United States of Politics in 2018

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Seems to me that when an entity like Chic-Fil-A becomes high profile activist in attacking gays, it's perfectly reasonable for gays to respond by not patronizing the place. When a TV celebrity attacks kids, it's reasonable for kids to fight back. Why should they take it sitting down? Prudent businessmen don't get high profile involved in political controversies for that reason. When they do, they take their chances.

2. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Tge thing that ties them together is the fact they are public figures that have at least some sway in what the public thinks. But since you think they are different, there's a Parkland survivor that is pro gun rights and hehe's being critized. Is he right?

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Being criticized by whom? His fellow student survivors? That's their right. I'm not aware that he's been personally attacked and ridiculed by a prominent national TV celebrity. The worst I know of that happened to him is CNN cancelled in interview with him, ostensibly for sharing a tweet calling the interviewer Faith Baldwin a “fake news hypocrite”. Not quite the same. He has a right to his beliefs. Others have a right to criticize his beliefs. But for adults to attack him and ridicule him personally would be out of bounds. Do you have evidence they have?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Everything about the philosophy is terrorism.

Let us do what we want and give us the right to kill or we will kill. They openly threaten this any time gun laws are discussed. What does ISIS do when you make them mad? Just like ISIS the NRA will not kill unless you challenge them. They say an armed society is polite society because everyone agrees guns are the way of life. A ISIS Islamic sociery is peaceful because everyone follows Islam and does not challenge it. It's bad interpretation of "religion of peace" but that is another topic.

The point is violence is not needed until it is for both of you. And both of you accept that is the way you deal with people who do not live like you do.

5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

High Profile? The only way I found out about Chic-Fil-A was from here. I have yet to hear Chi-Fil-A show a view about gays. I didn't even know there was a GAY thing with them. Never seen any protest etc. I just see lines streaming for blocks all the time of people buying from them.

But I do agree that it won't be high profile participation. I sure as hell don't need someone telling me I'm being discriminatory because I spend my money based on a political belief. Even if they are the ones that showed me they did, to enlighten me.

6. storch

storch banned

Which one of them said that?

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You should get out more. Chic-Fil-A has 1,608 restaurants, sales of more than $4 billion and employees who, according to President Dan Cathy, are trained “to focus on values rooted in the Bible.” Chick-fil-A's across the country shut down on Sundays.
    “We don’t claim to be a Christian business," Cathy said. "But as an organization we can operate on biblical principles.” So they've opted for "biblical" patrons, much like those businesses that use the fish as their logo. And that's okay (personally, as a Christian, I find it offensive, but I don't get militant about it). A report from Equality Matters, a gay advocacy group, charged that Chick-fil-A donated more than $3 million between 2003 and 2009 to Christian groups that oppose homosexuality. Hence the boycott. Chic-Fil-A denied the charge. In 2014 tax filings showed the cahin stopped funding all but one organization which had been previously criticized. In September 2012, TCRA (The Civil Rights Agenda) nnounced that Chick-fil-A has "ceased donating to organizations that promote discrimination, specifically against LGBT civil rights". Cathy agreed that the "lingering identity" of Chick-fil-A with "anti-gay groups" that umped to his defense in 2012 meant "alienating market segments":

I've never seen any protest at Chic-Fil_A either. Individuals in a free country can make their own decisions about where to eat or not eat . But for some, eating at a restaurant that they think is actively campaigning against their rights may override their fondness for fast food chicken. Your effort to equate this with a hypothetical pattern of boycotting anybody who disagrees with one's political viewpoint is lame.
    Is Chick-fil-A anti-gay marriage? 'Guilty as charged,' leader says
    Chick-fil-A CEO Cathy: Gay Marriage Still Wrong, But I'll Shut Up About It And Sell Chicken
    Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Nothing hypothetical about it. David Hogg isn't hypothetical in his campaign to boycott whom he politically disagrees with. Nothing hypothetical about the advertisers that left Laura Ingrham. Of her rise in viewers since.

I won't be hypothetical in where I spend my money. If the game plan for the left is to boycott, I support that right with no issues.

Eff anyone who tells me I can't do the same.

9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No, that was a specific boycott, targeted against a specific offender. Laura cast the first stone. Your grumpy old man rant went on to complain about "today's times", when you can't just enjoy a chicken sandwich anymore without choosing a side, yada yada yada. Welcome to the twenty-first century. You act as tho you and those of similar political persuasion are just good ol' boys never meaning no harm who would be content to enjoy your chicken sandwiches in peace if it weren't for THEM. The right winger--Birchers, Neocons, Tea Partyers, Alt Right, Fox & Friends, Trumpsters, etc.--have been engaged in a "take no prisoners" approach for decades, so don't give us that innocent bystander routine.

McFuddy likes this.
  10. Maccabee

Never argued otherwise. In fact that was my point along with the point that because someone survived a mass shooting doesn't automatically makes their position right or immune to criticism.
    Actually he was attacked by a prominent TV celebrity. Skip to the 15 minute mark.

I agree it's out of bounds but it was not unprovoked. Hogg routinely called the NRA and those that support them or supported by them child murderers. If you gave a choice between calling people child murderers vs mocking someone's inability to get into a college as to which is worse, I would go with the former.

