What to look for in a friend?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Irminsul, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What do you look for in a person for friendship?

I seem to have many friends, yet they're friends I can only do certain things with. Like my pool buddies play pool, but we aren't into the same things outside of that. Same with my iRacing friendships although we are actually better suited to do other things.

I miss having a one good friend I could do anything with. It's been so long, since moving back to Germany actually that I had a friend in Australia I would do anything with. And I miss that.

So I've been searching for a good friend lately and have decided to try searching on the internet with a little bit of luck too I've bonded with somebody I hope can be this partner in mischief.

mysticblu21 and Asmodean like this.
  2. MusicTaste

MusicTaste Members

Personality for me is key

mysticblu21, scratcho and Irminsul like this.
  3. MusicTaste

MusicTaste Members

I'm open to online friendship if you want

4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Never been good at makin' friends. Most times I just let it flow & see if harmonization occurs.

We're already hip Irmie.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I know you are, but this is IRL friendship I'm searching for. Online only shows me how lonely I really feel.

Guy Stroking likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I have no idea...

mysticblu21 likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I know personality is key because I need someone I can click with, which has never really been many females.

8. MusicTaste

MusicTaste Members

I'd like the same, if you have playstation then you can add me and I'll get you in touch with you Bavaria people I know from PlayStation

9. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I look for someone who always agrees with me and never tells me when I’m wrong.

Lol nooo

Just the opposite. I have quite a few friends but if I had to put them in categories, there are those who are fun and light - not really close friends. And others who I’ve grown to love.

mysticblu21, eggsprog and Irminsul like this.
  10. MusicTaste

MusicTaste Members

I'm friends with a couple from Bavaria in Germany and we joke all the time

11. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Common interests, a sense of humor, good conversationalist, intelligence, loyalty, someone willing to overlook your imperfections, willingness to help others, and accept help when they need it

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

All that ^^ too.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah this is pretty much perfect and something I'm chasing. Like I can find this in guys, that's easy. But I miss that in a female friend.
    Now, I have recently struck friendship with a girl but she lives over in the next country but isn't afraid to drive the few hours to see me either, as I realised over Xmas which I thought was really cool. I would also use this as an excuse to go to Poland more often too. Everything seems alright, we pretty much chatted for a few months before we decided to meet.

She has some life ideals that I'm growing into which I guess attracts me to her a lot, if I could learn from someone that would be good too. She's a little bit younger than me, but not by too many years so I don't think age will make a difference. We appear to have similar music taste for certain genres. I know it's near impossible to find anybody that likes my music taste so it'll never be 100% but she bangs her head to the death metal and that'll do for me. :)

I guess she also reminds me of my one close friend I had those years ago, being blonde and all. I classify her as a Nordic Pole. She got into that, that's why I'm hoping it works with her because most people I meet aren't into heritage and things but she was, that's how we first clicked when we converse topics.

I wouldn't say she's "country" but she's similar in a way that she lives outside town in a smaller village, she likes nature and the wilderness, but like from a city person's perspective so the fact I can take her horse riding really appealed to her and me.

Then I guess it comes down to does she get along with my wife. Well the answer there was yes, we all got on well with each other. Actually she seemed so blahzay about things similar to me I just kind of knew and felt she might be the friend I'd needed in a long time. She's a bit wild and I like that.

And then there's my feelings and attachments and the worry of being hurt, because I tend to really let my heart go when I meet someone I like which just opens the door for me to get hurt, which happened more time than I want to admit.

mysticblu21 and bft4evr like this.
  14. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

^^^ Irm - I hope it works out for all of you!

Irminsul likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I feel kind of hopeless and sad that I'm 31 and trying to find a friend, I just know a few couples that met online and I always liked the appeal of getting to know somebody before you meet them because of you can get along with words then well it's got to be better in real life. Which it was, despite a very language barriers, but that really only made us laugh together.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But then what I also found interesting, was the complete opposite differences we had too, that we enjoyed about each other.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm kinda picky about friends, not that I mean to be but its hard to feel comfortable with a lot of females (i'm only gonna talk about female friendships here, guys are a bit easier)

I like spirited women with a good sense of humor and sense of adventure. Open. Non judgemental. No bitchiness or cattiness and I dont like women who make a big drama out of every little thing.
    Intelligence is a big one. I'm kinda like a man in my friendships in that I would rather do things rather than just sit around and gossip, but when I do conversate I want it to be intelligent and meaningful.

Music has always been a big bonding factor for me, I dont have to have a ton of commom interests with someone but I like having similiar taste in music
    And I like tomboys who like to be outside and appreciate nature.
    Basically if we can go have an adventure in the woods and have a dance party in the car to our favorite jams on the way there, our friendship will be solidified forever.
    And i'll always feel most comfortable around people who are a little offbeat and strange

I need a new friend too. I've drifted away from my closest girlfriends the past few years and I feel it. There's a big sad gap in my life for it

Irminsul likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's exactly how I'm feeling. A big sad gap.
    I think the one female on my pool team she's alright but way too loud and out there for me to really gel with. Plus she's super competitive because I think we both know I'm a better player than her, even if my results won't show it. :p but she's full had a tantrum once when she couldn't beat me and gave up. I pretty much gave up on her after that too.

And don't get me wrong all the guy friends are cool and all and I always have more in common with them.. I was particularly picking out couples as friends too as for a while it seemed we needed couples friends, which we have now.

I don't know. Wahh :sob::sob:

Meliai likes this.
  19. Friendship seems all about hating the same things. I don't look for anything in friendship. If you get lucky, when you're old you can look back and say, "That was a true friend." But in the interim I'm not saying, "This is a true friend" about anyone, because all of the people I have ever thought were true friends were really nothing of the sort.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

To be honest sounds like you are just hung up on this chic

Thats why you are "lonely" at the moment.

People use the word lonely for many things, everbody that hears you say it just assumes lonely in a lack of friends kind of way, when you are really talking about luuuuuuuv and hormones.

You luuuuuv her........and since youve never said anything about her persuasion, Im going to assume shes never played softball in her life....ifyaknowwaddda-i-mean

Big big crush on a straight girl