What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Read the first chapter of " Keeper of lost things " on Holiday ( Julia bought it at the airport ) Got hooked !
    Thats what I am gonna read next when she finishes it

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I love Phil Dick. Total Recall was also from a short story of his. Read a book of interviews with him, and his biography. Very funny, interesting man.

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Have you ever read Zorba the Greek?

4. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I have Danced to the Tune many times ! Lol
    If you want to know about Corfu you gorra read " My family and other animals " by Gerald Durrell

Zorba !

http://youtu.be/gFpwA33JylE

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Just finished this. Like Elaine Pagels other books, a 'must read' for anyone with an interest in the formative years of Christianity, and how recent discoveries of lost texts from the period is changing our understanding.

[​IMG]

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

You could probably save some key strokes by writing What are you reading - we're all immersed in the moving present so we know it's not a question of what we were reading in the past or what we may read in the future. There's a growing tendency to qualify things that already speak for themselves - for example, 'at this point in time' is supposed to tell readers that the point referred to is not on the floor of the Marianas Trench or on the surface of jupiter - but 'at this point' has sufficed for centuries. Why would some stoner add the totally useless appendage 'in time'

same with lag behind - not possible to lag ahead so I think I'll just lag, thanks

not saying much of this is YOUR fault lol but while I'm on the subj:)
    'different' is another bugbear - 37 different states - yeah we know they're different - why not just '37 states'

think about these tautologies and useless appendages and you'll soon find yourself saving first dozens - later hundreds of key strokes - using less paper to print - using less printing ink - straightforward lucid prose saves saves saves

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

While I admire a tight, efficient prose, I feel I must point out you probably could have saved a few keystrokes yourself there by not using multiple paragraphs worth of keystrokes to tell someone else how to save a couple of word's worth of keystrokes

And I could have saved keystrokes too by not pointing this out but I'm bored and typing really isnt that difficult.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In anticipation of power and internet outages during the storm, I picked up a book at the Dollar General. It's book two of a series so I suppose I'll try to find book one when I finish this. I never read anymore but I'm enjoying this book.

[​IMG]

10. Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman

11. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Let me know what you think of it. I started reading this a few years ago and it was pretty complex reading, and I could never finish it. Understanding how the mind works and the way we think, would have been very useful to me when I was younger.

12. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Black Hearts" - by Jim Frederick. True story about a unit from the 101st Airborne deployed to Iraq, that experienced severe duress due to a lack of leadership, which led to Soldiers making very bad decisions.

13. Will do!

14. Mister Liam

Mister Liam An Old Mister

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.

15. So far so good. I'm finding that reading a bit then thinking about it before moving on is working for me.

16. Scratched

Scratched Members

To Kill A Mockingbird, again.

My therapist told me to read it and see what character I am in real life, in the story.

He said I'm Atticus. That no matter what adversity, I stand for what's right. I'd never seen myself that way before.

Never thought a book could teach something like that...

17. DNCämþër

DNCämþër Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Tasting Beer, 2nd Edition: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink

18. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov.

1 person likes this.
  19. Just going to start Intimacy by Jean-Paul Sartre

20. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Deleuze and Guattari "Anti-Oedipus - Capitalism and Schizophrenia."