Why Do So Many People Read Crap Fiction Books?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Gangster Guru, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

So I go to the new fiction section in the book shop. I read the first couple of paragraphs of new publications and everything is pap. A waste of paper and resources.

Why why why!!!

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Different folks different strokes.

I recall wondering the same about those regional/countryside novels which just seem to be about ordinary people living ordinary lifes. Now, i still don't dig that genre but I'm not baffled anymore why other people like to indulge

I also recall my first impression of Dr. Who: lamest (science) fiction ever. Fans should develop some proper taste :D

1 person likes this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I don't follow new fiction to be honest. Maybe I should. The only two contemporary writers I follow are Paul Auster and Michel Houellebecq.

I'm only interested in work that is written out of an essential need, and displays this quality.

If anyone could recommend some good writing, I'm all ears.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Publishers and authors want to make money.

People want to escape from the real world, which for many may be even crappier than the one depicted in the fiction they read.

Can't think of any contemporary fiction to recommend. Seems to me like it's a case of 'game over'. Probably the 20th c was the end of the age of literature.

5. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I usually only read non-fiction books, because I like to read stories of real people who can teach me something. If I want to read bad fiction, I'll go on Facebook. lol

wrat1, Bilby and etherea like this.
  6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I read somewhere that most new books are printed to make an expected loss, in the hope that maybe one out of a hundred will make money. If a book by a new author sells 5000 copies, that is considered a success.

7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

As Napoleon said 'quantity has a quality all of its own'.

Obviously though profits are made by publishers, or they'd go out of business.

8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think like anything, if there's a lot of hype over a book (Fifty Shades of Grey comes to mind) even though it's bad writing, people will read it.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Basically, I feel this way about most new films and music too.

1 person likes this.
  10. Slipikins

Slipikins Members

I HATE DR. WHO!

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like dr. Who now.

12. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

It's just a question of what appeals to the masses most + accessibility. Most people (myself included for the most part) read to be entertained as opposed to edified (at least when it comes to fiction).

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It is possible to be entertained and edified at the same time. I haven't got time to waste on most of the crap that comes out. This is why we have literary criticism. Thankfully 99.9 per cent of the new stuff that comes out will be consigned to the historical dustbin, thus sparing future generations the tedium of having to read it.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

There are many very good books of fiction although I can't name any current ones.

Such as The Grapes of Wrath, 1984, Lord of the flies, On the Road, A Farewell to Arms, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, etc.

But they are by far outweighed by the garbage.
    All you have to do is visit the book section at your local Goodwill store. Although I must say the good fiction is probably more likely to be retained in home libraries than given away to GW. Although although even those home libraries must be dispersed at some point so the chaff must outweigh the wheat.

wrat1 and scratcho like this.
  15. I also hate "popular fiction" but there are two important points to be made:

1 People are still buying books and reading

2 If everyone liked the same stuff there would be far less choice

I read every day and it is mostly non fiction but sometimes after reading a particularly difficult book I like a wee bit fiction just to get myself ready for the next challenge.

Asmodean likes this.
  16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

y'all just sound like a bunch of intellectual snobs putting down what the less intelligent read ?

only author I enjoy is art vandalay

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  17. I'm not putting down anyone man. I just hate what seems to be popular right now.
    If that makes me an intellectual snob so be it.
    And it all started so well [​IMG]

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I have been working my way through my bucket list of classics for a while but occasionally I like to give my brain a break and read a pure escapist, mediocre, populist piece of fiction. I have no shame in it. Some books are designed to make you think and some are just for fun.

And occasionally I do stumble upon modern books that I think will be well respected pieces of literature in due time, it doesnt happen often though

Makes me wonder how many truly great works of fiction are often passed over by agents and publishers because they don't know how to market them or make money off them.

1 person likes this.
  19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I much prefer non-fiction. I like to learn something from reading, and not just have an entertaining experience.

When I want throw-away fiction though, I just go to the Love & Sex forums here.

Bilby likes this.
  20. Kerri

Kerri Members

I could not agree more!!

1 person likes this.