Would People Eat Meat If They Saw How It Was Prepared?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Jimbee68, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think most people should consider it their responsibility as consumers to know exactly where their food comes from and how it is prepared. I am always surprised by the amount of people I talk to who have no idea where their food comes from (chocolate milk from brown cows, anyone?). It is dangerous on a personal, small, and global scale.

2. sickgirl

sickgirl Members

I applaud you for being vegan!! I am a proud vegetarian (100%). I don't eat eggs, cheese, etc as well although I'm not 100% vegan. I think it's nightmarish how animals are treated (slaughter) when they are essentially MURDERED for food. There is absolutely NO reason for this because people could buy vegetarian and vegan food that tastes just like meat! (Morningstar farms is an amazing brand, for example that is easy to find in the frozen food section of a market..) How human beings can torture these innocent animals "for food" is beyond me. I refuse to help fund the meat industry due to their barbaric ways of killing animals....it is totally unnecessary.

2 people like this.
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I like meat.

Nature gave me pointy teeth and a digestive system with the ability to break down saturated animal fats and proteins. I'm going to go ahead and stay with what has worked for hundreds of thousands of years of human history.

That being said, I think most people would likely cease being gluttons if they had to, say, kill their own.

1 person likes this.
  4. Slipikins

Slipikins Members

We actually buy our meat from a nose to tail butcher that buys the animals from local ranchers that believe in raising humane, out to pasture, no hormone or antibiotic livestock. The butcher prepares everything in house and no part of the animal is wasted. We live in a very diverse city so it's easy for them to sell all parts of the animal. Besides that we catch most of our own fish but still go to the fish market for crab, lobster, etc. and cold water fish like cod, haddock that we can't get here.

We buy our fruits and veggies from local farmer co-ops as much as possible. What we can't get there we do go to a local grocery chain here that is employee owned and prides itself in hiring the elder, disabled and handicapped. It takes a little more planning but I think everyone benefits in the end.

And while I couldn't personally kill and process an animal unless I absolutely had to, I have no issues with people being skilled in the butchery trade. I think more people should have real trades and offer services and we wouldn't be in the fucked up mess we're in now.

2 people like this.
  5. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

Would people eat fruits and vegetables if they had go out and plant or forage for them themselves?

1 person likes this.
  6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You will think twice about it once you hear an apple scream.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Always wear earbuds when eating a raw apple

8. Lawrence of Arabia

Lawrence of Arabia Members

I've watched, and practiced gathering animals and prepared them for storage, cooking, etc. since I was a child so it doesn't bother me at all.

My first experience was as a young kid, the family butchered 37 chickens. They look funny running around with their head cut off (I suppose I would too).

I had the fun job of plucking the feathers off after they died and had been dunked in boiling hot water (the feathers come out easier).

When I was a teen, my friend's grandfather was laying them up on the block to cut their heads off, and naming them after political figures he didn't like before lopping their head off. Quite funny.

9. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

I have known people who watched vegan related documentaries and then they stopped eating meat as a result of the viewing. One woman I knew at work stopped eating beef because she said she identified with the sad eyes of the cows in a documentary she watched.

Personally, for me, I can know all about the process of how the meat arrived on my plate, and I will still eat it. Growing up, my father killed rabbits and chickens, and I ate the meat.

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I worked in a chicken factory for 6 years. Almost everyone in their ate chicken. There was quite a few immigrants working there but the vast majority were american blacks and maybe 20% whites.

Also if meat was outlawed it wouldn't be sustainable for very long. More plants would have to be eaten to make up for the empty spot on the plate where the meat used to be. Plus the animals that were once killed will live on eating more plants than they would have.

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Growing plants is FAR more sustainable then using that same land for animals. The animals will eat more plants? Not sure what you mean and how that is a big deal.

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Surely there would be less animals to eat the plants because without the meat industry millions of animals would never be bred in the first place. True, we'd have to wait for the current generations of cows, pigs, sheep etc to croak, but once they did their numbers would be vastly reduced - in fact many might disappear altogether.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

all at once or over a period of time? if this was a one day event that had to be a loooong day.

1 person likes this.
  14. deleted

deleted Visitor

dip you birds in hot wax, easier to remove pin feathers

15. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Got to get back to the land . Oops , I'm here but it's the State of Monsanto . I can move .

2 people like this.
  16. Kerri

Kerri Members

My husband hunts and fishes. We're familiar with the process. I respect people's individual choices as well as their advocacy for things they believe in, but personally i enjoy meat and will eat it knowing the process. I do agree with the premise that you should know where your food comes from. To what degree that impacts your choices is personal

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.