What's the Ultimate Salad? or is there one?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

A non-vegetarian favorite of mine is salade niçoise (it contains hard boiled egg, anchovy fillets, and tuna). I only mention it here because it can be easily tweaked to a vegetarian or vegan preference. It's referred to as a salade composée (composed salad) which differs from a tossed salad. The salade composée is arranged on a flat plate.
    Tabouli is one of my signature dishes. I make mine from a recipe I got in Laurel's Kitchen. Her recipe has white beans in it (something the Middle Easterners have never heard of). Her recipe is also not overpowered by the massive amount of parsley that is usually present in many recipes.
    Recently I've discovered an Israeli salad that I thought was just tomatoes and cucumbers. As I researched it more, I noticed that it also had sweet peppers and and onions and that everything is diced and tossed with oil and vinegar. It's even eaten for breakfast.
    I'm in a weight loss mode right now. I have about 6-9 months more to go 'til I reach my goal. So, for now, salads are a main course dish with me. Since I'm eating less food, I've opted to buy a higher quality of produce (only organic and only enough to store for 2-3 days). The only exception to this 'rule' is boiled vegetables that are incorporated into my bean and vegetable broth. I usually keep enough soup in the fridge to tide me over for the week.
    Are there any other salads or salad additions that you like? Do feel free to share!

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm a fan of greek salads. Good quality lettuce (none of that iceberg junk), olives, onions, tomatoes, banana peppers, feta. Then the oh so delicious greek dressing

When i make a salad at home i usually do kale, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, way too much parmesan cheese, and olive oil and apple cider vinegar. And salt n pepa

S s s s s s s s alt and pepa here and we're in effect

scratcho likes this.
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

LOL I love it.

I like a good caprese salad but the ingredients have to fresh, right out the ground, with real, true, buffalo mozzarella. The fresh ingredients really pushes it to another level.

And I like to push it. Push it real good.

4. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I like the strawberry summer salads..strawberry,spinach, feta, I think..walnuts, cranberries,vinagerette...
    If I create something of my own, I use kale,spinach, artichoke,lots of olives, cherry or grape tomatoes,and oil and vinegar..

Moonglow181 likes this.
  5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You just made me hungry...Both of those salads sound too good....and my appetite is coming back....!

but I cannot have feta right now.....no dairy.....:disrelieved:

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know about ultimate, but I like to mix tomato, cucumber and onions with flavored Rice vinegar, pepper and garlic salt. Maybe there's a name for it.

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I think it's just called cucumber salad. I like that too, but I use red wine vinegar and regular salt.

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Cucmber, onion, tomato, feta, avocado, and chickpeas.

Also, watermelon, feta, and basil with balsamic glaze.

9. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Raw spinach, hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon, avocado and some grilled chicken on top. With a warm mustard/vinegar dressing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  10. RainyDayHype

Actually better without the cheese,not even sure that is the particular kind in a strawberry salad..just skip the cheese.

11. RainyDayHype

Ah adding avocado is always good!

Moonglow181 likes this.
  12. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Cucumber, spring onion, red pepper + mayonaise.....BOOM!!!

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

:D

14. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Israeli salad - Wikipedia
    סָלָט יְרָקוֹת יִשְׂרְאֵלִי

Goldbach's Conjecture likes this.
  15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Alrighty then--thanks.

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my favourite is casar salad with chopped roasted chicken added

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Do you cook the kale shortly?

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No and I actually never realized raw kale wasnt good for you until you mentioned it in another thread

So i researched it after you mentioned it and from what i read, its only bad if you eat it raw on a regular basis. I only eat it raw like once every couple of months and that isnt enough to hurt you

19. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

If it has bacon in it then it' a salad I want.

20. quark

quark Parts Unknown

One that has been freshly tossed. By a hot blonde. Naked. I'm talking about sex.