Why do you live there?

Discussion in 'Hip Communities' started by Nebulous, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Born and raised in NJ. Didn't have a choice to pick where I live when I was born. I'm looking to bail out of NJ sometime in the near future.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. Symon Phoenix

Symon Phoenix Newbie

My main 2 reasons....
    1. I can't afford to move;
    2. There's currently no other place I want to be.

3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Mother Nature gave me a choice of here or Bolder Colorado, and I hate cold weather. She crashed six computers on me once, just to remind me of who is in charge, but she likes to at least pretend I have a choice.

4. We were always supposed to move but for 20 years we just kept getting further and further entrenched here, now we are well and truly stuck. I wish we could move but it's not likely. We have been talking about buying some cheap property in the mountains, to hopefully, one day build a small cabin on so at least I have a place to get away to.

5. SantaCruzRob

SantaCruzRob Senior Member

That's why I am where I am, chasing a rainbow and falling on my face.
    P.S. I'm in my underwear too but nothing fancy, just plain black and snug.
    I don't think I'd look good in something shiny like satin. :rolleyes:

6. Barry Thrift

Barry Thrift Members

In Greece half way up a mountain great place to be, if we look over to Kalamater and the sea sometimes we catch a plain taking off. but we now are getting hot days and cold nights, its quite at nights and most of the days, the air is good, great place to be as I spend most of the year naked till it gets cold, could be yours for the right price.

7. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Moved here for a job and decided to stay. That was over 40 years ago.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i moved to the general area of my current location when someone i know from online from sharing an interest, offered to rent a room in a house he was buying, for a lot less then it was costing me to live where i was at the time. after about three years he up and decided owning a house, not to mention one shared to help him pay for it, was more responsibility then he wanted at that point in his life, and sold his equity in it to someone who did not want to continue renting to the rest of us. as a result of this i am living by myself in the first place i came to where i could.

also part of the reason, it is closer to where i would want to be then where i was before i came up here. just on the other side of it from there.
    there are things both that i like and that i don't, both about the place and location.

oddly enough, family, friends or job have nothing to do with it. parents are dead. relatives i have no idea where any are living or if they are still alive.
    friends, well that house was friends, but not really close, and haven't really formed much in the way of friendships since.
    there really isn't anyone i know where they live i feel that close to. one or two neighbors are sort of friends, but i haven't really done anything to attract friends, and thus don't expect any.

pretty much every place i've ever lived, almost every, was led to by the path of least resistence.
    with my pension, modest as it is, i get by with my interests, and not really depending on anything else.

trying to move for me now would be almost more hassle then it would be worth, but i would like for there to be a garden instead of a parking lot.
    i do have good access to public transportation and only one wall with a neighbor on the other side of it. those are both a major plus.

having grown up and lived most of my life in northern california does have something to do with my living in northern nevada. but i was actually born in buffalo new york. was only 3 when i left there though. my mother's relatives were all east coast when i was growing up, but i have no idea where any except one of them are now. my father's relatives i've never met any of them.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    PGA likes this.
  9. PGA

PGA Senior Member

I am 73, and I have missed many of my relatives to visit them during my past life, so now I feel it has been my fault for not trying to get close to them. Recently I have tried to communicate with them through Whatsup, or Telegram systems. All of them are happy as well as me to be in touch and chat with. Thanks to the media technology to change all the past personal communications problems.
    I am sure it is hard to break some of our good or bad habits, but if we try to make a change in our lifestyle, we could be happier. You said you don't have any information about your relatives, but you may get their address or other information through the internet which is so easy to search. I am sure you will get some information about them.
    Just try it you will be happy.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm happy now. the only thing that would make me happier would be to be surrounded by densely forested wilderness instead of parking lots.
    and you still need to know more then someone's current first or last name only, to find anything other then a verrrry large haystack.
    you don't seem to get that i've never met half of them ever in my life, nor even no either of their names of more then a quarter of them.
    and the ones who are or might be alive now, my mother's sister's children, again i have not enough knowledge, or interested either to be honest.
    my lifestyle is what it is, because mundane lifestyles do NOT make me happy. the way i live and choose to does.
    and sorry, no, i don't miss them. i'm curious about them. but only just.
    no. what interests me is the intersection between infrastructure and environment. people are ok, but they're not what i live for.

11. PGA

PGA Senior Member

Alright, if you are happy that is great, the most important is to be happy no matter how, and why.

12. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

Interesting but you might be surprised. I accepted the position of executor for a man many years ago who had never been married. He had two siblings which he didn't associate with and hadn't for decades. He passed away a couple of years after he had drawn up his will. Not knowing what was in store I hired a lawyer to look into what needed to be done. The lawyer was adamant about contacting the next of kin and did research through the internet only to find both siblings had passed before him. But there were children of those siblings including two illegitimate children by his brother. Their mother had passed years before but they were considered next of kin. In all there ended up being 7 people who needed to be contacted and informed of his death. Then affidavits were collected from each one of them to insure the will would not be contested. All proceeds of his estate went to a charity. So whether you are interested or not, (I think there is some or you wouldn't have mentioned it here) it is possible to find kin, relations, and make contact with just a first and last name. That's all I had.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i am 73 year old. i have been married and outlived her.
    i have not had children, thank god, too dam many humans on this planet already.

in short, i have been there and done that.

i do not have a significant accumulation of assets liquid or easily liquifiable.

much as i love affection as much as anyone else,
    i love not being robbed of thinking my own thoughts,
    dreaming my own dreams, and believing my own beliefs,
    somewhat considerably more
    then the idea of mundane companionship being any sort of substitute for doing so.

and i have no problem with the idea of anyone wishing to believe
    this makes me something other then entirely human.

now why precisely would i be "surprised" by any of the rest of it?

14. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

I needed access to mountains, the ocean, lakes, campgrounds, trails and a sky clear enough to be able to see Orion's Bow.

themnax and PGA like this.
  15. Lovnflman

Lovnflman Members

Initially moved here for a job out of college. After a couple years I left for a career. Swore I'd never come back. My parents retired here, so I moved back to be near them. Then I met my wife.......kids and grandkids later I'm not leaving again. Plus.....I HATE COLD WEATHER!

16. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The People's Republic of Sussex - 'nuff said !!!

17. Farmall

Farmall Members

I was born here and have never moved. I’m the 7th generation on this homestead.

PGA likes this.
  18. BenS Alaskan

BenS Alaskan Members

Alaska. Born here. Want to be buried here. The Outside is hectic. Too much for me

Farmall likes this.
  19. boubindica

boubindica Banned

I moved to London from Sussex, to be with my partner at the time. I had to downsize because my partner was trying to get full custody of the kids so he could have the house too. He failed. I lived in a few places in London, but the reason I’m currently in this very small but cosy flat? My youngest daughter and her husband were living in it and were expecting their second child. The Corporation said it would be years before they could re-house them in something suitable. I had a big spacious flat and they lived in this one bed box. So I offered to swap with them. What we do for our kids eh…

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot