Y2K 2.0

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It stems from the idea that if everybody did their part we would live with far less concerns about environmental destruction.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

If you don't care about changing even little things in your lifestyle in favor of changing stuff for the better (because other people aren't doing it either.... worst reason ever btw) you don't get what Soulcompromise is saying.

skip and soulcompromise like this.
  2. Asmodean

Because it is nonsense.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I knew it would be you ;)

I'm sure the guy thats climbing on the roof of a train along with 100 people to get to work in Mumbai, hears the story of some american who was bored and travelled 3 miles less in his own car to go shopping, is going to be impressed, pat him on the back, wow he is really doing his part to save the planet

Lolz

machinist and GeorgeJetStoned like this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Just want to see if this will work. It's a carbon footprint calculator that lets you see exactly how much in metric tons of co2 your car has made judging by the number of miles on the odometer. Mine is 66.71! :fearful:

<iframe width="710" height="1300" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" src="Carbon Footprint Calculator"></iframe>

EDIT: it won't embed *sigh*

Here is a link if you're curious about it VG.

carbonfootprint.com - Carbon Footprint Calculator

5. Asmodean

I wouldn't mind apathy and/or a complete lack of responsibility if it would only impact the people who display it.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Errr, i dont have a car, so 0

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If my footprint is lower than yours, and safe to say it is or will be ;) without me even trying or caring, then what?

8. soulcompromise

It asks for information for all of the following
    The above are each presented as a tab on the calculator. I think the makers intend for you to look at the combined result. This is sort of how I learned about eating; by plugging nutritional information into a site Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com .

K, just thought it would be interesting.

9. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Attempts at saving our forests have done more to increase the likelihood and the intensity of forest fires than any armchair environmentalist wants to know.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

What would happen if the poles flipped??

Weather changes all over??

Hmmmmm

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Hotwater would have to stand on his head at the club

12. soulcompromise

I read part of the article posted by the OP and followed a link to National Geographic. From there another link... etc. Here is what I came to find out. There is going to be a flipping of the poles. They don't know when. But it probably won't cause satellites to fall out of the sky or anything like that.

Climate Change Is Moving the North Pole

13. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

On the issue of forest fires, which are carbon neutral in the first place, we are not seeing more of them, we are causing more of them. But we are also stopping more of them. Think back a couple of centuries. Then as now, MOST forest fires were started by lightning strikes. But back then a forest fire could and often would burn hundreds of square miles up to the equivalent of a state or two. But these days humans are not just letting them burn. Back then, they had no choice.

Another thing to consider is that we have far more trees today in the US than we did 200 years ago. Why? Because only a tiny percentage of Americans use trees for fuel today. Everybody did 200 years ago. We also see an increase in forest fires because forests are poorly maintained, especially near cities. It has become an unpopular "sin" to cull trees. The result is a virtual freeway for flames once a fire begins.

What's really humorous is the "war on paper" that I have watched for decades now. This is largely because so many people seem to think that paper is made from any tree they can find. Instead, most of the trees used for paper are grown for that purpose. And nobody who makes paper wants a batch of shortleaf pine mulch to be contaminated by random oaks and poplars. Another problem with the war on paper was the reaction of the food industry. Just look at all the containers made from petroleum-based foam. THAT is how the industries responded after being guilted about trees.

And that was an issue that was only a few decades in the making. Do we really want to rush in changes that we think will "solve" the climate issues? Consider how long it will take to realize even IF we were right or wrong. As I have said many times, it's time to switch back to a concept that average people can more readily measure on a personal basis, pollution. I think it makes more sense to persuade people to limit their personal contributions to pollution, something they can see, smell and taste. It will probably have the desired climatic reaction much sooner than trying to saddle average people with the responsibility of altering the entire planet.

farmerdon likes this.
  14. soulcompromise

And here's what's on the site that provides Carbon Footprint Calculator

Now we can see where I got that. If there is any question as to how credible my information is please refer to the following URL: carbonfootprint.com - Carbon Footprint Calculator

15. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Uh, you can't have a graph without labeling and measuring the axes.
    As far as I can see it's not measuring ANYTHING.
    This graph is utter nonsense, and doesn't even measure human global warming.
    You should quit with your propaganda cause we can easily see thru it.

That site is obviously spreading false info, not reliable.

16. skip

First of all here's some FACTS, in a properly labeled and measured graph from NASA (not scientific enough?)
    Our latest measurement of CO2 in real time is 407.62 ppm.

Doesn't look like your FAKE GRAPH now does it?
    YOUR graph left out the last 20,000 YEARS!

Now do you see how easily it is to create a fake history for political and profit reasons?

[​IMG]

Here's the page it came from with the lastest CO2 readings:
    Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Carbon Dioxide

And we are now taking a stand against FAKE NEWS and reports like farmer don posted on HF.
    Time to clean up the site! :)

No more links to FAKE NEWS, unless to criticize and point out the falsehoods.
    That's HIP! To not fall for the lies of questionable sources, including the attacks on the real journalists.

Don't be a TOOL of the Military/Industrial machine.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  17. skip

Here's how it has increased in just the last 13 yrs. At this rate, air will soon be causing nearly everyone some distress.

CO2.png

18. skip

Yes, but yours is definitely FAKE graph with FAKE conclusions.
    P.S. I don't label real journalism as fake, as others do.
    Don't be a tool!

19. skip

OK, he's gone (for now). Any other trolls spreading fake news here? Let me know!
    Zero tolerance time.

Dude111 likes this.
  20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

[​IMG]