Veteran's Day In The USA

Discussion in 'People' started by Aerianne, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Veterans often suffer homelessness, joblessness, PTSD, mental disabilites, substance abuse, high suicide rates...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aerianne

That being said, I honor all Veterans of the USA and their allies.

[​IMG]

magickman, GLENGLEN and Mallyboppa like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

FB_IMG_1510432496443.jpg I debated posting this but eh, why not. My grandfather in WWII and father in the Vietnam War

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

Aerianne likes this.
  5. Aerianne

This is my daddy. I think he was in Morocco.

[​IMG]

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Homeless Vets are a Worldwide issue - which generations through the passing of time/s fail to appreciate

Aerianne likes this.
  7. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I think that's Istanbul.

8. Aerianne

Why would you think that?

Maybe it's Casablanca; or maybe it's Sicily.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  9. GeorgeJetStoned

It looks like the same aqueduct they have in old Istanbul.

10. Aerianne

I don't think the USS Philadelphia went to Istanbul during the time he served.

11. GeorgeJetStoned

Perhaps not, the Romans built those things all over the world (of the time). The one I speak of fills a cistern less than a kn from the Bosphorus and about 100 meters or so from the Hagia Sophia. When I saw it, the city was wrapped all over compared to the photograph. But the direction of the sun is exactly as I recall it.

Aerianne likes this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

To be honest what I like about being a veteran is all the free stuff and discounts

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The difference in generations is interesting to me. The WW2 guys wear their hats with whatever unit or ship they were on and war seems like some fun club where all their Friends were. The guys my age shoot themselves after drinking too much. I don't see them wearing hats. I did some one guy in my sisters neighborhood with a "I was in Iraq" sing in the yard though. OK what do I do with that info? Are you happy about that? Do you want me not shoot fireworks on the 4th so you don't think Charlie is coming? I am confused because it seems like something you don't put in a sign in the yard.

14. Aerianne

My father never treated it like "some fun club".

He never spoke about his time in the service.

It drove him to alcoholism; which he ended up in recovery from.

War is traumatic.

If they're wearing hats, as my brother-in-law does (from the Viet Nam War), maybe they are proud they survived and want a little respect.

What's wrong with comradery?

People sit around here and talk about getting high.

What about having survived a mother fucking war? That's something to discuss.

Meliai likes this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont think so, I was going to comment on the effects my own family has seen generationally from war but I didn't feel like getting into it, but since you mentioned it I will

My grandfather was kind of a dick, he was cold and distant and easy to anger. And according to my grandmother he was not like this before WWII.

The Vietnam War ruined my dad. He came back a heroin addict, kicked that before I was born but was still an alcoholic until it eventually killed him. He had a lot of demons and its no surprise my mom chose a mate like that because of how her dad was.

I think the difference is there were just more people overall who fought in WWII and Vietnam War. Iraq vets are more likely to feel isolated after transitioning to to civilian life because they're less likely to come across other people who served

tumbling.dice and Aerianne like this.
  16. Aerianne

My dad came across like your grandfather.

After he retired from running his own business where he said "somebody had to be the asshole", he mellowed with age.

He didn't like Italian food. He didn't like mom to wear perfume. She thought those things were memories from being in port in Sicily.

He damn sure didn't like Japanese food or anything else to do with Japan.

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

My grandfather was the same way. He was the most kind, caring, liberal-minded person I ever knew--especially when you consider the generation he was from. Not a racist or hateful bone in his body.

Except for the Japanese. He never went into detail about anything specific, but I always just assumed he experienced something that he just couldn't get over.

Aerianne likes this.
  18. Lord_Corgi

Lord_Corgi Members

My brother and grandfather are both veterans. I don't care much for how the U.S. military operates at times, but I'm still proud of my family who served when they were needed the most

Also, fun fact, veteran's day is my birthday!

Meliai, Aerianne and GLENGLEN like this.
  19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

My grandfather was a surgeon in WWII in the South Pacific, fighting Tojo and the Japanese. No one else in the family served since he did.

Aerianne and Lord_Corgi like this.
  20. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

My Dad served two of his three years in Alaska, in a Missile Battery in Fairbanks. Said U2 spy planes were damn fast on the radar screen (and they got told to quit tracking them in a hot phone call! lol)
    They had a battery of Nike Hercules Missiles there, right next door to USSR. Early 60s, things got a little crazy.
    They sent him to an AFB in Texas, there was an underground storage facility, big enough to house B-52 planes. The Army had a battery of their missiles there to protect the Air Force Base.
    I was born in their military hospital. We were damn yankees there...he was glad to come home. My Aunt lived and worked in a town not far from there. She was a sweet lady, never married. (?)

GLENGLEN likes this.