11. Maccabee

Wanting every law abiding citizen to be armed is terrorism. Please tell me more.
    Context is key. First, aside from hunting, nobody is advocating killing anyone. Second, even if the premise is true, who do they want killed? Attempted murderers, rapists, carjackers, and other violent felons. So in other words, if they advocate killing anyone, it's the same people a lot of us have no problem if they were killed in the first place.
    Evidence?
    Nice projection.

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Lol. Dude. I'll respect everyone's right to take a stance for what they believe in. I could care less what you think of the way I choose to care about what I do to bring about changes in my favor. If someone's wants to "punish" Chic-Fil-A, go right ahead. Just don't bitch at someone that takes the same approach on a larger scale to take that battle head on against them. Or Chic-Fil-A thrives as a result.. Live and Let Live was fine with me. Still is. I happen to like Chic-Fil-A over other fast food choices. And I happen to support gay rights. This issue doesn't cause me to be conflicted over a Chicken Sandwich. But I'm not as socially engaged at that level. Too many other ways to spend my time. But I will consider the same philosophy at higher levels now. You're right about being out of touch. If we have to eat a Chicken Sandwich based on politics, I'm out of touch. Seems like everything is war now. No problem. I will stay engaged at new levels now. It won't change what happens to me in the end game. The left has already proved they are reproducing faster than the right. It's only a matter of time when the numbers will be past the point of no return. I'll be gone so it won't be my fight anyway. I just plan on taking it all with me.

Don't really give a rats ass how anyone that opposes my views feel about it.

When I go to Chic-Fil-A, I get good polite service, a good quality product, a pretty clean place to eat. I have never seen a Cross, heard anyone ask me to pray, or tell me I'm blessed. Never even heard the word God or Christ used there by anyone, including customers. So if the only thing I see is what I just described and those are "Christian Values" they are getting in training, then Praise the Lord and pass the ketchup, I'll keep buying there.

13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

You seem to be insinuating that if it’s not on TV, it’s fake news.

You do realize that it’s ~5 media companies that control televised media, right?

If you must know, I just follow my favorite journalists and content creators on YouTube, Bitchute, and twitter. Most of whom I follow are: Gavin McInnis, Dave Rubin, Sargon of Akkad, Black Pidgeon, Godfrey Elfwick, Milo Yiannopolous, Lauren Southern, Daisy Cousins, Amazing Atheist, Steven Crowder, Joe Rogen, Ron Paul, Julie Borowski, Candace Owens, Ben Shapiro, Brittany Pettybone, Ayaan Hirsi-Ali, Christina Hoff Sommers, Armored Skeptic, Sarah Abdalah, Paul Joseph Watson, /pol/, Stefan Molyneux, and more. When I’m in my car, I’ll listen to IJPR and NPR.

Then I come on HipForums to get a diversity of opinion from people who I thought were tolerant liberals who liked diversity. Seems like it’s getting to the point where diversity of opinion is not tolerated.

farmerdon, NotMyRealName and Orison like this.
  14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

So Okie, may I ask you which of the corporate alphabet soup channels is your favorite?

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

OMG. if those are your sources, no wonder you have such a messed up world view. Rght wing ideologues, one and all.

McFuddy likes this.
  16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

What would you do if the goverment banned all guns tomorrow? They said turn them or if we catch you it's prison time. No discussions about Ar-15 or any other gun just guns. Many gun owners would not then attack the goverment right or what is the point of having a gun? This the day you prepared for. How many gun owners would say something like "if you want my guns come and take them". Implying that you should come over here so I can shoot you. What kind of life style is that? This is what I mean by domestic terrorism. You have the gun because if someone tried to take it you need to use it.

It's likely the "militias' or whatever they would like to call themselves would attack American police or military even if most Americans were OK with these new laws. That would kind of make them a "terrorist" right?

Something like that is not happening soon in American politics. Some gun owing Americans are fine with giving up all guns and some for more control. If more of those people feel that way politically some day it could. But if that day came there would be people that would not.

17. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Laura Ingraham delivered her attack on her regular Fox show, holding him up to public ridicule for "whining" about being turned down by colleges. He never attacked her personally before the incident. Obviously, what she didn't like about him were his views on the gun issue, so she attacks his "whining". The alleged "attack" by Joan Walsh consisted of her "liking" a tweet by an indignant father who lost a child in the Parkland attack and replying to his tweet critical of her for doing that. This was done on twitter. She tweeted "are you really policing who likes tweets from a grieving father?" and said ""good luck handling your stress." It was not done on her show, and it was in reply to his criticism of her. If you don't see a difference between what she did and what Ingraham did on her show, I'll let someone else explain it to you.

18. storch

storch banned

Boy, if stereotyping counted for anything, you'd have a point, but . . .

So, what NRA person said Let us do what we want and give us the right to kill or we will kill?

19. Maccabee

Hide them.
    If it came to the point where the government outright go door to door confiscating all firearms, we are no longer dealing with the same government you and I are familiar. At that point, our government either was taken over by a dictator or we have been invaded. Let me ask you this, if Kim Jong Un came into power tomorrow, what would you do?
    Depends on who started it. If the government started it then they are at fault. Same with if the people started it.
    Again, for that to happen, something catastrophic must happen furst where rule of law is already out the window.

20. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

That goes double for NPR

6-eyed shaman likes this.