What are the Issues Being Raised by Occupy Movement?

Discussion in 'Occupy Movement' started by skip, Oct 23, 2011.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

What are the issues being raised by the Occupy Movement?

What solutions are being presented?

Here's one issue:
    Media Coverage of the Occupy Movement itself!

This video of a protest in front of Fox Studio illustrates how the MSM has either ignored or derided the movement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA4vcwhdwo"]Occupy Los Angeles, Fox Studios - Part 2 - YouTube

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Declaration of the Occupation of New York City
    Find full document here; http://occupywallst.org/forum/first-official-release-from-occupy-wall-street/

3. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Sticky the Declaration. I'd never heard anything of it until a few months ago, and trying to find the actual aim of the protest is surprisingly tricky.. all searches mostly come up with news articles or videos that show what's happening - and you'd have to watch quite a few of the videos to piece together the whole picture.
    If people could see the highlighted points I think there'll be a significant increase in the following.
    I saw Occupy Manchester's camp looking quite sorry last week, I'm not sure if it's still there but I'm hoping to be heading up there on Wednesday for a few days at least.
    [​IMG]

4. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The short list of issues would be:

- Break up the Too Big To Fail banks and institutions.
    - Raise taxes on those making over a million dollars a year.
    - Prosecute the villains who destroyed the economy.
    - Re-enact Glass-Steagall act (prevents some Wall St gambling).
    - Overthrow the Citizens United decision, perhaps thru amendment.
    - Revamp and expand the SEC.

5. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Remove corporate influence in politics is the reason I am protesting. I think that is a pretty universal demand with the protesters.

6. sunfighter

Yes, and the worst aspect of that is the unwise Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court, which declared that corporations are citizens and thus protected by Freedom of Speech from having their contributions limited.

7. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Thats it, my signs always says, end corporate personhood. Its a absolute crime that the supreme court made that ruling and it must be overturned.

8. sunfighter

Yes, but apparently the only way to do that is a constitutional amendment that somehow makes it clear that corporations are not people. That's hard to do, but I think it must be done.

9. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Yes I'm afraid its going to be very hard to do. There is no easy fix that is going to make us stop demonstrating, all the issues you addressed in your first post will have to fixed. Along with having politicians sign an oath not to receive any corporate funds or other perks for elections or personal gain. All this certainly sounds pretty impossible I know, but they must happen to make our country functional again. Otherwise we are just slaves to a corrupt corporate machine that does not work in our best interest.

10. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In New York, the Murdoch organs have presented Occupy Wall Street in a negative light. Complaints seem to be about hygene, sanitation, and petty rowdyism.

Zuccotti Park is sane and well oprganized. It is very clean and safe. New York City ought to bring out some porta-potties if they are concened about hygene.

11. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Someone donated 2 port a potties for Occupy Buffalo, and they stop in and clean them twice a week.:)

12. willedwill

willedwill Member

I think: as for Occupy Toronto, there is an ambition for the Tea Party to join and make the issue of humanly capitalized object recognition go with liberty to read new incentive for business.

13. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Here's some sad facts of American Life... The income disparity is indefensible, morally repugnant, and undemocratic because their political and economic power is far out of proportion to their numbers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15469096

14. suggestedmanifesto

suggestedmanifesto Guest

A Program for the Occupy Movement
    Dr. Jeff Eisen describes in his Omnius Manifesto how the accounting practices of companies should be changed to reflect the contribution they make to society or destruction they cause to the social sphere and ecological domain. This manifesto must go viral. (http://drjeffeisen.com/omnius-manifesto/)

In addition, the New Economy working group, associated with David Korten, has defined nine action clusters that need to be worked on. (http://neweconomyworkinggroup.org/about-us/ten-action-clusters)
    Food for thought..

15. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

The news just had a segment on society...

The young people that are trying to make their way in the world are having a much harder time finding wealth and stability than any generation before us...

The rich are remaining rich while the poor are getting poorer...

16. PrettyPetunia

PrettyPetunia Guest

I may not be as smart as you all nor articulate but one thing is for certain, I always knew our government was fucking us over. Thanks for breaking down what Occupy stands for. It really clears things up for me.

17. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I so agree! I'm not a political expert, but I totally understand and support what The Occupy Movement stands for.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Welcome aboard... invite your friends.

19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pretty Petunia and Poet Sappho, keep reading...you'll be experts in no time! I am learning so much. This movement is eye-opening!

20. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Thank you----Aerianne-----I knew this page was in here somewhere, with the Declaration of OWS----I had to go through a lot of pages to find it. Hopefully with this comment it goes back to page 1 for a little while.