What Puts YOU in a Meditative State?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by monkeywisdom, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

nature...the ocean....listening to the waves kiss the shore........

2. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Being in nature. I love going to the mountains to breathe the air in deeply and meditate. Sex can also cause a wonderful meditative trance state.

Piobaire and Chodpa like this.
  3. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

I like chanting
    I consider myself lucky that I can chant to whatever deity I like in private
    now unlike ever before when the church was about spying, or the state
    such freedom and all sorts of flavor of deities to practice, to whom do I wish to qualify

just being poetic, if meaningless,

actually playing loud music and driving fast but not recklessly is a great device for centering me

I am wondering though what you mean by meditation
    because as I always am saying there are many forms and goals

now I went back and read the original question, and trance out
    pretty much sdrnr

definitely a couple stiff drinks and loud music trances me out better than anything
    that's not meditation though, specifically though if you're a tantrik

1 person likes this.
  4. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Any kind ofmindful activity, especiallyin a beautiful setting. Creative activity also workswell.

5. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

light

6. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

Closing my eyes, opening chakras, finding balance in them, and closing them again...

Imagining a great peaceful place to be, like a beach, a forest, on a boat...

Walking a labyrinth...

Listening to music....

Drumming....

7. ravi25

ravi25 Guest

Being in the midst of beautiful nature. Seeing highly symmetrical flowers or plants. Watching the stars at night. Solitude and silence.

8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Certain chemical agents are good.

Ambient electronic music is very good.

9. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

What keeps you from it?

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Music seems to help a lot.

11. beyondtheastral

beyondtheastral Member

I have this story many times I used to say the same thing :) We are our own worst enemies and sometimes the people who say they can’t meditate turn out to be really good at it.

Here are a few suggestions for you to try – apologies if they are really obvious!
    The mind will never stop –we are not aware of our thought before they arrive so we can’t control them. The best you can do is set up the environment to be as still as possible (energetically)
    First choose an optimum time to meditate –not after a meal, not when you’re tired or directly after intense mental/emotional activity.

Ensure your physical body is relaxed – otherwise this can impact what come into the mind. You can probably find your own routine may be a little stretching a couple of yoga poses - 5 minutes can really be beneficial.
    As for sitting down you need to be comfortable – however be careful about sitting on something to soft as it will compress while meditating and will put you in a bad posture.
    Here are some tips – try them out and ask people who meditate for hours every day.
    I place a comforter on the floor(against a wall) - as over time it can become painful on the ankle bones
    Roll up a blanket and put a pillow on top for comfort
    When you sit on it your pelvis should be raised up – if your knees cannot touch the floor you might want to put a cushion under each one as it will get painful if you don’t.
    You might need a pillow in your lower back – to stop you from slouching forward.

As for meditating use the breath to start – it help to slow thing down and provide harmony, when I meditate for many hours on Light and sound energy I keep going back to the breath if the mind gets too disruptive.

Good luck!

12. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Newbie

Anyone who practices a meditation technique, thinks they are meditating or they are in a meditative state. This is all an illusion. There is only one way to reach a state of meditation, you must confront and transform a limitation within yourself, this can be done in many ways, it can be done with a meditation technique, it can be done with a therapy, exercise many different ways, but you must go through the limitation that you're challenging.

DrRainbow likes this.
  13. Bud D

Bud D Member

I like to meditate the most in the dark in bed, that's when I experience magic the most. I like the intoxication of the dark. It doesn't always do a whole lot of good. Sometimes frustration fires burn too deeply.

Drugs really used to trance me but I don't fuck around with the unsustainable anymore. It's illogical to use illegal drugs because the standards in prison are not at all ideal.

Swimming several miles has also been a power source for me in the past. Something about water is about as comforting as anything. It's like flying or space. Very calming after a good long swim.

14. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

15. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

Practicing mindfulness and yoga.

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

17. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Booze actually makes one more unconscious than aware.

The test of meditation is peace, bliss, clarity of mind and non-reactivity. Boozing dudes seems to be the most reactive people I know. I know of a film producer who shot dead his family under the influence of booze and heavy drinking.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The olympics.

19. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i have a penchant for shakta kundalini mantras of the hindu tantras but i like some of the tibetan buddhist mantras too like for ratnadakini, kurukulle, and white tara

20. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Running outdoors, shadowboxing, martial arts, solitude, being alone in the dark.