Ways to rethink on the small home

Discussion in 'Alternative Technologies' started by Kada, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Kada

Kada Member

Not big scale, earth shaking modifications. But what are some ways for the average joe and marry to cahnge tehir home to be more efficient. I do not mean switch to beter energy saving lights and such, that is pretty simple stuff a 7 year old can do. BUt ways to conserve water, or new ways to obtain water. heat water, heat the home etc.

Already grow all our own food. But we are still hooked up to teh grid for water and electricity. being in a cold area electicity will always be hooke dup jsut in case, but we also have wood ehat which we knwo is not the best for pollution. so what are some good ways to conserve ehat, asde from clothing and regular house insulation. our house is pretty small compared to todays standard. 700sqf and an upstairs attic which is made into 2 small bedrooms or "whatever rooms". right now its storage. solar is not an option as we are in trees, and not cutting any of them :)

We are also buying an electric scooter, for grocery shopping, or whatever trips to town. Our electricity from teh city is all hydro, and we notice a huge jump when fueling vehicles with it, but seems better than gas products. any good electricity generators without relying on sun or wind, which we have little of in our area..?

thanks and love

:love:

2. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

use less? books use no electricity, and its fun for hours!

wear big sweaters and a snuggie in the winter!

maybe make sure you have no cracks? like, no draft? use an incense stick to find leaky air sots and put in some caulk, or re-insulate

3. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Wood stoves are wonderful! Renewable energy! The Amish built (LOL) quartz heaters are pretty cool. We've heated the upstairs of a farm house with little milk heater an now use one quartz heater that uses around the same amount of energy as 3 milk house heaters and feels warmer. And their silent!
    If you have a south facing roof slope and can weld copper pipe and do basic plumbing build a solar water heater. Practically free hot water.Painted black with glass covering it should blend right into the roof. Might have to cut away a little tree shade.

4. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

If I get myself a home, I want to convert as much of it as I can over to 12 VDC instead of 120 VAC. Stuff like lights and fans. They simply are not needed to be "that hot". Yeah it means having more lights, I suppose, but 20-12 VDC lights still pull less power than a 120 VAC light. I forget the details on that, and I'll dig it up if I can and bring the info here.