Why Do Christians Always Claim Famous People Repent On Their Death Bed?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 25, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Almost any famous Atheist or non-Christian is always claimed to repent on their death bed because they see God is real and will punish them. Famous examples Issac Newton, Christopher Hitchens, Charles Darwin, and Anton Lavey. All of them in some way spoke against Christianity and all of them funny enough have the same death experience.

First this just shows the Christian God is actuly quite petty and angry. More like the Old Testament god and not the new which apparently Jesus changed the rules on. Like hey he's got a kid so he's not such an asshole with the plagues and all anymore. The concept of hell alone shows this. It kind of undermines the concept of a forgiving god don't you think? You better kiss my ass or else I will punish you forever. Hell did not even exist until the Catholic Hutch made it up in the middle ages. It's a tool of control.

Second there is often ZERO evidence for this happening and lots of evidence to the contrary. To me it just seems like some sort of way for the Christian to think they have "won". Regardless of if they did repent it does not matter because that person is in Hell and that makes the Christian happy. It's not very loving at all. But I've known many who get very excited about this. One day you will see I am right and I will laugh at you from Heaven. Is that really what Jesus would do?

So I guess my question is where do you get this information and does the average Christian actuly believe it? If so why what does this do for you?

I'm not supporting a man like Anton Lavey because in my own way I know a god. It's not Christian and I understand that the black energy he invited in is not healthy. I too was a Satanist for a time and I learned a lot about what you can actuly do and what forces you can meet if you go deep enough into it. But that time also showed me that Satanism is deeply embedded into Christianity. It's why so much of the hate and lack of acceptance is allowed. Those forces feed off negative human emotion. When you hate the gay for example it's like a buffet for them. Humans are so powerful when they get past that. As your own bible says the greatest trick the devil plays is to convince you he does not exist. What better way to do that than to act as the exact opposite and be god.

I am however supporting men of science though like Newton and Hitchens. So it makes me sad to Christians so opposed to their ideas. If god gives you your brain you are meant to use it.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't know exactly what his views were but I believe Newton was a Religious Person.

I'd say it just shows the people who claim these deathbed conversions are petty. Even assuming it were true, it's odd to me that these people would point to a person's weakest, sickest moments in an attempt to devalue? said person's body of work, thoughts and ideas throughout their lifetime. But some of these stories are likely baseless claims.

A large part of many people's religious beliefs are built around taking things on faith, regardless of evidence.

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The question in the thread title is rhetoric right?

4. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Hitch was defiant to the end. Besides, if there is a God it's not likely to have any preference for a particular religion since they're all just feeble human attempts to eff up the ineffable.

5. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

God does not accept death bed repentance. Anybody can do that. Live a bad life and say your sorry right before you die ain't going to cut it. Selfish behavior

6. unreality

unreality Members

Some people repent just before dying because it really cost nothing but this idea that people on their death bed suddenly see there's a god who hides behind the scenes not providing ration thinking people a shred of evidence of his existence who will cast "unbelievers" (at least 70% of 7 billion people and counting) in a lake of fire to be tormented day and night forever just because they don't believe in him is false.

7. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

It is false. Hell is a lie that has been told for a long time. There is no hell

8. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Hell is the grave and human sleep in the grave

9. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Sleeping in death

10. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

There is nothing that survives our body after death

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Eternally in the hands of the goddess (Hel).

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Maybe in your church. Most Christians I know think God accepts death bed confessions. As for God, who knows? The important thing is the sincerity. Your subsequent posts indicate that you have no belief in an afterlife, nor have I, so the point is kinda moot. Anything that gives a dying person and his/her survivors comfort is okay by me. Fabrication of deathbed conversion stories is not okay, because it's deceptive and robs the deceased of something they considered a part of their identity.

13. I guess it's to try and convert the weak-minded who would actually be impressed by that. Maybe you're wondering why they sometimes do it because people are obviously more complex than that...people enjoy having their own belief systems and philosophies quite a bit and they aren't easily turned by anyone's opinion.

Or maybe it's just to try and point out that atheists aren't as firm in their convictions as they seem, to try and undermine that.

14. I honestly don't believe God condemns anyone, repent or no. If there is a God, I would expect he/she/it is the biggest fan of the personality. It takes all kinds. And maybe Earth just isn't the place for everyone to agree all the time and be hunky dory. Maybe that's what makes the afterlife so great...when we find out everything was kind of a big joke an we were all on the same team all along.

15. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Acts 26:20

Acts 26:20
    to those in Damascus first and then to those in Jerusalem, and over all the country of Ju·deʹa, and also to the nations, I was bringing the message that they should repent and turn to God by doing works that befit repentance.

16. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

6 Therefore, now that we have moved beyond the primary doctrine+ about the Christ, let us press on to maturity,+ not laying a foundation again, namely, repentance from dead works and faith in God, 2 the teaching on baptisms and the laying on of the hands,+ the resurrection of the dead+ and everlasting judgment.

17. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

False
    Psalms 37:29
    The meek shall inherit the earth and live forever upon it

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

"He who shall teach the Child to Doubt
    The rotting Grave shall ne'er get out.
    He who respects the Infant's faith
    Triumph's over Hell & Death."

-from Auguries of Innocence by William Blake

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Ah, a literalist. Jesus said the same thing in the Sermon on the Mount. So how meek are you? I personally think it's metaphorical.

20. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know. My father never believed in anything after this life, and he did not have any change of mind as he died.

I think that if there is any continuing...you go on as you are. If you know who you are inside and have made peace with that and like that.....that should be good enough, I would think.