what is a TV?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by chrizt1an, Nov 24, 2010.

1. chrizt1an

chrizt1an Member

Is it a tool to teach ANYTHING to almost anybody?
    Because I can tell you how much people I met in my short life who act and do and buy anything they watch.

Take control of YOUR MIND.

2. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

agreed. that's why my boyfriend and I refuse to watch any form of telivision such as cable... any media we need we can get on the internet.
    TVs = Telescreens

3. chrizt1an

chrizt1an Member

O agree I sat down today with my gf and she was watching mtv. I should of just walked away next thing I know I was watching jersey shore SERIOUSLY! Do I need to get on this for nothing show?

4. Nostromo

Nostromo Member

Jersey Shore? My god, I'd have to be really, really sick to watch that show. Thankfully I'm not that sick atm.

That said, I know plenty of people that can watch tv and not do and buy anything they watch (me included). I guess maybe you are saying is you know a lot of weak-minded people? Or something else?

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Bored to Death, The Walking Dead, Rubicon, King of the Hill, the Simpsons, Futurama

Bill Maher, The Daily Show, Undercover Boss, 30 Days, The Doctors, Sesame Street, Earth, Life, Through the Wormhole, Vanguard

Going back a little: Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, the Joy of Painting, the Crocodile Hunter, This Old House, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Seinfeld, MASH, Tough Crowd, the Bill Cosby Show

You do realize they come with remotes?

6. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't have the attention span for most shows...

7. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

Rage Against The Machine said it best:

"no escape from the mass mind rape"

8. Reno91

Reno91 Member

smash! smash! smash ya TV!

9. High Plaines Drifter

High Plaines Drifter Member

I've actually learned a lot of shit from the History Channel, Discovery, Science Channel, and Nat Geo. Sure some of it's a little irrelevant but knowledge is knowledge. And shows like It's Always Sunny, South Park and small doses of Family Guy and just funny and downright enjoyable to watch.

10. BladeOfGrass

BladeOfGrass Guest

Having lived in the forest with no TV i can tell you it (TV ) is not needed and a habit. It is almost entirely run by wealthy executives who do not care at all about the content. Even PBS is catering to the world news pop cycle. Throw that demon TV away and create some real space and time for doing some living. :)

11. chrizt1an

chrizt1an Member

Jersey shore is a waste of everything time and space that it uses on mtv the fact its that pople watch so it sells wich that's all mtv really cares about.

My point that not all people actually act or buy everything they see but they are influence by what they see wich is the same. ( not saying you or the people you know) I'm talking in genereal

Even the spanish stations are full of the same shit we are full of if not worse.
    I notice this when my mother pays attention to some news that are not even to be concernt of.

So I picked up. A book
    Instead of the remote

12. Keenman

Keenman Senior Member

I love my TV's and I'm not ashamed at all.

I've got 2 HDTV's and a super nice surround sound system.

I love to relax after a long day, watch some TV and surf the net, and play with my cats. :2thumbsup:

13. slappyman

slappyman Member

I enjoy the history channel, national geographic, discovery and the like, I also enjoy watching Sunny in Philly, American Dad, there was a british show I liked, The Green Ward or Wing something like that.

My one guilty pleasure was getting a good buzz and watching wrestling, I would laugh my ass off, but I haven't done that in like 10 years, watch wrestling that is.

14. nerdsgym

nerdsgym Guest

I turned off from TV about 6 months ago. Watching something now is completely ridiculous especially cable news.

I took my friend to the ER and they had fox news on in the background and it was lol funny. They spin stories so bad that any logical person would see it that way. Then I had this thought if the same thing gets told to us we all going to derive the same opinion. To bad the major of the population believes cable news. :dizzy2:

TV kills free thought and the word programming is there for a reason.

15. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

I enjoy watching some sports, nature shows and current affairs stuff (Daily Show/Colbert). Also love Family Guy and Modern Family. There's some decent stuff on, but you have to cherry-pick through a lot of crap to find it.

16. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

I would watch more television, but I think the power of visual imagery is under looked. People just mindlessly flip through channels, having an overload of garbage being implanted into their brains. People would rather sit around watching people live for them, instead of living themselves, and media giants support this and love the fact that it brings them more money. I feel out of the loop when my friends talk about all the television shows, but I would rather not support something to closely tied to the downfall of societies livelihood.

17. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I saw that program too.

18. broony

broony Banned

I just can't stand fucking commercials!!!! I might watch some other shows but omg 40% of the shows are adds. Except for the news.......

19. slappyman

slappyman Member

But Fox has to be telling you how it really is, I mean they tell you every 30 seconds that their reporting is fair and balanced, how could they be spinning the story to their way of thinking. LOL

20. chrizt1an

chrizt1an Member

If wikileaks had a chanel then I mighr watch that box again lol.