Who here has lived in Africa???

Discussion in 'Africa' started by GlowingStorm, Mar 2, 2009.

1. GlowingStorm

GlowingStorm Member

I'm beginning to realize that I want to retire in africa..., I have never been there and i obviously plan on visiting before i go. But off of the top of my head, I've seriously thought about kenya, tanzania, ivory coast, ghanna, cameroon..., basically any country on the southern shore of west africa or any country in east africa.

I am only 26, but its becoming more apparent to me that this is the future!! Can anyone share stories of living in africa..., any stories at all from any country???!!!

thanx so much! :)

2. thebfswede

thebfswede Member

Does a single year count? (A year as volountary teacher in the Kenyan bush close to the tanzanian border.) I won't check the thread so send PM, please.

3. kenitasaro

kenitasaro Guest

seven years in Botswana teaching in Gabarone and also a school near the Caprivi Strip in the heart of the Okavango Delta. To live there needs a mind shift of total acceptance that the way others live is OK

4. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

Africa is a festering shithole full of desperate violent people with nothing to lose from killing you for your pocket change. Sure there are alot nice people there too but that doesn't out weigh all the crazies.

My family had a farm for the last 50 years in zimbabwe until we were forced off the land at gunpoint by government soliders... since then I have lived and worked in Nigeria, Algeria, and Mali off and on for the last 7 years.

We had to have armed guards with us at all times and travel in armed convoys and we still had alot of coworkers get killed in Algeria and Nigeria (20-30)

I have been shot at probably 3 dozen times (have shrapnel and broken car glass still embedded in my arms and legs from an attack three years ago), stabbed twice while going to an ATM and robbed at gun point at least 10 times.

Then add in the fact that just about every country there is covered in landmines and they the most profitable job there is kidnapping westerners.

You would be a damn fool to want to retire there.

5. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Do you know what you are talking about?

6. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Sucks to be a white guy, huh?

7. genericusername

genericusername Member

I have never lived in africa and I dont think I ever want to.

8. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

Zimbabwe use to produce alot of wheat and was the bread basket of Africa until the government took all the land from the farmers and gave it to the locals who don't know how to to grow anything but dirt and rocks

Our old farm like much of Zimbabwe hasn't produced a single wheat plant ever since. Hence why it is cheaper to wipe your ass with 100,000 zimbabwe dollar bills then it is to buy a roll of toilet paper.

9. texas.grok

texas.grok Member

I'm currently living in Egypt and have been here for 3 years. I love it here and also plan on retiring in Africa, perhaps in Egypt. Right now the political situation is unstable, hard to tell how it will go. But I'm into a long term job here so I'll be around for awhile.

Outside of Egypt, I have worked in Nigeria and Angola. I actually enjoyed Nigeria but it depends on where you are located. Eket was so quite it was boring. I enjoyed Port Harcourt but there were areas that you avoided. Lagos is a shit hole. Warri was boring with periods of excitement and clashes in the area. We moved little in Warri without a shitload of security people with us.

As to Angola, I spent most of my time offshore so I'm far from an expert there.

Since I'm stuck in the job longterm, I'm planning on seeing other areas of Africa, perhaps South Sudan and Kenya this year.

10. mamapajero

mamapajero Banned

Which school is this.......am quite familiar with kenyan territories
    I have been to Botswana but i lived in Molepolole.....its a lovely country but i hated the xenophobic nature of its locals plus its has extreme temperatures....either extremely hot or extremely cold

11. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Grain, Zimbabwe is a complete fuck up.

SA's getting there, at the moment it's just a fuck up, but cos the ANC's a bunch of greedy monkies they're actually alienating themselves from the majority who put them in power.. they're not gonna last long, some form of sense is leaking into the south.

5-10 years this place is gonna start swinging round for the better.

12. Sprinklepop

Sprinklepop Guest

I live in south Africa, And its really not bad.

13. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Yes it is, you're just used to it.