What are the main lessons that you have learned in your life?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Amethyst87F, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

I heard someone that everyone has at least one lesson that that they've learned in their life.

I think more that most people have learned several big lessons in their life.

I recently had a conversation with someone. The person told me that she believed we all specific lessons to teach in our lifetimes.

I LOVE getting advice. I'm rarely given it though. I think to ask others for advice but hardly ever do. At this time of my life, advice isn't urgent or necessary, but more of a curiosity and one way to give me more direction.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

everybody dies....

4. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

That makes me think of something said in the movie, "Beer Fest". -- One of the characters says, "We're all whores at heart".

That leads em to something I heard recently from a famous talk show host/Psychologist in America. He said that we all have currency or currencies. -- For example, it's important for me to get along with everyone. So, someone saying nice to me is like they've given me a kind of currency that I value.

Your post has me curious. -- Are you willing to discuss with me some a bit more about it?

5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

You have to be happy with yourself, before you can be happy with someone else.

And

Foregiving someone isn't to absolve them, it's so they don't rent space in your head anymore.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

"Everybody Dies"

I've heard that a lot of people are very afraid of death. I made up my mind long ago that I shouldn't worry about it because it's inevitable that it's going to happen.

In conversation, I tend to think of myself as an expert in suicide. I've attempted several times. I haven't in around 5 years though and doubt I ever will again.

One of my reasons for attempting was because I was afraid of a painful death. -- Mostly I used to think I was gonna get abducted and tortured or sold on the black market.

I mostly try not to think about death.

I sometimes think about how I'm glad that I want to be alive.

I have heard theories about life after physical death. So, maybe we don't all die, Tyrsonswood.

If you haven't already seen it, I think you may like the movie, "DonnieDarko". A very, very old side character that people think of as crazy tells the main-character, "Every Living Creature Dies Alone".

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Sure I can discuss it more with you, what part of the statement do you need unpacked?

8. storch

storch banned

I've learned that life is death in a clever disguise.

Also: Even though life is simply death in a clever disguise, never trust your nuts to a crawdad.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If you look for the ridiculous in everything you will find it.

Just a random quote I read somewhere years ago, we all read a lot of stupid, random quotes throughout our days don't we? but for some reason that one was a life changer. I started looking for the ridiculous in everything and it literally pulled me out of a depression, changed my perspective, made me stop taking life so seriously. We're suspended on a rock hanging in space and it's all pretty ridiculous when you get right down to the bottom of everything
    So why not just have a laugh and enjoy our time on this big dumb rock

scratcho and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Jesus saves

11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Never give bullies the reaction they're looking for.

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Hope He Gets A Higher Interest Rate Than I Do...... :D

Cheers Glen.

papa-bear and Driftrue like this.
  13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

time is the most valuable thing in the universe

Asmodean and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sorry Dude. Negative interest rates here.

15. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Crime does pay.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

gun free zones kill people..

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

What gave you a fear of that?

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The lesson that's been the most difficult and the one that has kept repeating, must be the most important one.

In my life, the lesson continues to be about not trusting others to be dependable. It hasn't mattered what they've said. It hasn't mattered how good their intentions have seemed.

This whole thing is going to sound so harsh and so jaded but it's my lesson. The reason still isn't clear to me.

I have found that people's words, promises, oaths cannot be depended on.

I don't think that I am guilty of having ever not done what I told another that I would do.

Okay, okay, okay...Yes, I have. I was not faithful to my first husband. That was a horrible mistake that I made. I've apologized to him and there are no hard feelings between us. I've corrected the problem. I now understand that my heart is polyamorous so a promise of monogamy would not be something I'd make again.

I had a conscience about that. I searched and searched my soul so that I understood why I let another person down after I'd said I'd do something but didn't do it.

I don't see other people caring when they do that to me. If they regard it at all it's to defend their actions or to make excuses.

Here are some popular cliche sayings that I agree with on this subject:

I don't trust words, I even question actions, but I never doubt patterns.

The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.

A person's actions will tell you everything you need to know.

Feeling this way has been painful. It's tempted me to never trust and to never love.

I see the challenge, though. The challenge is to trust people to be human and to love them in spite of it. That's a bigger kind of love than only loving people when they behave in ways that you find agreeable. It's a bigger love when you can love someone with no expectations. It's easy to love someone who is lovable, I suppose.

I'm not just talking about "romantic" relationships.

I'm talking about every freaking body that I've interacted with in life from parents, to siblings, to friends, to neighbors, to business dealings, to clergy. I gave up! I will not depend on anyone to be reliable, nor true to their word, 100% of the time.

Am I bitter about that? Yes, I still am. So, as I see it, I have a challenge. I have the rest of this life to accept people as fallible without internalizing it and letting it disappoint me too deeply.

I have to give people the room to be human - no more pedestals for anyone - and no more wanting to curse them and thinking that they are horrible for having let me down.

I will be more fair in my expectations for others. Maybe it has been something inside of me that has pushed others to promise me things. Maybe I've had a personality that has demanded it.

I still have much thinking and working to do on this lesson, but for me it is the most important lesson.

Sheesh, I give my own self a headache sometimes.

Total Darkness and katsia like this.
  19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

1. Everybody talks out of their arse, Everybody

2. Money does buy happiness

Total Darkness likes this.
  20. katsia

katsia Members

Maybe it’s not the main lesson but an important one, that people dont break your heart, it’s your unrealistic expectations of people that break your heart.