Violin

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by barefootconservative, Jan 15, 2017.

1. barefootconservative

barefootconservative Barefoot for God

I am a violin player, and hope to be a professional player some day. If anyone needs help with technique I can help.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I've never tried to play violin.I play guitar and keyboards etc.

Can you describe how to make a sound as the bow passes over the strings.

1 person likes this.
  3. barefootconservative

So it all starts with how much rosin is on the bow. Without rosin, the horsehair will make a very whispery sound. The key to a good sound is keeping a straight bow, meaning parallel to the bridge and fingerboard, and keep it in between the bridge and fingerboard, and don't press too hard but don't do it too light. Make sure the bow is tightened, but not too tight. Also hold it with a relaxed hand. Tension is bad.

The way it works is the horsehair when rosined grips the strings and as you move the bow, it makes the string vibrate, and that sound goes through the bridge then transfers to the wood.

Hope that helps.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Well I have so many things I want to do and you can't do everything.But you can pick up student violins quite cheaply right.So maybe...How about practicing? Does it disturb the neighbours?

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The violin is something that is ingrown where I live. We build fantastic violins here in Mittenwald. People will come from all over the world to buy a violin from Mittenwald. :)

I've always wanted to learn the violin or fiddle.

To me, if a song has a violin in it it's automatically a good song. Hands down. Country/folk music anyway.

6. barefootconservative

Yes, you can get cheap student violins. Just make sure they're not pure crap. If you're worried about disturbing neighbors, you can get a practice mute.

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

What is a practice mute please?

8. barefootconservative

It is something you put over the top of the bridge that dampens the sound so it's quieter. You can find them on Amazon.