What song inspired you to learn music?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by papa-bear, Nov 12, 2018.

1. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

I was just reading another topic in here and it brought back some memory’s of when I first allowed music to grab me-

I was 14 years old watching a Nirvana video tape (I loved nirvan back then)
    I was watching Kurt contain play aneurysm (my fav song back then) and it hit me that I could do that. I remember being so excited at the realization I called my father who had been a musician for years, and told him I wanted to learn. Soon after, I had my first love. Her name is Jessica and she is a Washburn D-15 acoustic. There have been many more lives, but Jessica has my heart-
    I still have her. Please share your memories, music is such a big part of my everyday life, I would love to hear all of your inspirations!

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I wanted to be a rock star

papa-bear likes this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Like Kurt

4. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

I was so into nirvana as a youngn , I still listen to them on occasion, but not like I did.
    Went from nirvana to Sabbath, jethro till, Pink Floyd.... etc not sure what made the turn.

Today I vary very broadly, a good song is a good song no mater what the genre or bad.

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I smashed three acoustic guitars before I learned to tune the damn thing.

McFuddy likes this.
  6. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

lmao, your suppose to tune it before you smash it-

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sometimes Karma comes in reverse

8. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

But physics never do

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

The guy in the guitar shop was not too pleased.

Wobblybobbly56 likes this.
  10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Seriously, I was taken with Brian May's guitar solo in Queen's "It's A Kind of Magic." I taped the song off the radio and played it over and over.

papa-bear likes this.
  11. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

Great song!

12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Then I thought I could play jazz. Because no one knows what the Hell you're doing with that stuff.

13. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

You like jazz?

14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

A little. Used to go and see live jazz in pubs in East London. Mostly a Sunday afternoon thing.

papa-bear and McFuddy like this.
  15. Wobblybobbly56

Wobblybobbly56 Members

I had a failed attempt at learning guitar, as a boy, during the glam rock era, so I’d be about 10. It was the bands around at that time that were the inspiration, I suppose. Didn’t work out, anyway. Didn’t have the patience to work at it.
    Then when I was about 18, I’d been writing lyrics and wanted to learn to play, to turn my own lyrics into songs.
    As it happened, an older guy I knew wanted to get back into playing, and while he was relearning, he taught me some stuff..

papa-bear likes this.
  16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

This work inspired me to learn the piano.
    My music teacher was not happy about me giving up the violin. He told me that the piano was a cross between a percussion instrument and a record player, where you just press a button and the music comes out.

17. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

Everlast "What it's Like"

18. candys

candys Visitor

I'm fond of electronic music and Skrillex, Hardwell and David Guetta inspire me a lot! I even started learning how to make my own music on https://bluebuzzmusic.com. I check all tutorials, blogs and youtube channels about music production. Want to build a budget music studio in my house one day. That's my old dream.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2019
  19. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

You should have asked him why he is teaching music instead of just sitting down at a piano and pressing a button to be the next Elton John.

20. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I actually don't remember a particular song making me want to play. But I do remember when I was in preschool or kindergarden in Chicago, we used to have this hippy looking guy named Steve who would come every Wednesday afternoon. He would sing and play songs for us on his acoustic guitar. It was my favorite time of the week and he was my favorite person that I associated with school. I always looked forward to his visits and it was around that time that I decided that I wanted to play.

Lynnbrown likes this.