Where Does Vitamin B-12 Come From?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Jimbee68, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have to tell you, I am a vegan in my heart of hearts. Maybe someday, if I win the lottery, I may even become one in practice. Presently though, it is a little too inconvenient. For one thing, I live on a fixed income. And being veggie is rather expensive. Sorry, but it's true.

Anyways, that isn't what this thread is about. It is about Vitamin B-12. When you are a vegan, you don't get any. Because it is only found in meats. So if you want to be a healthy vegan, you have to take the supplements. Don't blame me. And ask your doctor, if you don't believe me.

It actually makes me wonder how people dealt with this fact before it was known. I know Leonardo Da Vinci was reportedly a vegetarian. But that was certainly long before this fact was known, or vitamins had even been discovered. He did live to a ripe old age, I think. So maybe it isn't deadly, as such. But your body definitely needs B-12 in any event. You can be sure of that.

And that actually is what this thread is about: Where on earth do they get B-12, in those health food store supplements? Does it come from animal sources? That is an interesting point, because vegan would be morally opposed to it, if this was true.

Does anyone know where B-12 comes from. As I said, many people would probably want to know--including me. I might go vegan some day, after all.

:chef:[​IMG]

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

3. drumminmama

4. pattymary

pattymary Member

Vitamin B12 does not come from an animal, it is produced by a bacteria that is in the earth from cobalt, the animals are getting it by grazing, like the cow, or some big monkeys by eating their excrements..
    Vitamin B12 was present in the water and the environment long time ago, before the modern world, men used to absorb it by these means, some people that are keeping an organic garden may even absorb it by the earth they touch, as some jains are saying, the jains are some religious people in India that are vegan..
    Nowadays the industry is giving to the animals some supplements , so that the meat can have vitamin B12 when people eat it..
    This is a very difficult topic..
    Aloe Vera has some vitamin B12 in it, but in what proportion, I don t know..
    First of all, vitamin B12 is a product of Mother Earth!!
    I am also very concerned by this, I am looking for the truth..
    I hope this post can help a little..

1 person likes this.
  5. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

come on, man - breakfast cereals, milk, yogurt, cheese etc - why don't you just google B-12 - originally it came from Betelgeuse and was brought here by comets - people collected it in the fields, on dewy nights

1 person likes this.
  6. drumminmama

You are obviously confusing it with R 12 from Rigel 12.

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

it comes from 5 hour energy and similar knock off brand drinks

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Uranus

9. Scratched

Scratched Members

Vitamin pills.

10. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Ah - you may well be right