What Year Would You Like To Be Teleported To And Why?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jimbee68, Jan 21, 2015.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a couple hundred years in the future ought to be far enough for the ecopocalypse to have long since come and gone.
    although if humanity completely destroys itself, i'd probably have to skip ahead another couple of millions for furry sapiens to have evolved.
    probably. but there may be a couple of ways in which it might happen to not take that long.
    more likely, i would expect to see small bands of humans (or evolved post humans) roaming a less densely populated earth,
    each group having its own unique cultural values, and surrounded by a healthy natural environment,
    though health and certainly accident risks might remain among the ruins.

2. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I've read that it may be possible to travel forward in time, but not backward. There are some times in history that I would love to see, but all things considered, I'd like to be transported to maybe 200 years ahead. Maybe it'll be a dystopian society. I'd almost prefer that over the bullshit happening in the world right now. We need a reset.

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

600AD. about 100 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire. 90% of the forests of Europe grew back. It's seems like a mysterious time when people didn't have to work so hard supporting an empire.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

about a hundred years from now, give or take a decade or so, when nothing descended from human d.n.a. looks human, and not everything sapient is,
    and the planet's total sapient population numbers no longer in the billions but no more the a million at most, or even less then that.

living in widely scattered villages of less then a couple of hundred each, but with free and unlimited access to the ruins, and no building codes.

when no one can afford to hate logic and expect to survive doing so.

not enough people to produce enough oil, coal or uranium for these to be practical, nor pave roads.
    but some very small form factor forms of mechanical transportation might be.

i would not and do not call a large reduction in human population distopian, any more then i would call a culture that didn't hate logic utopian.
    (the "topian" suffix suggest something beyond humanly attainable, which neither are)
    if, as is likely, famine and disease were to be the factor reducing population, that would be a painful time i would be glad to not live,
    but after that decade or so is over, that could and will likely be a very good and wonderful world.

and if we avoid most of that suffering by lowering our human birthrate drastically now, that of course, would be even a whole lot better.
    but we need to do this in a totally non-discriminatory manor, if we're going to do it at all.
    those drastically smaller populations, are going to need all the diversity they can get.

population, transportation and energy are the big three, with deforestation being the fourth, but largely a result of the first three.

and what if eco-pocalypse as i foresee it doesn't happen? a swarm of locus can only get so large, before its consumption condems itself.
    so there really isn't a way, short of drastic birthrate reduction, for it to not eventually happen.

but the climate change thing is real, and will almost inevitably accelerate the process.

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'd go a few weeks forward to get the lottery numbers, and...well, do I really need to explain why?

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

if you don't get to come back with those numbers, then yes, you probably need to provide an explanation.

1 person likes this.
  7. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

Teleportation, like in Star Trek and Tron would destroy you and make a copy.

8. Toasted Oats

Toasted Oats Members

Any year where toilet paper usage is taken for granted.

9. 1980 to witness what my upbringing was like.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the year after the coming ecopocalyptic plagues have ended. when the pointy ear'd fluffy tail'd meek, have inherited the earth.

11. Holly1272

Holly1272 Members

Time travelling into the future is possible, yeah, and it's amazing and scary. Time travelling backwards isn't, which breaks my heart. I'd want to go back before cell phones, wifi, political correctness and back to a time when the family unit was priority in people's lives.

ncbumpkin and Lily The Pink like this.
  12. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I can do that Holly darlin' - its called memory !!!

Holly1272 likes this.
  13. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

September 1994. None of your business why.

14. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

I was only 23! Me? Either to 1986 for the music and fix the mistakes I made in high school...or 1989. I was 18 and heading to DC for my first time ever. It would also be nice to see my grandparents again. Sigh! :(

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

If we're being teleported to this year, it would be in our current bodies, right? I don't want to be 8.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It would have to be "Pick a year" and "Pick an age you want to be"... Other wise I'll just stay here.

17. Nudist4u

Nudist4u Banned

1964. Rural , mid south ; USA.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

have you done this?

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would absolutely have to add "place", because even just our earth is not, even now, culturally homoginous, and going back anything more then a hundred years, it was a hell of a lot less so.

given a t.a.r.d.i.s. (i don't likely imagine myself steeling one) well they do also move in space and not just time. and even if i were confined to my home planet, well that wouldn't be this earth,
    and if i had its history and geography in hard print sitting in front of me, and i could name times and places, well i don't imagine they'd mean much to anyone on this one.

if i were going to be stuck in a city, i'd want it to be one with good inexpensive model train and computer stores.
    i think a depopulate post ecopocalyptic world would suit me better though, at least if i were still young enough to explore it.

age yes, i'd probably, depending on the local culture, want to be somewhere between 12 and 32.
    i always wondered why the age of 30 was considered prime. compared to 70 i guess it is.

any place densely forested and mountainous, where people aren't shooting at each other, or inventing religious, ideological or political excuses for hate, would be as good as another.
    i'd definately want trains though, if that were possible, and cats, just wouldn't do for there not be cats. they wouldn't have to be friendly as long as they didn't think i tasted good, but trains and cats would be a major bonus.

any time after agriculture and war were invented, but before railroads were, just wouldn't really interest me as much.
    i mean i love some of the ancient architecture, but i don't think i'd really want to run into people who were living there.

20. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2015 when Obama was President and before all the poison and hate was injected into our nation.

ncbumpkin likes this.