Tomb Raider Is Now Older Than Most Dogs Or Whisky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Walking Dickhead, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Now I remember something a little bit different. Used to be you would try to jump to a block and Lara would miss! :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

4. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Before I say anything..

[​IMG]

There was a way to do it, and the great thing about it it was repeatable. So no, you wouldn't miss most of the time. It's just you and the others who #didn'tgetit didn't get it.

Walk to the edge, jump back one block, run and jump, hold x... worked fine for me, because like many others I bothered to take the time to learn how to play the game, as opposed to whning about the fact it wasn't the same as Doom or Halo.

Now, with the new controls or at least the first or second reboot, ie. Legend you do miss because the game engine is designed for ineptness.

That was the point where I got fed up with Leg End, going through a sequence to get to a point in the game only to fall off the fucking edge of a cliff, or not get close enough to grab it or something... because the game engine was crap.

5. Asmodean

Like you did with the latest game? :p

(as opposed to whining about the fact it wasn't the same as a Tomb raider game a decade or longer ago) ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. The Walking Dickhead

No you don't! The new game engine is totally different. You don't get it, we have established that.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I remember aiming and missing! There was a problem with the aiming at angles or something that I distinctly remember laughing at because Lara didn't always make her jumps. I think you'll like Rise of the Tomb Raider though, maybe after you've exhausted all of your other options; such as replaying earlier games from the series.

Personally, I was just glad they even made a new TR game. There have been 2 so far since the next gen consoles came out. I take that back. I think Tomb Raider Definitive Edition came out before Xbox1/PS4. Then Rise of the Tomb Raider came out later, once the 2 consoles had been released. It doesn't matter. My point was that I enjoyed the pace of gameplay in RotTR.

8. The Walking Dickhead

That would happen some of the time, like 1% of the time. Once you get a handle on the controls, which weren't even that difficult.

I think the problem is people didn't like the fact forward was always centred on Lara, whereas now... some folk didn't get that, but I prefered it. It was less confusing. The new engine doesn't lend itself to 3D platform gaming, which is ultimately what Tomb Raider is.

I doubt I will like it. I have tried liking new TR games many times since TR3 and it never works.

1 person likes this.
  9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

while we are at it, why did they change everything around in resident evil, i want the same game over and over again there also. now its all this fancy 3d shooting crap in which you can peak around corners, back in my day that shit didnt fly. you went around the corner and just hoped you had the right weapon for what was there.

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

anyway, now that a link to the game threads is up..........

11. Asmodean

I think this thread should be in the conspiracy subforum :-D

12. The Walking Dickhead

I could never get into Rezzie Evil, despite my PSX mates all raving about it. I didn't like the controls.

Classic TR is what I like. I also don't mind the new controls that came out with Halo on the X-Box.

Every game that comes out doesn't have to have the same bloody games engine?

They could at least have given gamers the fucking option on the TR reboots, what would the harm in that have been...

The feminism angle is still open for debate.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i would just rather look at a female body than a male one....even in video format.
    but i hate when there is an arnold looking guy who has lower strength stats than a lara looking girl. its ok to take liberties but dont be outright ridiculous.

14. Asmodean

Resident evil 4 was the best. I'm not really big on zombie games or the zombie setting in general though (which means they SUCK! ;) JK)

If you do dig zombie games check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7C4TmW9s4

I actually understand that btw. It is just that the newest TR is the best that happened to the franchise in years. That it is different than the original from like 15 years ago doesn't mean much in terms of how good it is or not. It is good, but not if you want it to be the same like the original.

15. The Walking Dickhead

I found it too claustrophobic. I miss the old days where Lara would walk through enormous tombs and ruins and stuff. Same reason I couldn't get into Bioshock, as the graphics have gotten better the angle of view has become more limited.

16. The Walking Dickhead

Also, some of Lara's new abilities are just stupid. Like the ability to climb walls by jumping up them with her hands and stuff..

But some of her original abilities were also kind of stupid, like the ability to push massive blocks of stone that weigh ten tons and somersaulting from side to side. Hey, it's just a game though. The most important thing is it's fun to play.

TRIII was my favourite. After that I started buying them on the PC and the graphics on 4 and 5 were just horrible on the PC. At least they were on my PC, which was pretty state of the art at the time. Maybe just had the wrong graphics card.

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Did you look under "Games"?
    http://www.hipforums.com/forum/forum/423-games/

Closing. This is not a women's issue.

18. The Walking Dickhead

Lara Croft is a female icon who's character has divided opinion among feminists.

http://www.gamestudies.org/0202/kennedy/

Put it here if you like, the debate appears to have centred more on the gaming aspect anyway. It's not easy to find specific forums on here owing to the fact there are millions of forums and subforums. It has relevance to both gaming and women's issues, and I thought I'd be a bit off beat and put it in women's issues. Noone wants to talk about that aspect though, so...

19. The Walking Dickhead

TBH I'd have thought Alt Lifestyle or Hip Arts and culture would more the more obvious places to look for a gaming sub forum than Mind Trips? Hence why I missed it. I looked down and saw Forum Games, and my mind went blind to Games underneath because I don't know, psychological mind tricks or something.

20. Asmodean

No bigge. At least you know there's a games forum now!

I thought the series became notoriously bad after the 3rd one indeed. It's why I only got interested when it got rebooted again and skipped games like Underworld and Legend which seem not so bad after all (because the ones before those were said to be so bad I thought this series was just lost. The Tomb raider movies didn't help either of course :p)

Btw I checked: there's a new Oddworld in the making but not a platform game unfortunately.