What Was The First Song You Ever Played

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by volunteer_tommy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. storch

storch banned

Actually, the first song I learned was "Greensleeves." I didn't want to admit it because who wants to be associated with a song about some guy with a really bad cold and no handkerchief?

2. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

On an old silver tone hollow body electric guitar, early sixties I learned to play House of the Rising Sun, I was about 12 years old at the time. Still picking and grinning though, music has gotten me through some hard times. :)

papa-bear likes this.
  3. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Secret Agent Man, god we sucked.

4. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

First song I ever played... god, it's been so long ago! I want to say it was my own version of Mountains of the Moon by the Dead? Not the whole song though. I didn't know how to play real chords until after 8 years of playing! It was a mix of rhythm and solo riffs. I think my very first song was... Nirvana, Come as you Are?

5. mick the whip

mick the whip Members

on the guitar and it had to be .....smoke on the water on one string lol

6. tonydoe420

tonydoe420 Banned

extreme more than words

1 person likes this.
  7. SnakeOilWilly

SnakeOilWilly Members

On guitar smoke on the water.

On ukulele The intro to Stairway to Heaven But as for a song start to finish it would be purple haze. Yes. Purple haze on ukulele.

8. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

The intro to Day tripper by the beatles on an old Avon Les Paul copy with a 3/4 inch action at the 12th fret
    Happy days Lol

1 person likes this.
  9. mtnviewgirl

mtnviewgirl Members

"Down on the Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival on bass. :)
    Then "Sliver" by Nirvana.
    Still working on some more good stuff!

10. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Shoulda tried playing slide guitar on something like that - been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN! [​IMG]

11. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Riding on the city of New Orleans--pawnshop guitar. Had a fg who was 26 and had an MS from Berkley in music education. she taught me piano/guitar and vocals when I was 16. I'e been hooked ever since

12. briezie13

briezie13 Members

The first song I taught myself was the same one that inspired me to play in the first place. Roundabout, by Yes.

13. jean-michelle

jean-michelle Members

If you mean literally - get first instrument and then learn something, well for me this was the melody to the kids' programme 'Skippy'. My brother came back from his first Spanish holiday in 1968, bringing back a superb small travelling style Fender acoustic, which he let me borrow whenever I fancied a go. I was 9 and couldn't play a single chord of course, I didn't even know what a chord was, what it meant, or anything, but I soon realised I had a gift for picking out melodies on the guitar, so Skippy it was. If you mean something more than that, then, many years later, after painstakingly learning to play folk style, and with nerves totally wracked (what the hell is 'wracked' anyway?) I got up on an open mic night ran by the just-about extant Liverpool Spinners, and sang 'The Skipper's Lament'. It went down well, and so did the beer straight afterwards. This was in Liverpool city centre (UK) in 1983.

14. Scratched

Scratched Members

Not sure, thinking it was Smoke On The Water, or Iron Man.

Then an older friend (16, I was 13 @ the time) taught me how to play Victim of Changes by Judas Priest.
    and a couple of older Scorpions songs.

papa-bear likes this.
  15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I took guitar lessons a few years back. Seeing as it was near Christmas my instructor had me playing Silent Night on my Alvarez acoustic.

16. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

On the drums it was "Wipe Out." That old surfer song from way back. As a kid, if you were a drummer (I began when I was about 10-11) the first thing one of your friends asked was "So...can you play Wipe Out?") LOL. It was like a rite of passage.

So I played drums and vibes and djembes and bongos (percusssion) for many years and then about fdive years ago took-up the alto sax. The first song I played on that was "Twinkle Twinkly little Star."

I know, I know. Lame-o. But my teacher made me do it!

Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  17. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I am amazed that two people here who play guitar and chose a Zep song as their first to play did not play the ubiquitous intro to "Stairway." LOL

So popular and even over-used is that intro bit, that there was a parody movie a while back and it had a seen in a music shop and there was a sign on the wall over in the guitar section that said, "NO STAIRWAY!"

cheers.

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

wipe out

drums

1 person likes this.
  19. storch

storch banned

Dust in the Wind.

20. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

my dad taught me electric funeral by black sabbath.

papa-bear likes this.