locals, if you have any interest in the medi community here, pm me for more info and meeting place.

14. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

Congratulations Denver! According to the law, you can now possess an ounce of marijuana. Just don't smoke or sell it!

Hahaha, what a joke. At least it's something!

15. SG69

SG69 Member

Could this be the start of legalization nation wide? I sure as hell hope so!

16. Zeke

Zeke Member

I think its a slow phase in, lets face it, were in horrible debt because of the war and the recent gauntlet of hurricans the southern coastal states have suffered greatly and so has our economy. If pot was legelized the goverment would have more control over it and they would be able to tax it. Think about how much money the govermant makes off a pack of cigarettes, now think about how much more the government could make off of pot, I don't know about any of you but I would pay 10-15 bucks for a pack of twenty joints full of the best dro. and its just as easy if not easier to grow pot then it is to grow tobacco.

17. GuavaJelly

GuavaJelly Member

I am from Colorado and I think this is a big victory. For one how many pot heads do you think actually went out and voted? I for one didn't even know this was on the ballet until it was passed. This means this law will hopefully spread across the state, and mabey more pot heads like myself will pay attention the next time and there will be even more votes in favor of legalization. The new law is, yes, mainly symbolic due to state and federal regulations, but a very good start.