What Was The First Song You Ever Played

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by volunteer_tommy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ChasM23

ChasM23 Member

The very first song that I learned on my very first guitar was "Rumble", by link Wray and the Wraymen; second was "Ghost Riders in the Sky", as performed by The Ramrods, in 1961.

2. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

Stand By Me was my first song if I remember correctly... I tried playing All Along the Watch Tower early on as a kid and then I switched over to Stand By Me ha ha

papa-bear likes this.
  3. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

House of the Rising Sun

papa-bear likes this.
  4. YungSAVi

YungSAVi Rapper

Haha, I couldn't remember even if i tried!
    I have played so many songs in the past, but i loved drake - for my town

5. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

Dad gave me his Washburn that he learned on, taught me something in the way but Nirvana- unplugged version

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Come As You Are

Took about five seconds to learn.

7. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

Come as you are was my second song- I despise that song too- hahaha love nirvana, hate the song, then the intro to heart shaped box.

McFuddy likes this.
  8. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

Yes- I have a passion for music that I can not explain, - same deal here brother
    Music has been the rock that got me through life- it was also the cause for some of my hard times- well, the lifestyle that accompanied :)

If we don’t do anything stupid when we are young, then we have nothing to smile about when we are old!

9. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

First song ever?

10. Pepper!

Pepper! Members

...technically my first song ever was played on the cello and it was Mississippi Hot Dog... this was born out of necessity...our music teacher had a concert in a week and was in desperate need of a cellist... I was able to leave class and learn 4 other songs in time for the concert.... only remember the name of the first one... never played the cello again...

...later went on to play the drums, guitar and bass... first song on each....drums ‘Walk this Way’...guitar “Crazy Train”.. bass “Taking Care of Business”

11. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

The House of the Rising Sun on my first guitar

12. Hubbub

Hubbub Newbie

Back in the 70s I had 'Red Rose Speedway' by Paul McCartney & Wings. I always loved the guitar and decided to learn how to play. I wasn't interested in lessons so I bought the book of sheet music for the album. The music showed the pictures of the chords. I kind of knew a few chords ... G,C, D so when I saw the sheet music for 'Only One More Kiss' I decided that was a good starting point. The biggest challenge was Bm, but with lots of practice I eventually got it down. I remember like it was yesterday. :)

13. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Can't do Bm anymore; not on the guitar--arthritis--but I love the album.
    I guess it'll be a rest home for me when I can't do the OTHER kind of bm anymore, but I'll bring my guitar!
    First song I remember playing was House Of The Rising Sun.
    I still have the guitar

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

"Coulter's Candy."
    I lived for a time down the road of a former Pipe Major of the RCAF. He'd give me lessons for $5. He'd usually charge $10, but I sucked too much to absorb $10 worth of tuition....maybe when I got better. He never charged me more than $5 a lesson. Best five bucks I've ever spent.
    My partner was a piper, too (and another of his students); we used to sit on the tailboard of our ambulance between calls with practice chanters.
    When he died, they invited anyone who'd ever taken lessons from him to his memorial. We fielded about 250 pipers that day.

120425-F-RK424-001.jpg

Attached Files:

MidtownMind likes this.
  15. konk500

konk500 Guest

For those of you who learned House of the Rising Sun as your first song, you may or may not be aware that Animals guitarist Hilton Valentine, the guy that played those iconic arpeggios on a Gretsch Tennessean in 1964, passed away on January 29th. I suggest we all do run through of House in his honor. It's the least we can do for a guy that helped so many of us learn to play guitar.

House wasn't my first song, but it was probably my second!

Witoutit likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I learned the intro to "Come As You Are" pretty early on (guitar). That and the easy part of "Nothing Else Matters". And the "Sunday Bloody Sunday" arpeggio part.

17. I was 16, had a Sears Silvertone amp and a new Conrad hollow body electric and learned Johnny B. Goode

18. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Members

Free - Alright Now still dig that song and Free in general

Witoutit likes this.
  19. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

American Pie on the piano

20. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I played the trumpet in school, when I was a kid. But I left that behind a long time ago.

I started playing the drums at age 12- and the first song I can remember getting down was When the Levee Breaks, by Led Zeppelin. I was so proud of myself, haha.

I decided I wanted to learn the acoustic guitar when I was in my late 30s. And the first song I got down on that front (along with singing it) was Polly, by Gene Clark. The version, or arrangement, that I learned of that song, though, was from Chris and Rich Robinson’s Brothers of a Feather live album, recorded in 2006.