Who's in Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by MattInVegas, Mar 6, 2005.

1. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hi LucidDreamer. I live north of Fairbanks. Pretty warm in Anchorage today eh. We've warmed up ourselves to a whopping 23 today. It's good for the halloween festivities. I know what you mean about leaving the state, it doesn't take too long to miss it. So what do you do down south there?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Lucid Dreamer: Hi from Seward. 42 here and raining.
    Havn't left the state in 6 years and was homesick after 3 days in Washington state.
    Tell folks I didn't leave anything in the lower 48 I need to go get, so I guess I'll stay here.. Have a nice winter.......Dennis

3. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

matt, if you move to alaska, you're gonna need studded snow tires for your ride. ;)

4. LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer Member

FreeInAlaska: Yeah Alaska is great, Ive worked here before back in 01 on boat out of Dutch Harbor. But after sept 11 I joined the Military which has what Brought me to this great state.
    ALASKAN: I know know its like where ever I go this is my home, untill I moved here even when I lived in ND, Cali was my home. Alaska herself drew me in.... LOL

5. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Have any of you been to Coldfoot Camp? I was checking out jobs there.

6. freeinalaska

I run the Coldfoot telephone company. I'm up there all the time. Coldfoot Camp is a great group of people and everyone seem to like working there. The camp manager is a great guy. Sure alot of the jobs are service industry jobs like dishwashing and room cleaning, but interested, motivated poeple can end up as river rafting guides.

Beautiful country up there being in the Brooks Range. It is the halfway point for truckers running the haul road from Fairbanks to the north slope oil fields, so lots of truck traffice through there.

I would recommend the place as a place to work.

ETA- The camp itself isn't really much to look at. The hotel is an old ATCO pipeline setup, which is basically moblie home looking units assembled together, and summer employee housing are wall tents with no power and the bathroom facilities a walk away. There is a bar in the cafe, but employees aren't allowed to drink there.

7. mictihtoya

mictihtoya Member

Anyone here live in Juneau?

8. Hippified_RCer

Hippified_RCer P.L.U.R.

ive got fam right near juneau. wicked tiny town too. i forgot the name but its some weird russian name. wen i finish school im gonna be moving up to AK. i cant wait, cuz most of my moms brothers and sisters live in AK

9. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Member

Thread back from the dead - I'm from Anchorage, AK. Been up here for almost 20 years. I haven't left since I got here, and only plan to leave to possibly meet some family that's getting old in the lower 48. I love it up here, it is the most beautiful wonderland of all. :)

10. freeinalaska

Hi Mrs. White. I certainly agree with it being the most beautiful wonderland here.

11. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Member

I can't wait for the winter wonderland we are about to have, but I am more thankful for the nice summer we actually got this year! I went to 3 festivals and the weather was nice for all of them, including the fair.

12. freeinalaska

With the exception of some July wildfire smoke we have had an epic summer here around Fairbanks as well. September has been just awesome. And yeah, I'm looking forward to winter, too.

13. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Member

That smoke was horrible in Anchorage too, it made my lungs hurt after a couple days or so of it being around. It's a shame that every summer we get fires that burn our beautiful forests, and sometimes alot of it. Very awesome that there are other Alaskans on here.

Cheers!

14. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Damn~I got turned down AGAIN, for a job in Coldfoot Camp.

15. rcable

rcable Member

Key word of emphasis here.

Sounds good to me. Perseverance isn't an award to the first person to give up. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

16. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Homer

17. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I'm finally heading to Alaska...I arrive in Anchorage on March 31st. No idea what I will do once I get there...I will figure it all out later.

18. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Squawkers7, send me a PM if you need a contact in the A.K.

19. Edward74

Edward74 Guest

if you move to alaska, you're gonna need studded snow tires for your ride[​IMG]

BenS Alaskan likes this.
  20. Purple44

Purple44 Members

..the last sentence