What do you take this to mean?

Discussion in 'Taoism' started by Indy Hippy, Mar 4, 2009.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Fuzzy logic can approximate dualism, but it is much easier if you are simply raised in a dualistic culture. Western dualism is older than the Golden Age of Greece and makes it easier for the wealthy to dominate the peasantry. In Asia, where overpopulation has always been a problem, the wealthy proved incapable of suppressing the less dualistic viewpoints of the peasants nearly as effectively. Besides over population, cultures like the Chinese integrated their less dualistic worldviews into their languages and religions making them nearly impossible to suppress.

Dualism is not bad or wrong, it is merely a gross over-simplification that favors the wealthy over the peasants. It also provides an easy to make progress, by simply throwing money at a problem. Its more of a brute force approach to problem solving, but often throwing money and talent at a problem is the only way to make progress. When the west first began to dominate the world technologically the rest of the world paid attention and attempted to adopt as much dualism as they could, but the idea went against their entire culture and history and they were only partially successful. The real test of dualism will come after we acquire a theory of everything which dualistic cultures should find all that much more difficult to adopt.

2. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Now, this ...resonates. What a great reply, and you have given me much to think about. You're right, in a way. Maybe I think I'm ''free'' but are we really entirely free in the west? I mean, compared to other countries, as a woman, I feel free...but perhaps we trade different freedoms over another, depending on our cultures. Thank you for taking the time to expound on your initial reply. :)

Running Horse likes this.
  3. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Because we are. In the west we crave complexity when all we do by determining it is to create barriers of pointless truth between us & reality.

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

5. Running Horse

Not for long. Those times are passed & it is wearying to never quite be understood. Sometimes I wonder if I simply shouldn't talk at all, or type as it were

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Maybe just keep it to those who are interested in understanding? Some people are just arguementative and do not seek to learn new ideas, whether they agree with them or not.

I dunno, just a thought.

7. Running Horse

Interesting how Taoism led you to concepts such as this. It brought me to an entirely different understanding. I would say that the dualistic principles are too complex & therefore alter perception upon their own truth

8. wooleeheron

Without complexity, life is a meaningless singularity, and dualistic logics and mathematics are four times less complex than what I use. If you are not a mathematician, philosopher, or a linguist who specializes in such things, its pointless to speculate on them.

9. Running Horse

Is that so?

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Probably not.

11. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I think we are pretty diverse here in the west, but we have our flaws for sure.

12. Running Horse

Diversity is just another form of complexity

13. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

But I see it as we are diverse because we are multi-cultured from an ethnicity point of view. Many desire to move here so I don’t see it as craving complexity as much as we just are, as a result of cultural influences among the citizens here. We are not as homogenous as other countries, like say Japan. I have a friend who lives there and he says that it’s mind blowing how uniform they are in their thinking as compared to the US. That’s more of what I mean.

I like philosophy, there’s no right or wrong to it, just an exchange of thoughts and ideas.

14. Running Horse

Often the cosmic unconscious seeks complexity where the conscious cannot even knowingly comprehend

Deidre likes this.
  15. wooleeheron

You can view life as a meaningless paradox using evidence such as quantum mechanics, or you can view it as a metaphor, the story of how we give life meaning. If you are enlightened, I suppose you can see it most clearly as simultaneously both and neither.

16. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I looove this. That is good!

Move over, Aristotle...Running Horse is here. ^_^

17. Running Horse

Ironically I was just about to say that it was both though I claim no enlightenment. However it is also neither

18. Running Horse

I blush & laugh at the absurdity

19. wooleeheron

Asians say life has "suchness" or "isness" and that's a good enough description for me, but it always helps to comprehend the Big Picture of how everything works, including not least of our, the human soul.

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

OP is the zenmeister :-D