Welcome to the Living on the Earth Forum

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by skip, Sep 20, 2006.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I've setup this forum in response to requests to have a place to discuss how to survive using sustainable self-sufficient methods. My friend Alicia Bay Laurel wrote a book on this subject, with the same title as this forum. She recently published a new, updated edition (the original was published in 1970).

I feel it's time many of us old hippies reviewed these techniques and share with the younger hippies our own experiences and ideas about living on the earth.

Native Americans are now spreading the word that we must come together and get ready for the massive changes that are about to occur on this planet. They believe their prophecies are coming true - NOW!

They say those who will survive the coming changes are those who are prepared mentally and have the skills to survive in a world radically different from the one we've been living in.

Many Natives have not lost their respect and knowledge about the Earth and are prepared to share their knowledge and secrets with us, as they have been told to do so by their prophecies.

So let's brush up on our self-sufficiency skills and learn from each other how to survive far into the 21st century, whatever it may bring.

Ajay0 likes this.
  2. lyla

lyla Member

this seems like a fantastic idea for a forum! thanks!

3. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

I'm trying, I'm trying...

But this is a great idea. I hope this new forum gets lots of posts. I'll be visiting regularly :)

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Wow, COOL!!!
    This is something I feel very strongly about... my problem? Finding "green" ideas that I can actually afford to practice. Thanks for an awesome forum :)
    love,
    mom

5. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

I too feel very strongly that this information excange / meeting place can be very useful. I knew I wanted to live my life on a small self sustaining farm years before the hippie movement started. I took the long and winding road, or what a long strange trip it's been approach getting here. This is my third farm, with a lot of time and travel between them. But I've been here on my 5 acre farm now longer than I've ever been any other where. And I love it.

There are two or three topics, threads, that I can think of to start. That's based on things I've talked to folks about over the, well, decades. I really love talking to folks about all this stuff. Listening to them, plus experience, are two of the best ways I know to learn & therefore grow.

I also know some other folks around these forums, and some folks not within these forums, who I'm going to ask to come and take part. Getting folks to get together & help each other can be a big help toward more folks living a self sufficent life style.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

6. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

excellent forum idea :)

7. Dimensionality

Dimensionality Member

I roughed it for almost eight years up in Tioga County PA before a split with my ex. We lived in a 27 foot travel trailer and lived off the land, had to tote water 4 miles up an old dirt and rock mountain road, ( helps to have a snow mobile in winter). We had what we use to call a caterpillar, and, of course, an old Ford pick up truck with hitch and snow plow. We stored most of our extras in an old army tent and lived this way first 4 years till we were finished building our cordwood home. I absolutely loved it. Before we made the move, we studied everything you can think of and we had our own survival group going for awhile. I'd suggest to anyone who's not familiar with roughing it to check out Mother Earth News. I just gave the page to their archives. It's a great place to start. There also use to be a good mag called " Survive". Don't know if it's still around but they had some good articles in about tracking and fishing, etc. Love this kind of forum. Can't wait till the day I get back to that way of life. I miss it terribly!:(

8. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

hoorah! im a fan of this forum :)

9. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

I love this forum! Too bad I live in a dorm on campus.

Peace and love

10. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

Hi Skip-Good idea-I also met Alicia in 71 I spent that year at Wheelers Ranch-her home ; away from home-It is a good book-I learnd alot about how to survive without electricity and flush toilets-I don't really care to do it again but it was fun way back then-I do love the idea of living on a big piece of land with other people-It works as long as everyone respects each other and boundries are not crossed-Everyone needs their own space and open land ie. Wheelers Ranch was great at that-we faught the law and the law won-and the local government shut us down-I would say a word to the wise-If you are thinking of opening land for a commune-stay within the local laws as far as sewage and water permits etc.-it just saves ya a hastle later on if you do it legal to start with-and geta GOOD lawyer on retainer-good luck and may the free spirit of open land prevail-

11. omganesha

omganesha Member

This is a great forum, and very much needed. Alicia Bay Laurel is one of the most inspirational true-to-hippiedom ladies on the planet. Her books were my "bibles" in the early 70's when I went back to the land. She is a good friend of one of my heart-sisters, and I know she still remains true to her vision. I miss that energy, and am glad it's being taken up here! Thanks......
    OmGanesha

12. robspace2

robspace2 Banned

If there is anyone here that was at Wheelers I would like to say hi and ask how Bill is doing-Is he still there? What has happened to those rolling 400 acres?-man what a party that was!!

13. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

I really think this was a good idea skip !! I orderd living on the earth online and I recived it on hallween and I love it!!! I think this thread will bring out some amazing ideas and advice .

:)
    Thanks

14. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

shoutout to green

15. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Check out this guy, living with sheep, having them provide his sustenance and means of transport and even a way to earn money.

kinulpture and granite45 like this.
  16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

With 120 feet of rear garden, a few years ago we decided to give it a go.
    Between Jane forgetting to water the area, our dog and the foxes weeing all over everything and the cat digging the area up to make a lavatory, it was a complete disaster. The tomatoes survived, but when our son jokingly said that their unique flavour was wee, they ended up in the compost bin too.

17. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

I first saw his cart a few miles from my apt a few yrs ago. But i couldnt stop our vehicle as i was on way to drs appt. But abt a yr more or less ago a local friend shared his posts on fb. I didnt friend him until a few wks. The algorithms kinda threw me towards his posts. Also i met aaron fletcher back in 08 just after hed quit yuppie world. His hair was still short. Ive been meaning to followup on a brother on a 20muleteam wagon around so cali he was in nat geo i think. Amazing how much can be done with carts & bikes etc..

Toker likes this.
  18. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

A few years ago I lived in a house that watered the garden automatically from the outflow from a washing machine. It worked well.

Then one day when the lemon tree was full of ripe lemons, I harvested most of them. So I go try to make lemonade and turns out it smells and tastes like soap and dirty clothes! I wasn't sure how it got that way since it was a drip system into soil.

Then, a few days after I decided to throw the whole lot away, I noticed a leak in the water line showering one side of the tree with waste water. So it was only the outside of just a few lemons that got hit, and I threw away the rest, not realizing they were fine!

kinulpture and wilsjane like this.