Vagabonds, wanna hear from you!

Discussion in 'Backpackers Message Forum' started by crewcut, Apr 25, 2014.

1. crewcut

crewcut Member

Hi there, is there anybody currently on the road? you hitch or you live out of your wheels? what kind of things do you do for income along the way? :confused:
    Please share your experiences, wondering mainly if we have anyone that travels and keeps tabs on the forums here. Thanks! and hopefully your having the journey you wanted&needed or if it was a rough patch heres to gettin' leveled out.
    - CC

I got a :Chevy_anim: van and a dream, myself.

2. crewcut

crewcut Member

Bump. because damnit if there is anything that might drive me to other forums its lack of travelers searching these boards here. Pipe up if your on the road & living free.

3. raincoast

raincoast Member

Most folks on the road aren't gonna be doing too much web-browsing. I've spent about 50% of the time out of the last 4 years on the road and I really never went online during those times other than perhaps trying to get some map directions for some future locations I wanted to explore, or perhaps to do some mass-email-reading-and-sending.
    I've spent about 80% of my travelling time hitching, usually alone, but sometime with a lady friend. I spent some time travelling in a 78' Oldsmobile 98 and that was a blast... Gas and insurance are always a bitch though, and the whole freedom thing is toned down a tad when you have to raise a certain amount of cash every month for such things (I live in BC, and insurance Is pretty hefty). You meet a lot more people hitchhiking and a lot more wild adventures take place (I have met many great friends this way... hell I got picked up by 10 girls in a RV having a stagette party once. That made everything alllllll worth it).
    As for money, I usually would get off the road and stay with friends in town and work work work and save save save! In general I could usually make it about 2 months per $1000, but honestly, its much easier to spend cash when you have a bulk amount like that, compared to earning a small amount a day while on the road. I did a lot of busking as well, and some odd jobs here and there. There are many illegal ways to make money as well, but that's no good. I found towards the end of my time on the road I became less of a 'Freedom seeking hippie type' and more of an 'Anarchist-Thrill Seeker-Outlaw type'.

Try it sometime!

4. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Rubbertramp here, 2 years so far, liveaboard 3 years before that

5. I sleep in dirt